Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/28/2010, 09:10 PM   #1
ddwbeagles
Registered Member

Carbon & GFO combined or alternative

Quick question for you guys. I know many of you run carbon on your reef tanks. I just bought the duel media reactor from BRS with the intent of running carbon in one canister and GFO in the other. Hindsight being 20/20, I realized that for my small system (about 85 gallons total), I'm only going to need to run about 1.5 cups of carbon in the reactor. That leaves a ton of empty space.
So, I'm wondering (a) would there be any reason why I couldn't run carbon and GFO in the same canister and only use one of them -or- (b) would you recommend something else to be added to the carbon canister since there is plenty of space available.....that would be beneficial to my tank?

Final question. The useful lifespan of carbon is fairly short, is there an longer lasting alternative out there? I am running a skimmer so organic removal really isn't the primary function, but metals, "coral chemical warfare" excretions, etc.. are.

Thanks in advance for the advice & responses.

ddwbeagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2010, 05:56 AM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

I use seperate reactors on both my tanks, because it is much easier to regulate flow and because the two media need to be changed at different times.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2010, 08:39 AM   #3
bertoni
RC Mod

I combined GFO and carbon in the same reactor for years. It worked well for me.

Unread 03/29/2010, 11:43 AM   #4
CBehr
Registered Member

I have a dual stage reactor from BRS, works great as you can change media at different times. Before that I used both in the same reactor for years.

Tags
carbon alternative