Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/24/2010, 12:15 AM   #1
chbix
Registered Member

Cleaning reflectors and DIY canopy build

Hey Guys.

I got a 4x96 watt PC kit and am going to use it in a canopy im going to build for my 55g tank im putting together.

The retro kit was used and the reflectors are in pretty bad condition with lots of salt creep.

So I soaked it in the tub with CLR and it didnt do much. So I tried vinegar, it softened it up a little but not much.

So my last attempt at salvaging these are to go at them with a dremel tool. My first thought was to use the plastic wire brush to attempt to loosen the big chucnks and then after i have it clean go back over them with the buffing wheel to bring it back to a shine.

Any issues with the plastic wire brush ruining the finish?
Any other ideas to deal with the salt creep?

If that doesnt work i will probably have to buy new ones.

Any ideas where to get new ones? I have found some but at $30 a piece and I need 2, they will be more expensive than what I paid for the retro kit anyway.

Also is there any reason why mirrors are not used? I am sure there is some scientific reason but was looking at buying polished aluminum and making them myself and was thinking I have seen alot of posts on DIY reflectors on using white paint vs aluminum vs silver paint etc but never on mirrors.

thanks

chbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2010, 12:18 AM   #2
chbix
Registered Member

Nevermind on the mirror question I found an anwser

chbix is offline   Reply With Quote