Unread 10/18/2013, 07:27 AM   #326
watchguy123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acronic View Post
Nice! Goldflakes are really cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowtish View Post
Agreed! Very nice addition. Congratz and good luck!
Thank you guys. Have hesitated for a long time about angels in my reef tank but they add so much color and interest. Plus their habits are somewhat different from tangs. The angels seem to wander in and around caves and through out the tank while the tangs tend to stay on the the "lit" side of the tank much more. Time will tell how reef compatible they turn out to be. In the meantime, I am loving them.

watchguy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2013, 06:41 AM   #327
dowtish
Registered Member

I just added a potters angel to my reef. It likes to pick at things. I knew that going in. I had it in my frag/holding tank for over 8 months. It only picked at acans but nothing else. But for the same reasons as you I wanted to see its behavior in a real reef and it definitely does its own thing and 98% of the time its foraging on just rock. I love it and think its worth the risk.

Build Thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2339384
dowtish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2013, 08:50 AM   #328
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowtish View Post
I just added a potters angel to my reef. It likes to pick at things. I knew that going in. I had it in my frag/holding tank for over 8 months. It only picked at acans but nothing else. But for the same reasons as you I wanted to see its behavior in a real reef and it definitely does its own thing and 98% of the time its foraging on just rock. I love it and think its worth the risk.
I think that was a bad move I made the same mistake. In time the acquire taste for Sps.
Keep a close eye on her in large tanks they are ok but in small tanks they pick.

LIVE SAND ITS THE CURE........®

Current Tank Info: 120 CUBE Live sand Mitras lx6100hv MRC MR 2 single becket MP40 power head Aquamedic dosing pump using B-ionic
trueblackpercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2013, 09:31 AM   #329
reefmutt
Registered Member

Tricky fish but one of my favorites.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2013, 08:22 AM   #330
MrineLfRlz
Registered Member

Absolute fantastic tank!
But please can i see whats under the hood the goods keeping this beauty running is something i would like to see" it all" please

Current Tank Info: BubbleMagus(calc.,alk/Clearwater CW-300 Scrubber//56wAQUA UV/Reef Oct.SRO6000SSS Protein sk./1/10HP Chiller/GENESIS AWC
MrineLfRlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2013, 03:37 PM   #331
MBMAX
Registered Member

just beautifull, love the colors and ......everything else.

MBMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2014, 12:00 AM   #332
watchguy123
Registered Member

I have not taken any pictures in a while, just got so busy. Trying to get my photo eye back and starting with some LPS

Unread 01/27/2014, 02:15 PM   #333
watchguy123
Registered Member

A couple more LPS before I switch to photos of SPS

Unread 01/27/2014, 02:56 PM   #334
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Nice LPS corals. Good to see they are nice sizes. Look forward to your SPS shots. Always enjoyed your photos so flood the thread with photo's if you like...I will enjoy them.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2014, 10:29 PM   #335
watchguy123
Registered Member

Gonna keep sharing some chalices and other stuff, until I get the photo skill back again. These are some of the easiest shots for me to take. I will get myself recalibrated for the sps shots soon enough.

Unread 01/28/2014, 07:22 AM   #336
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Nice! Even though I prefer SPS (Acropora mainly), that Leptoseris looks VERY cool!

Unread 01/29/2014, 06:14 PM   #337
watchguy123
Registered Member

A couple of SPS, through the front of my bow front tank. Hard to achieve sharp focus through the curved bow front glass. I prefer top downs so I can get sharper focus but did not feel like getting the ladder out to take pictures today. (Yes, I have to stand on top of a ladder to get the top down photos)

The red dragon came out a little purpler (is that a word) than it really is but I tried to get it as realistic as possible

Unread 01/29/2014, 06:31 PM   #338
cFloor
Registered Member

that red dragon is awesome!!

cFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2014, 06:38 PM   #339
tdb320reef
Registered Member

Looking good. Do you have the RD in higher flow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchguy123 View Post
A couple of SPS, through the front of my bow front tank. Hard to achieve sharp focus through the curved bow front glass. I prefer top downs so I can get sharper focus but did not feel like getting the ladder out to take pictures today. (Yes, I have to stand on top of a ladder to get the top down photos)

The red dragon came out a little purpler (is that a word) than it really is but I tried to get it as realistic as possible

tdb320reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2014, 06:39 PM   #340
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Very nice shots regardless. I used to have a bow front tank and know just how hard photography is with those tanks. Appreciate the posting of the photos.

