Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/06/2017, 10:09 PM   #1
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Success with a Group of Damsels

Thinking about trying to keep a group of yellow-tail damsels in my 450. Maybe 10-15. Anyone done something like this with any success?

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 01:12 AM   #2
zooman72
Registered Member

I had an acquaintance with 6-7 y.t. damsels in a 125g several years ago w/out issue, and our local public aquarium has run an 800g reef with a dozen of the same species for over 3 years. I think you would be OK with 10 or so in an aquarium that size.

Current Tank Info: Marine: Pair of 40B's, 45W, 50g cube, ADA 45F at home...IM Nuvo 20 and 10 at office!
zooman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 07:27 PM   #3
saf1
Registered Member

I can't say for sure but my understanding is that the Chrysiptera family is the least aggressive of the bunch. Having said that all I can say is that I've kept three Azures for a while with pretty good success in my small 40 breeder. Sadly one day a pair connected and that was the end of the trio with the pair killing the 3rd. I've also had a pair of Talbots in my 29 bio-cube. I think a member here, sk8r, has a 105 gallon with several different damsels that live together, and have, for a very long time.

I plan on adding some more once I get the 240 settled. Damsels add color and speed and in my opinion pretty under rated fish. I'll be adding Talbots, Starcki, Rolland's, and Tracey's or at least that is the plan. At least two of each plus moving the Azures I have. Since Azures are similar to Starcki, although smaller, I may hold off on the Starcki's.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 08:34 PM   #4
cubman20
Registered Member

same with me in a 125 i had 3 azures two paired and killed the third

cubman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 11:36 PM   #5
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I've grown weary of trying to get a good sized group of anthias - never seem to get beyond 5. Figured I'd try with a less expensive alternative. Got a 450 so lots of space to get away.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 12/07/2017, 11:45 PM   #6
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
I've grown weary of trying to get a good sized group of anthias - never seem to get beyond 5. Figured I'd try with a less expensive alternative. Got a 450 so lots of space to get away.
Lol - I have no idea why this made me giggle but I sort of feel your pain. Damsels are really pretty fish. They add a lot of movement, fast, and color. There is risk but that is probably the case with a lot of fish in various situations. That large of a tank I'm sure you will be fine. Your smart enough to do a bit of homework to find the right family anyway

Like I said Sk8r has a bunch in a 105 gallon with a variety to boot. I think family type, lots of rock and hiding spots, was one keys to her success.

Unread 12/08/2017, 07:58 AM   #7
OrionN
Moved on

I keep three Yellow tail Blue damsels in a 65 gal tank with no problem.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 11:39 PM   #8
pfan151
Registered Member

I don’t have a group that big but I have three captive bred azure damsels in my 90. No issues at all. From what I have read the azure are supposed to be a little less aggressive than the yellow tails but I don’t know if there is any truth to that. Azure look better IMO as well. Mine seem to stay loosely congregated in the tank. I wish I would have went with a few more. I actually had trouble getting the wild caught ones to live for some reason so I gave up and got the CB ones. Only $10 a piece from live aquaria.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 09:36 PM   #9
Andrew D
Registered Member

I have a group of 8 yellow tail damsels in my 350G, had them probably for 3 years and most if not all are still there. I have a lot of large and/or fast fish so the damsels aren't very aggressive except towards me when I prune corals that are close to where they hang out. They are very pretty and also I understand good at keeping managing flatworms. I would confidently recommend them to others.

Current Tank Info: 350G DT, 700G system including in-line mantis, anemone and frag tanks
Andrew D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 07:24 AM   #10
Moort82
Registered Member

If it was alleni damsels you would be fine as they are happy in pretty much any sized group. My experience with yellow tail and other chrysiptera damsels is that they prefer to pair rather than group and only with space do they coxist without much trouble. You seem to have plenty of room so I think you'd be fine. I'd personally look for small ones that will change sex to suit the situation. If you get larger ones you might end up with too many males which could cause headaches, whereas letting the dominant females of each little group switch will make it smoother.

