Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/18/2018, 09:53 AM   #1
Emma1234
Registered Member

Going dark to cure algae

Hi everyone,

I have a 55 gallon tank with no detectable phosphates (hanna checker) or nitrates (Salifert and Red Sea). I have only two little fish (clown and royal gamma), which I feed a very small amount of flake food once a day. I have about 40lbs of live rock. The tank is about 4 years old. I have a protein skimmer (which probably needs to be replaced. I have to soak it in vinegar every couple weeks or else it will start to randomly overflow or underflow). I do a four gallon water change (RO/DI water with Instant Ocean Reef salt) every week. I have a lobo (growing doing well), mushrooms (these are doing very well) some zoas, softies and LPS. No SPS corals. I use filter socks, which I change every couple of days. I have a good lighting system. MAXSPECT Razor. Corals really started to grow more when I changed over to this light. It turns on about 1:00pm, ramps up gradually to about 70-75% intesity at about 7pm. Stays at that intensity for a couple hours. Then ramps down and shuts off at midnight.

My problem is algae. It really grows between the weekly water changes. I "harvest" it every week. But it is very difficult to remove some types. I have at least two different types. The ones I notice are green. One type I can remove. It is a soft velvety type. The other type (on a different rock) is impossible to remove by hand. It is more of a short stub green algae that is not soft but something like a crew cut that seems to be growing out, and embedded into, the rock.

I use GFO and Phosguard.

I saw this video on BRS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zft6lJraRg

They recommend going dark for a few days. My questions are:

What do you think/recommend that I try?

If I try going dark would going dark hurt the corals?

How long should I go dark?

Thanks

Emma1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2018, 10:33 AM   #2
Daddi0
Registered Member

Perhaps get a sea hare or snails
Cheers! Mark

Unread 08/18/2018, 10:59 AM   #3
Joe0813
Registered Member

I've gone up to 5 days with no lights . All my coral was perfectly fine.

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2018, 01:18 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Going dark for a short time is really just a waste of time for an algae problem.. Its just going to be temporary at best..

Simple fix is to use Fluconazole... It works wonders.. OR as stated increase your natural algae predators.. urchins/sea hares/turbo snails,etc..

I recommend the Fluconazole though.. It will easily take care of your hair/turf algae..

And why gfo and phosguard?
IMO undetectable nitrates and phosphates isn't a good thing.. Both are beneficial nutrients.. Too little is just as bad as too much..

Unread 08/18/2018, 03:12 PM   #5
hkgar
Registered Member

Quit the filter socks and the GFO. Tuxedo Urchins get after algae. I might have missed it? What fish do you have?

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2018, 03:44 PM   #6
Joe0813
Registered Member

I might have to try the Fluconazole or an urchin

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2018, 03:50 PM   #7
Emma1234
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Quit the filter socks and the GFO. Tuxedo Urchins get after algae. I might have missed it? What fish do you have?
Two little guys/gals. Clown fish and a Royal Gamma

Unread 08/18/2018, 05:32 PM   #8
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Going dark for a short time is really just a waste of time for an algae problem.. Its just going to be temporary at best..

as stated increase your natural algae predators.. urchins/sea hares/turbo snails,etc..

IMO undetectable nitrates and phosphates isn't a good thing.. Both are beneficial nutrients.. Too little is just as bad as too much..
This is great advice.

Did the problem start when you added your new light?

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2018, 07:30 PM   #9
Emma1234
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapin View Post
This is great advice.

Did the problem start when you added your new light?
The problem got worse after I added new lights. But it was there before.

Unread 08/18/2018, 09:17 PM   #10
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Your photoperiod is too long, 8-9 hours total is enough.
Your intensity seems a bit high to me.
Do the blackout, then crank those lights down man.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2018, 08:21 AM   #11
Emma1234
Registered Member

Quote:

Simple fix is to use Fluconazole... It works wonders.. OR as stated increase your natural algae predators.. urchins/sea hares/turbo snails,etc..

I recommend the Fluconazole though.. It will easily take care of your hair/turf algae..

I use the phosguard and gfo because I've heard/read that the tests might not detect phosphates and nitrates. Something about the algae consumes the phosphates so fast that it doesn't show up in the test. So, the thought is that putting in the GFO and phosguard will consume the phosphates/nitrates before the algae. But I am not seeing a decline in algae.

Unread 08/19/2018, 09:49 AM   #12
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma1234 View Post
I use the phosguard and gfo because I've heard/read that the tests might not detect phosphates and nitrates. Something about the algae consumes the phosphates so fast that it doesn't show up in the test. So, the thought is that putting in the GFO and phosguard will consume the phosphates/nitrates before the algae. But I am not seeing a decline in algae.
Gfo and phosguard do the same thing...They reduce phosphate levels..They do not work against nitrates at all..
As they both serve the same purpose I just don't understand why you would run both..

Unread 08/19/2018, 10:08 AM   #13
saveafish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddi0 View Post
Cheers! Mark
^^^^ this

When your algae eaters poop you can pull it by export.