Unread 01/29/2014, 06:48 PM   #341
watchguy123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
Very nice shots regardless. I used to have a bow front tank and know just how hard photography is with those tanks. Appreciate the posting of the photos.
Isn't it the middle of the night in the UK now. A couple more pictures for the guy who stays up way too late wherever you may be.

Unread 01/29/2014, 07:02 PM   #342
watchguy123
Registered Member

here is a picture of the three of the four SPS colonies from above

Unread 01/29/2014, 07:49 PM   #343
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

It is almost 2am here in the UK.

Beautiful! I admire the large colonies you are keeping. A lot of people just frag frag frag away. Even your Chalices are very large. Its quite nice seeing a grown up tank.

Unread 01/29/2014, 07:51 PM   #344
watchguy123
Registered Member

I had a mini-crash that I started appreciating in October of last year. Parameters were as ideal as I could test and I tested repeatedly and had LFS retest with similar results.

I first noticed a lack of polyp extension on my meteor cyphastrea. I was baffled and traveling but a slow downward trend really set in. I lost about four or five 2 year old colonies. Polyps retracted, then STN primarily at base but sometimes from tips. I also had receding tips on multiple colonies and loss of color--thats why no pictures for such a long time. Way too depressing.

I decided to do relatively large water changes but slowly. I have a 180 gallon tank with sump and refugium and lots of rock. So I did a series of twenty gallon water changes every day for 5 days consecutively. Waited a week and repeated and then repeated again. So over about a 5 or 6 weeks, I changed out about 300 gallons of water. (For those really clever mathematicians, it is not really 300 gallons because it was being diluted, etc. etc--but I manually lugged those 5 gallons containers in and out till I accomplished the task so in my mind, it really is 300 gallons). Wish I had a more elaborate system designed for water changes but it is just me and a bunch of jugs.

Anyway, I am finally seeing a turn around in both coloration and polyp extension. It seems like months for the positive change to become noticeable but probably more like just a couple months or so. Long way to go, not all colonies have recovered although most are showing improvements. Polyp extension on most is returning and color is starting to improve.

All of us can read our coral to some extent and I was seeing a slow decrease in vitality that I did not really believe until it became really really obvious. And yes, I was concerned about a giant tank crash.

I am hopeful that the improvement that I am seeing is a long term positive turn around. I don't know if I had not completed large enough water changes in the past and my water was deficient or polluted in some way that I could not measure.

So I am starting to take pictures once again. I am doing some redecorating of colonies. Since I lost a few colonies, I plan on moving some mature colonies to new locales--yes I understand that is a risky venture as well but its hard not to want to improve the esthetics when one has both the opportunity (real estate) and time simultaneously.

Unread 01/29/2014, 11:22 PM   #345
watchguy123
Registered Member

From this afternoon, I'm a photo taking junkie. I can't help it

Unread 01/30/2014, 07:26 AM   #346
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

At least things are on the mend. One of the best things for our systems when things are going wrong is water changes (thoroughly mixed, temp etc etc). Glad it's working out for you.

Go ahead and spam this thread with photos. I wont be complaining.

Unread 01/30/2014, 10:50 PM   #347
watchguy123
Registered Member

I got the ladder out today, removed the canopy, climbed up the ladder, burned the top of my head under some very hot metal halide and t5 lights, and took a bunch of top down photos. I did manage to get some pretty pictures and I like to share:

Unread 01/30/2014, 11:47 PM   #348
Oldude
Premium Member

Great stuff!!! Thanks for sharing your passion.

~ April 2010 TOTM ~
Oldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2014, 06:01 AM   #349
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Those arent pretty good shots...

They are awesome shots!

Love the shot of the Sarmentosa particularly.

PS Just dont burn your hair/head next time, but keep the photos coming.

Unread 01/31/2014, 07:24 AM   #350
reefmutt
Registered Member

Nice!
I always enjoy your shots, watchguy!
Right up there any of the great shooting in this forum!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote