Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/23/2015, 12:47 AM   #126
shih87
Registered Member

My DC pump (RD3 Speedy 80w) was STOP last night.

It only run for about 20 days. Thanks God today is last day of Lunar New Year Holiday so I can work on it.

Please see picture below...First picture was taken on my Royal Exclusive RD3 Speedy 80W return pump (DC). It was completely stuck, I spend almost 30 minutes to pull the rotor out and clean it. The 2nd picture was taken on my Royal Exclusive Red Dragan 6500 return pump (AC), I think it will get stuck soon.

Now leave the question is.. Why only less than 30 days calcium(?) buildup dramatically!? I was using same balling method as my old tank run for 3 years. In last 6 months of old tank years, I did aware my Calcium(?) build up faster since I swap my baking soda, CaCL2, MgCL2 to different sources. Could that be the reason? I now using Arm & Hammer Pure Baking Soda from Costco, which many reefers recommended and use it as well. What could be the reason my Calcium(?) build up much faster? I have to solve the puzzle to avoid it happen again when I am out of town....

Any idea? Please chip in.....

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Aquaforest ROTM June 2019
shih87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2015, 05:23 AM   #127
Ancelot
Registered Member

Did you wash your sand before adding in?
Any mechanical filtration in your tank?

Unread 02/23/2015, 06:10 AM   #128
Nanodoc
Registered Member

I wish I had a friend like Dr. Bridge.
Let us know when he starts marketing it.

Nanodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2015, 10:32 AM   #129
justinky
Registered Member

Amazing tank and equipment, envious .

Unread 02/23/2015, 12:41 PM   #130
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shih87 View Post
My DC pump (RD3 Speedy 80w) was STOP last night.

It only run for about 20 days. Thanks God today is last day of Lunar New Year Holiday so I can work on it.

Please see picture below...First picture was taken on my Royal Exclusive RD3 Speedy 80W return pump (DC). It was completely stuck, I spend almost 30 minutes to pull the rotor out and clean it. The 2nd picture was taken on my Royal Exclusive Red Dragan 6500 return pump (AC), I think it will get stuck soon.

Now leave the question is.. Why only less than 30 days calcium(?) buildup dramatically!? I was using same balling method as my old tank run for 3 years. In last 6 months of old tank years, I did aware my Calcium(?) build up faster since I swap my baking soda, CaCL2, MgCL2 to different sources. Could that be the reason? I now using Arm & Hammer Pure Baking Soda from Costco, which many reefers recommended and use it as well. What could be the reason my Calcium(?) build up much faster? I have to solve the puzzle to avoid it happen again when I am out of town....

Any idea? Please chip in.....
Did you make your initial saltwater in the display/tank? If so that is the reason. When starting a new tank I always make the saltwater in another container and slowly transfer to main tank.

My pump for mixing saltwater always looks like this and builds up this stuff after making saltwater for a few weeks. So if you had the skimmer running during this time this could be the cause.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2015, 12:42 PM   #131
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

What salt brand are you using?

Unread 02/23/2015, 07:55 PM   #132
shih87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancelot View Post
Did you wash your sand before adding in?
Any mechanical filtration in your tank?
I did wash sand before placed in and use "some" mechanical filtration, but not to detail to #200 size. My sump capable to add #200 filter sock, I may just do it now. Thanks for the reminder....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanodoc View Post
I wish I had a friend like Dr. Bridge.
Let us know when he starts marketing it.
I am not sure he has any near future plan to sale, but who know if POC success and no such product in market for a while.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinky View Post
Amazing tank and equipment, envious .
Thanks. Let's keep equipment cost as secret. Hahaha...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
Did you make your initial saltwater in the display/tank? If so that is the reason. When starting a new tank I always make the saltwater in another container and slowly transfer to main tank.

My pump for mixing saltwater always looks like this and builds up this stuff after making saltwater for a few weeks. So if you had the skimmer running during this time this could be the cause.
Sahin... I did not make initial saltwater in tank, but you still correct somehow.
Remember what I post on my first water change ?http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...&postcount=100 I think it may contributed a lot what happen here.
Plus, even I did not use tank to mix initial saltwater, I did run small amount salinity correction by mixing salt in minutes and then pull in sump, which I never do it this way in old tank.
What am I thinking
A lesson learn and thanks, my friend...

Quote:
What salt brand are you using?
I use zeovit reefer's best coral reef salt, BTW....

