Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/19/2012, 08:55 AM   #126
Daka
Registered Member

56 leds

Schnitz

Late nite.....Forgot to add
could you also do a 56 led lights
thanks

Daka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2012, 01:18 PM   #127
Daka
Registered Member

schnitz you around??

Unread 05/20/2012, 02:51 PM   #128
Dave Thebrewguy
Registered Member

Well, I'm not Schnitz. For that matter, I don't have any practical experience with LEDs (I'm still in the design phase for my first LED system) so I wouldn't put too much faith in my opinion if I were you. OTOH, I have done a bit of research on the subject and I wouldn't expect the combination shown a few posts back to be all that blue. Sure, 39 RB sounds like a lot of blue, but the whites are all 6500k and 4500k so they are likely to overwhelm the blues with a somewhat warm tone.
I'm leaning toward a 56 LED fixture myself, at this point I'm thinking of using the following.
24 RB
8 Violet
4 Blue
12 10,000K
6 6500K

This gives me a 2:1 ratio of RB/B/Vi to White, but I am looking at cooler whites. If I were to use warmer whites, I'd be inclined to increase the ratio to 3:1. I may be way off here, and any feedback would be appreciated, but I doubt either "recipe" would look terribly blue.

Dave Thebrewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2012, 04:24 PM   #129
Daka
Registered Member

Thanks Dave for your input. I am a total noob when it comes to reef tanks.
I just got home from picking up an used tank system. Pretty good deal I think. 90 gal oceanic reef ready tank, 30 gl oceanic sump 100 lbs of LR fuji, but dead at this time, enough sand for 2-3 inches. An old ho light. ext. pump Blue something...lol, 500 ti heat with lab grade controler, full test set,5 gal pail of bio balls, which I am not using, coral feeder,octpuss -200 skimmer and a cherry stand and hood plus all the plumbing. cost $300.00.
But now I have a new twist in the DIY leds, there is a glass support across the center of the tank... about 8-12minches. How does this affect the led lighting. Any help would be great
Daka

Unread 12/08/2012, 11:32 AM   #130
SchnitzelReef
Registered Member

well i thought id resurrect this thread and give an honest update.

This setup did NOT work out like i had planned. i ended up adding the "full spectrum" leds and hated them. Obviously i could not compete with the 1000s of dollars that go into R&D on a led fixture. I have turned my tank into a SPS dom tank, and have gotten very little growth over the past 6 months. I ended up ditching the full spectrum leds, and just kept the blues and whites. I have now added 4-80w t5s and LOVE the setup. i tried to copy ATIs new led powermodule and kept 3 c channels close together in the middle and 2 t5s in the front and 2 t5s in the back. Ive not only seen better colors, but alot better growth. i think if u are running a softy or lps tank, this setup would still be GREAT. however SPS are a whole nother story. i think where i went wrong was LED placement. I have now noticed that all the new led fixtures are a combination of colors tightly packed together. i did have great spread with this setup, but by doing so i think i lost par. i never lost a coral, or couldnt keep a coral. I had RBTAs and still have clams on my sandbed. i think if i had used about 50-80 more leds and placed them closer together, i would have had a succesful led fixture.... o well Live and learn

SchnitzelReef is offline   Reply With Quote