Moort82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 10:09 AM   #11
brad
Registered Member

Moderate tempered damsels were a terror in my 120. Never had an issue in my 270, so you will be fine as far as them bothering other fish in that sized tank. I have never been able to keep more than 6 damsels over a year. They pair off and defend territories, and someone always loses. They may not be that long lived in nature either.

brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 01:28 PM   #12
GOSKN5
Registered Member

I habe three sapphire damsels (springeri) in my 120.. really fun fish... feisty but not aggressive.. fight with each other some..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

GOSKN5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 01:31 PM   #13
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOSKN5 View Post
I habe three sapphire damsels (springeri) in my 120.. really fun fish... feisty but not aggressive.. fight with each other some..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Nice photo there Goskn5.

Unread 12/10/2017, 10:06 PM   #14
Reefpuck
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
I keep three Yellow tail Blue damsels in a 65 gal tank with no problem.
Do you have any other fish in the tank with them?

Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef w/ 55g sump/fuge.
Reefpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 10:16 PM   #15
OrionN
Moved on

A Regal Angel, Yellow Tang, two Onyx Percula clowns with them

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 12/11/2017, 08:22 AM   #16
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Placed an order with LA last week for 15 YT damsels ..... and it got cancelled because apparently it's an all or non deal - if they don't have 15, they don't ship any (which I guess makes sense). Will try again this week. Thanks to all that replied.

Unread 12/11/2017, 09:15 AM   #17
Moort82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Placed an order with LA last week for 15 YT damsels ..... and it got cancelled because apparently it's an all or non deal - if they don't have 15, they don't ship any (which I guess makes sense). Will try again this week. Thanks to all that replied.
Personally through research and keeping both yt and azure/yellow belly, I have seen better longterm acceptance with the azure. Yt can grow larger and be more ornery with each other. So for me a group of azure would be better if you are looking for that colouration.

Moort82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 12:12 PM   #18
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moort82 View Post
Personally through research and keeping both yt and azure/yellow belly, I have seen better longterm acceptance with the azure. Yt can grow larger and be more ornery with each other. So for me a group of azure would be better if you are looking for that colouration.
Yea, grab the azure. Captive bred ones for $10 are bulletproof. And you also know you are getting all young ones as well.

Kind of surprising that quality Marine couldn’t fill an order for 15 damsels though. I always kind of assumed they would have hundreds in stock.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 12:38 PM   #19
McPuff
Registered Member

The Talbott's are really nice too. I only have one but it's a cute little fish and doesn't have the slightest bit of aggression toward other fish (which are much larger than it, granted). But I'm sure that a small Group, maybe in addition to the yellow tails, would be quite nice.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 04:13 PM   #20
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Kind of surprising that quality Marine couldn’t fill an order for 15 damsels though. I always kind of assumed they would have hundreds in stock.
Yes, agreed. Was actually the last thing on the order that I had expected to be OOS. Go figure .....

Unread 12/11/2017, 04:14 PM   #21
pinnatus
RIP Ludinano

I got 8 blue devils in my 240. Slowly over a year or two whittled down to 1, which I kept for 10 years or so.

Current Tank Info: 240 gal Fish-Only, 13-gal w/ clowns
pinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 04:15 PM   #22
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moort82 View Post
I've actually never kept azures - though LA notes them as larger than the YT (though not by much ). Maybe I will try them instead.

Unread 12/11/2017, 05:35 PM   #23
OrionN
Moved on

Both are very nice and brilliant in color

Unread 12/11/2017, 05:36 PM   #24
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnatus View Post
I got 8 blue devils in my 240. Slowly over a year or two whittled down to 1, which I kept for 10 years or so.
What do you expect. You got 8 devils. They were not called devils for been nice fish.

Unread 12/11/2017, 05:38 PM   #25
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Yea, grab the azure. Captive bred ones for $10 are bulletproof. And you also know you are getting all young ones as well.

I don’t think many people order damsels from LA. Only if they need a few dollars to reach certain total.