Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/16/2015, 05:53 AM   #26
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I'll give that a go, thanks.

Edit: £16.99 for 1L 15mm Siporax, £11.95 shipping to Canada, £3.29 import fees. That sounds pretty reasonable to me.

None ship to Canada.
That is too expensive. You can get it £9.99 for 1 L elsewhere. Whether or not you can have it shipped to USA/Canada is another matter.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Siporax.JPG (25.8 KB, 261 views)

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2015, 07:16 AM   #27
Myka
Reefing since '93

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
That is too expensive. You can get it £9.99 for 1 L elsewhere. Whether or not you can have it shipped to USA/Canada is another matter.
Oh, I see what you mean now. Still, it's the cheapest thing I've bought for my tank in recent memory. Heck, the total cost is less than a bag of sand.

Current Tank Info: 69 SPS (73 gal net) established July 1/15. (HBD Canada!) ATB 840, ATI 6-bulb dimmable. Fauna Marin balling lite method.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2015, 07:56 AM   #28
rovster
Registered Member

LOL at price. I paid $42 shipped for 2L which should be good on my 120 gal system. Going to take it slow. I wonder if I should cure the stones? Or just throw them in there and go!

rovster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2015, 08:26 AM   #29
Myka
Reefing since '93

You guys say Siporax works better if you seed, how are you guys doing that? Do you just mean running them on a different system or in a live rock tub or dosing bacteria into the input of the Siporax filter or...? Can't you just put them online and they will start to work after some weeks?

Current Tank Info: 69 SPS (73 gal net) established July 1/15. (HBD Canada!) ATB 840, ATI 6-bulb dimmable. Fauna Marin balling lite method.
Unread 09/16/2015, 08:31 AM   #30
pstank1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovster View Post
LOL at price. I paid $42 shipped for 2L which should be good on my 120 gal system. Going to take it slow. I wonder if I should cure the stones? Or just throw them in there and go!
There should be nothing on them to cure, just give them a good rinse and add them to your system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
You guys say Siporax works better if you seed, how are you guys doing that? Do you just mean running them on a different system or in a live rock tub or dosing bacteria into the input of the Siporax filter or...? Can't you just put them online and they will start to work after some weeks?
It takes a few months for a good bacteria culture to start growing on the media, you can speed up the process by a month or two by adding live bacteria to your tank. I think Sahin used prodibio and the zeovit bacteria cultures to get his tank going. The brightwell stuff would work as well from what i've read.

pstank1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2015, 08:36 AM   #31
Myka
Reefing since '93

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstank1 View Post
It takes a few months for a good bacteria culture to start growing on the media, you can speed up the process by a month or two by adding live bacteria to your tank. I think Sahin used prodibio and the zeovit bacteria cultures to get his tank going. The brightwell stuff would work as well from what i've read.
Yeah I don't really see any reason to seed it. I use Prodibio in my tank already anyway.

Unread 09/16/2015, 10:48 AM   #32
port43
Registered Member

I moved from Virginia to Oklahoma in early 2014. I had to sell my reef tank rather than risk killing everything. Neighbor had her own tank maint business and was rather good at reef keeping. So I sold it to her for a good deal.

I never ran a sump on that tank for 12 years. I always ran a canister with half matrix rocks, half eheim substrat pro- NEVER had phosphates or Nitrates. Ever.

The LFS owners around town couldnt believe it. I told them I would put $50 store credit on the table if he could bring any test kit to show my tank has phosphates- he could even come in person.

I won that bet.

It DOES produce quite a bit of bubbles as it does its conversions- just a heads up.

I just started up a 70gal reef with a sump (this time) and am working on implementing more of the matrix rocks around the water coming into the sump. No canister....yet.

port43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2015, 11:23 AM   #33
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
Received 4L of matrix stones today so you better have this bacteria hording magic beans thing right Sahin........
If they work, you are getting me a frag of that Firetruck acro...

If they dont work. At least you have loads of pod mansions in the sump. I'm sure all the pods will appreciate it.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2015, 11:37 AM   #34
pstank1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
If they work, you are getting me a frag of that Firetruck acro...

If they dont work. At least you have loads of pod mansions in the sump. I'm sure all the pods will appreciate it.

I wouldn't worry about it Sahin, Andrew doesn't even update his tank thread anymore. I bet he's sold off all his corals, donated the money to his local orphanage and is living a life of subsistence farming in the outback with the 'roos and Crocodile Dundee.

Unread 09/16/2015, 01:22 PM   #35
biom
Registered Member

I prefer liquid carbon dosing over siporax/matrix media because i believe that in our tanks (except Denadai's tank with plastic rocks) there are plenty of space for bacteria to flourish, but the limiting factor is carbon. I've tried siporax (pond version) and zeroed nitrates for couple of months, and then I noticed something like "competition" for bacteria between live rocks and siporax, it seems that in low carbon environment bacteria prefer siporax over live rocks and heterotroph bacteria were out-competed from cyanobacteria which covered most of live rock surface.