R二R TOTM Oct 2017

Last edited by shih87; 02/23/2015 at 08:12 PM.
Unread 02/24/2015, 08:46 AM   #133
shih87
Registered Member

I think I can accept the main reason cause calcium build up within 20 days due to my careless (e.g. pull in not well-mixed saltwater, dosing solutions near to pump, etc...). However, it must be other chemistry reason out there that I have not yet figured out cause rotor build up different things.

Please see below... first picture shows that rotor build up dirt
RD 6500 @ 2013.5.1

second picture taken yesterday but similar to last time de-mount pump in old tank, it build up calcium....why!!!???
RD 6500 @ 2015.2.23

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Unread 02/24/2015, 04:22 PM   #134
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
I think I can accept the main reason cause calcium build up within 20 days due to my careless (e.g. pull in not well-mixed saltwater, dosing solutions near to pump, etc...). However, it must be other chemistry reason out there that I have not yet figured out cause rotor build up different things.

Please see below... first picture shows that rotor build up dirt
RD 6500 @ 2013.5.1

second picture taken yesterday but similar to last time de-mount pump in old tank, it build up calcium....why!!!???
RD 6500 @ 2015.2.23
I dose in an area of high flow in my tank and never get this. The initial buildup can be caused by adding saltwater which is mixed in just minutes...if not mixed properly, there can be some precipitation and hence buildup on the pump.

However, if its getting the buildup again, then I'd say it is a different issue. Check if the pump is getting too hot it can cause localised calcium and mineral deposit.

If you can, place the impeller in vinegar from the grocery shop and then allow the calcium deposit to come off fully. Might take a few hours, but its OK.

When newly cleaned take photo. Then start up skimmer again with clean impeller and see what the result is after a few days. If it getting the strong calcium deposit within a few days, I think heat or excessive dosing or dosing near the skimmer intake is maybe causing this.

Unread 02/24/2015, 04:24 PM   #135
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

One more thing; if there is still some fine silt from the newly added rocks and sand, this can also cause the deposit on the impeller. Just clean in vinegar and recheck.

Unread 02/26/2015, 08:40 AM   #136
zaheda
Registered Member

Great setup you have going there. Why don't you use equipment made in Taiwan. JNS made in Taiwan is of very high quality and can match the equipment in terms of performance, much cheaper to.

zaheda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2015, 06:46 AM   #137
shih87
Registered Member

Quote:
I dose in an area of high flow in my tank and never get this. The initial buildup can be caused by adding saltwater which is mixed in just minutes...if not mixed properly, there can be some precipitation and hence buildup on the pump.

However, if its getting the buildup again, then I'd say it is a different issue. Check if the pump is getting too hot it can cause localised calcium and mineral deposit.

If you can, place the impeller in vinegar from the grocery shop and then allow the calcium deposit to come off fully. Might take a few hours, but its OK.

When newly cleaned take photo. Then start up skimmer again with clean impeller and see what the result is after a few days. If it getting the strong calcium deposit within a few days, I think heat or excessive dosing or dosing near the skimmer intake is maybe causing this.
Thanks, sahin. You are right, friends in Taiwan also reminded me something similar about the heat with following reference....

http://edafologia.ugr.es/carbonat/paramew.htm

The RD3 Speedy has a red tube to cool down rotor, but it also indicate RD3 rotor maybe over heat, plus the red tube may also increase chance to pull my un-mixed salt into rotor.

Quote:
One more thing; if there is still some fine silt from the newly added rocks and sand, this can also cause the deposit on the impeller. Just clean in vinegar and recheck.
Good plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaheda View Post
Great setup you have going there. Why don't you use equipment made in Taiwan. JNS made in Taiwan is of very high quality and can match the equipment in terms of performance, much cheaper to.
JNS indeed good product for reef, many Taiwan LFS choose it over other product names, so I have no doubt at all. However, I am willing to pay a bit more for extra details, especial after had a fire accident a few year back.

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Unread 02/27/2015, 03:05 PM   #138
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Apologies if its somewhere already in the thread, but what salt are you using?

Unread 02/27/2015, 09:55 PM   #139
shih87
Registered Member

Quote:
Apologies if its somewhere already in the thread, but what salt are you using?
I use ZEOvit Reefer's Best Coral Reef Salt for almost 2 years, and still have four boxes left. I plan to rotate Zeovit salt (KH ~5.6 dkh) and D2D H2 Ocean salt (KH ~ 7.5 dkh) for weekly 5% water change, since D2D Ocean salt has very similar parameters and I can get almost half price (NTD2700 vs NTD 1500).

What do you guys think?