Current Tank Info: 400g display build, 300g sump, 75g ATO, 75g refug and a few more. Close to a 1000g. 200g mixing station.
saveafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2018, 10:50 AM   #14
Emma1234
Registered Member

Quote:
Gfo and phosguard do the same thing...They reduce phosphate levels..They do not work against nitrates at all..
As they both serve the same purpose I just don't understand why you would run both..
Oh, I see what you were asking now. The reason I used both is that I've been using the GFO for years and still had the algae problem. My local fish store recommended I try the Phosguard at double the recommended dosage. But that hasn't worked either.

Unread 08/19/2018, 10:56 AM   #15
Emma1234
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveafish View Post
^^^^ this

When your algae eaters poop you can pull it by export.
I've had a blue tuxedo urchine. He was beautiful but didn't clear up the algea. I have turbo snails. I bought about half a doze a while back. No luck getting rid of the algae with them either. I also tried nudibranches. I bought them the same time I bought the mexican turbo snails. You guessed it. Still have the algae. I've stayed away from the sea hares because I hear they are toxic. I've tried dosing with Hydrogen Peroxide. It worked for a while but the algae came back after a month. And I lost my blue tuxedo urchin and a yellow leather toadstool after I dosed.

Unread 08/19/2018, 10:58 AM   #16
Emma1234
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddi0 View Post
Cheers! Mark
I've had a blue tuxedo urchine. He was beautiful but didn't clear up the algea. I have turbo snails. I bought about half a doze a while back. No luck getting rid of the algae with them either. I also tried nudibranches. I bought them the same time I bought the mexican turbo snails. You guessed it. Still have the algae. I've stayed away from the sea hares because I hear they are toxic. I've tried dosing with Hydrogen Peroxide. It worked for a while but the algae came back after a month. And I lost my blue tuxedo urchin and a yellow leather toadstool after I dosed.

Unread 08/19/2018, 11:10 AM   #17
Daddi0
Registered Member

I have had a couple Hares die with no issues.

Unread 08/19/2018, 11:20 AM   #18
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma1234 View Post
Oh, I see what you were asking now. The reason I used both is that I've been using the GFO for years and still had the algae problem. My local fish store recommended I try the Phosguard at double the recommended dosage. But that hasn't worked either.
Because you don't have a phosphate problem

Unread 08/25/2018, 10:06 AM   #19
Emma1234
Registered Member

For anyone suffering from algae problems in their tank here is some information.

1) I've heard that "going dark" can cure the algae outbreak. I shut off the lights on Sunday and covered the tank with towels to keep light from getting in. I turned the lights back on on Friday. The algae is still there. I don't see much of a difference.

2) Next I'm going to try the Fluconazole as recommended by mcgvyr above (thanks!). You can find out more abouot Fuconazole here http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ht=fluconazole

3. This is after trying hydrogen peroxide and various algae eaters (see above).

I'll update after I see how things go with the fluconazole. Figures are crossed.

Unread 08/26/2018, 12:33 PM   #20
FamilyTank
Registered Member

Hydrogen peroxide has worked for me. I did however pull the rock for about 15 mins. Pulled it and let it sit for 5min then spray and let it sit like 10. Rinsed it in my dirty tank water after a change.

FamilyTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2018, 01:05 PM   #21
Emma1234
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTank View Post
Hydrogen peroxide has worked for me. I did however pull the rock for about 15 mins. Pulled it and let it sit for 5min then spray and let it sit like 10. Rinsed it in my dirty tank water after a change.
I took the rocks out and dosed in a bucket with a mix of hydrogen peroxide and RO/DI water. I killed the algae temporarily but lost a yellow toadstool and a blue tuxedo urchin died. Did you lose any fish/corals?

Unread 08/26/2018, 06:51 PM   #22
FamilyTank
Registered Member

I didnt loose a thing. Nothing but turf algae on the rocks I pulled. I rinsed heavily after. It killed the algae but good husbandry keeps it away.

Unread 08/26/2018, 07:44 PM   #23
Emma1234
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTank View Post
Interesting. You said you pulled the rock from the display tank and let it sit for 15 minutes. Five of those minutes it just sat out in the open air. And then you sprayed it. Do you spray it with pure hydorgen peroxide? Or was it a mix ofwater and Hydrogen Peroxide? Was there any corals on the rock? I'm wondering if that would be dangerous to the corals on the rock to have them out of the water that long.

Thanks!

Unread 08/27/2018, 01:16 PM   #24
FamilyTank
Registered Member

I didnt loose a thing. Nothing but turf algae on the rocks I pulled. No corals.
I sprayed it straight outta the bottle.

Unread 08/29/2018, 10:49 PM   #25
MTF7
Registered Member

hello! I have a nano tank rn 13g and like you I battled algae forever, finally I figured out how to beat it so let me reccomend what I did.

1. Up your flow
2. I would increase your 4g WC to at least 10g once the algae is gone you can work back down to 4.( in my 13g I do 5g ever 8-10 days)
3. Decrease lighting photo period (possibly intensity too)
4. Add seachem matrix/ marine pure in a high flow area
5. Vacuum your sand in very small areas to begin with
6. Snails snails snails a few hermits more snails, turbo snails, and a emerald crab or 2 ( I had a really good one that just passed ��, he eliminated my bubble, and the crew cut algae)
5. With the Phosguard the most important thing to remember is that you must change it out!!! I too didn’t change mine all that often but once I was determined to beat the algae I changed it every 4days then gradually every WC and now every 2 weeks.

Good luck!

MTF7 is offline   Reply With Quote