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty. The pig likes it.
biom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2015, 01:31 PM   #36
ifarmer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biom View Post
I prefer liquid carbon dosing over siporax/matrix media because i believe that in our tanks (except Denadai's tank with plastic rocks) there are plenty of space for bacteria to flourish, but the limiting factor is carbon. I've tried siporax (pond version) and zeroed nitrates for couple of months, and then I noticed something like "competition" for bacteria between live rocks and siporax, it seems that in low carbon environment bacteria prefer siporax over live rocks and heterotroph bacteria were out-competed from cyanobacteria which covered most of live rock surface.
liquid carbon dosing, do you mean vinegar, vokka or zeostart3?
thanks

ifarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2015, 01:34 PM   #37
biom
Registered Member

Vodka/vinegar, zeostart, NOPOX , they are all the same

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty. The pig likes it.
biom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2015, 01:43 PM   #38
ifarmer
Registered Member

does anyone know how much of the matrix rocks to use on the 75g tank?
how often to change out the rocks?
we i use the mechanical filter to house the rocks? or does it require the use of the reactor.
i currently dosing a few drops of zeostart on every time (after) I do the water change (twice a week on water change).
thanking in advance.

ifarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2015, 01:59 PM   #39
port43
Registered Member

it says 1L for 100gal i think, in the description, and its designed to be used in a canister type filter- but Im sure you can put it in a high flow area of your sump.

port43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2015, 08:59 PM   #40
nemodan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
Received 4L of matrix stones today so you better have this bacteria hording magic beans thing right Sahin........
Andrew..... The fuge with Macros and Matrix addition recovered my tank from the nutrient crash. I do not have any other method of exporting nutrients.....just biology. And worked .

Cheers
Daniel

nemodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2015, 12:43 AM   #41
biggles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemodan View Post
Andrew..... The fuge with Macros and Matrix addition recovered my tank from the nutrient crash. I do not have any other method of exporting nutrients.....just biology. And worked .

Cheers
Daniel
Thanks Daniel, your SPS display actually helped me make up my mind to give the Matrix a whirl

I just dosed the display with Polyp Lab Colors for the first time so i'm going to wait a week before adding the Matrix to see if the wizard potion does anything cool. I'm going to put all 4L of Matrix in the sump after a quick RO rinse to get the bio stuff happening while i make the pulse flow media reactor........ it will be sprayed black which dampens underwater noise and looks cool.

Unread 09/17/2015, 08:35 AM   #42
Myka
Reefing since '93

For Canadians, I found the cheapest place for me was eBay seller wttomy1 from Austria. €6.90 for 1L Siporax, and about €20.00 for shipping. Works out to about $40 Canadian. I ordered 2L - one to try myself, and one to try on a client's tank.

Unread 09/20/2015, 05:44 PM   #43
MichaelW
Registered Member

So how many are actually using the matrix media. I'm guessing as it's similar to having extra live rock in the sump there wouldn't be such a thing as too much? I may be wrong. Are you basically using it as added surface area for nitryfying bacteria?

MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2015, 05:57 PM   #44
naterealbig
Premium Member

There couldn't be to much. The bacterial colony size will grow and shrink to match the amount of nutrients in the tank. I just ordered a 5 gallon bucket of it. I'm going to run it externally initially, slowly remove my live rock, and then move it all to my sump. I'll never have to cycle a tank again . By the way, I currently have a 65 gallon.

Unread 09/20/2015, 06:14 PM   #45
MichaelW
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naterealbig View Post
There couldn't be to much. The bacterial colony size will grow and shrink to match the amount of nutrients in the tank. I just ordered a 5 gallon bucket of it. I'm going to run it externally initially, slowly remove my live rock, and then move it all to my sump. I'll never have to cycle a tank again . By the way, I currently have a 65 gallon.
That's exactly what I thought about it not being possible to have too much.

MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2015, 08:40 PM   #46
nemodan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
So how many are actually using the matrix media. I'm guessing as it's similar to having extra live rock in the sump there wouldn't be such a thing as too much? I may be wrong. Are you basically using it as added surface area for nitryfying bacteria?
Correct.... I added it in every corner I have a flow of water. Today I took all the bags from my HOB fuge, shake them well in a bucket with my WC water. They were full of feather dusters. And returned to the HOB fuge. That cleaned them a little after 6 months of use.

After adding the bags back I had more space so I added another bag of new matrix. Like adding more rocks but more efficient due the the surface area ratio.

Cheer

nemodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2015, 03:28 AM   #47
M007
Acro Whore

Just packed enough Siporax in my luggage for my 250, heading back to Toronto tomorrow, should be an interesting experiment Some good info http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...744289&page=19

Current Tank Info: 250G SPS Mixed Reef. ATLAS 84x28x24. SuperMarin 250. Cebu Sun 3 x 250WMH Radiums 4 x 80W T5. Profilux 3 w/GHL dosing CA-ALK-MG. Moved by Tunze and Vertex. Reef Octopus 5K return.

Last edited by M007; 09/21/2015 at 03:52 AM.
M007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2015, 04:37 AM   #48
M007
Acro Whore

More http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...744289&page=28

Current Tank Info: 250G SPS Mixed Reef. ATLAS 84x28x24. SuperMarin 250. Cebu Sun 3 x 250WMH Radiums 4 x 80W T5. Profilux 3 w/GHL dosing CA-ALK-MG. Moved by Tunze and Vertex. Reef Octopus 5K return.
M007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2015, 09:41 AM   #49
pstank1
Registered Member

Next time, please book your flight with a layover in St. Louis so you can get some for me too

Unread 09/21/2015, 05:59 PM   #50
rovster
Registered Member

Soaking in RO now....

rovster is offline   Reply With Quote