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Unread 02/28/2015, 07:30 AM   #140
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
I use ZEOvit Reefer's Best Coral Reef Salt for almost 2 years, and still have four boxes left. I plan to rotate Zeovit salt (KH ~5.6 dkh) and D2D H2 Ocean salt (KH ~ 7.5 dkh) for weekly 5% water change, since D2D Ocean salt has very similar parameters and I can get almost half price (NTD2700 vs NTD 1500).

What do you guys think?
I am thinking not using D&D H2Ocean Pro anymore....been using it for 5 years continuously and whilst its high in parameters such as Ca, Alk and Mg; not all corals colour up...I dont know...Prior to that one I used ReefCrystals or Instant Ocean and just feel like I had better overall result with those salts. Back then I didnt have the knowledge of SPS that I have now, but good results was easy to get in the SPS.

H2Ocean Pro is an evaporated salt, I think I am going to go with an 100% artificial salt like ReefCrystals.

I might even switch to KZ Reefers best.

Unread 02/28/2015, 11:38 PM   #141
AhmedLFC
Registered Member

Amazing build quality and attention to detail.

Residue on impeller could also be related to dosing intervals. Simple one but easy to overlook. Are you spreading your dosing solutions intervals or all at the same time? This combined with heat could be speeding up sediment build up on impeller.

AhmedLFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2015, 05:36 AM   #142
shih87
Registered Member

Quote:
I am thinking not using D&D H2Ocean Pro anymore....been using it for 5 years continuously and whilst its high in parameters such as Ca, Alk and Mg; not all corals colour up...I dont know...Prior to that one I used ReefCrystals or Instant Ocean and just feel like I had better overall result with those salts. Back then I didnt have the knowledge of SPS that I have now, but good results was easy to get in the SPS.

H2Ocean Pro is an evaporated salt, I think I am going to go with an 100% artificial salt like ReefCrystals.

I might even switch to KZ Reefers best.
Good to know. I did not aware H2Ocean Pro is an evaporated salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhmedLFC View Post
Amazing build quality and attention to detail.

Residue on impeller could also be related to dosing intervals. Simple one but easy to overlook. Are you spreading your dosing solutions intervals or all at the same time? This combined with heat could be speeding up sediment build up on impeller.
Good points.
My KH dosing is 24 times a day at clock hours, and Ca, Mg were dosing at 3:10, 15:10, and 9:10, 21:10 separately, and now I change them to 3:30, 15:30, 9:30, and 21:30 to extend the gap between KH and their dosing times. Hope it work better.
Many thanks.

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Unread 03/07/2015, 07:00 AM   #143
shih87
Registered Member

FTS for a 2 months tank...

new members in tank...

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Unread 03/07/2015, 08:26 AM   #144
AhmedLFC
Registered Member

Nice choice of fish looking great mate

Unread 03/07/2015, 12:19 PM   #145
cugly
Dansreeftank

Looking great bud its coming along nicely

Unread 03/07/2015, 09:47 PM   #146
shih87
Registered Member

Quote:
Nice choice of fish looking great mate
Thanks.

BTW...I do not have experience to keep Pseudanthias parvirostris ( x8 ) and Pseudanthias pulcherrimus (x2 ) mixed in tank. Any tips and suggestions are welcome

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Unread 03/07/2015, 09:51 PM   #147
shih87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cugly View Post
Looking great bud its coming along nicely
Thanks.

Allow me sharing a few SPS in tank for more than 40 days. They start to develope different color, PE, and growing. I hope turn to good direction, but not sure yet.

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Unread 03/08/2015, 04:08 AM   #148
AhmedLFC
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks.

BTW...I do not have experience to keep Pseudanthias parvirostris ( x8 ) and Pseudanthias pulcherrimus (x2 ) mixed in tank. Any tips and suggestions are welcome
Lots of small feeds and vary the size of foods, anthias are more column grazers, its worh mashing the food in your hands so there are lots of particles in the water column. You should notice them freak out with feeding activity.

HTH

Tank looking stunning. Glad to hear you changed dosing intervals.

Unread 03/09/2015, 06:58 AM   #149
shih87
Registered Member

Quote:
Lots of small feeds and vary the size of foods, anthias are more column grazers, its worh mashing the food in your hands so there are lots of particles in the water column. You should notice them freak out with feeding activity.

HTH

Tank looking stunning. Glad to hear you changed dosing intervals.
Thanks. I used to feed fish once a day with just dry pellet. Looks like I need to figure out how to auto feed three times a day with brine shrimp and copepods

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Unread 03/09/2015, 05:39 PM   #150
AhmedLFC
Registered Member

Here's how I do it

http://youtu.be/5wjARZ2Qhf8