Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/07/2013, 11:21 AM   #26
Scythanith
Premium Member

Thanks all! I have made up my rudimentary plumbing supply list and will try to track some of it down today.

Scythanith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2013, 02:38 AM   #27
Scythanith
Premium Member

I just picked up these beauties! Avast Marine Works MR5 & MR10 media reactors, a Mutiny II ozone reactor, and the Kraken!

MR5

MR10

Mutiny II

The Kraken

The MR5 is for GFO, the Mutiny II will drain it's effluent into the MR10 which will be packed with GAC. The Kraken is a biopellet reactor I plan on running. I still need to chose which biopellets to run, as well as which ozone generator/air dryer/pump to use. Any suggestions?

I'm pretty stoked though!

Unread 07/17/2013, 06:49 PM   #28
Scythanith
Premium Member

So here's a question for all you pro's out there. Are these safe to use as the pulleys above my tank that will suspend the lights? They are rated for 110lbs each (according to the package), so weight isn't an issue. My biggest concern is the metal they are made from. It doesn't say anything specific on the packaging. I am worried about flaking metal into the tank after repetitive use. Am I being to concerned? If you think they are an unwise choice, could you suggest a safe pulley alternative?

Cheers,
Scott

Unread 07/17/2013, 10:28 PM   #29
Scythanith
Premium Member

Tile is up, grouting tomorrow.

Bad view of the lighting rig

Fireplace tile matching the fish tank

Unread 07/17/2013, 10:29 PM   #30
Scythanith
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythanith View Post
So here's a question for all you pro's out there. Are these safe to use as the pulleys above my tank that will suspend the lights? They are rated for 110lbs each (according to the package), so weight isn't an issue. My biggest concern is the metal they are made from. It doesn't say anything specific on the packaging. I am worried about flaking metal into the tank after repetitive use. Am I being to concerned? If you think they are an unwise choice, could you suggest a safe pulley alternative?

Cheers,
Scott
I was recommended some blocks for small boating. Constructed of Delrin and stainless steel.

Unread 07/17/2013, 11:21 PM   #31
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

I like the tile work on the stand and how you also matched it with the fireplace too.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2013, 02:37 PM   #32
Rogerh
Registered Member

Nice, following this

Current Tank Info: Wohaa 455L
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2013, 07:22 PM   #33
Scythanith
Premium Member

Here is the new gear.

Unread 07/18/2013, 08:50 PM   #34
Genesis Corals
Registered Member

I love the tile going throughout the room.

Genesis 1:21 So God created the great creatures of the ocean. He created every living and moving thing that fills the waters. He created all kinds of them...And God saw that it was good.
Genesis Corals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2013, 01:56 PM   #35
Scythanith
Premium Member

Grouting is done, lights are rudimentarily up. I plan on cleaning up the wiring and probably raising the lights up to the main support beam to give me a little more head room when I raise the lights to the roof for maintenance. All I have to do is tighten up the aircraft cable between the lights and the beam.

Unread 07/25/2013, 07:34 PM   #36
Scythanith
Premium Member

So I am having a tough time finding a DC12000 (as everyone else is). The question is do I wait for it to be released or find a suitable replacement? Anyone have opinions on what to replace it with? It has to be internal and controllable.

Also, anyone want to weight in on the Alpha cone vs Royal Exclusiv Double Cone? I am leaning to the RE but have had PLENTY of people tell me to go to the Alpha.

Thanks!
Scott

Unread 07/25/2013, 09:03 PM   #37
Epicreefer
Registered Member

I heard the dc pumps were held up in customs a month or two ago, just saw them for sale on one website emailer so maybe they made it trough. Don't know for sure though. Suposedly they fixed the issues with the last run or two with cracking plastic fittings. All of this is hearsay so trust only what you see.

I would replace it with a reeflow blowhole pump. Not the same but not too different either and an American made product.

Current Tank Info: 40g breeder sps
Epicreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2013, 02:19 AM   #38
Scythanith
Premium Member

The reeflow doesn't really look like it will suit my needs. I like it in theory though! I'd have to mount the pumps against the wall and it would take up valuable wall space. I like the 0-10V controllability of the DC12000. It will play nice with the Apex when I get it set up.

Thank you for the suggestion though!

Unread 07/26/2013, 06:52 AM   #39
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

There are so many version of those DC pumps out that anyone will work for you. RLSS, Smartwave, DC Diablos all are from the same manufacturer with just different stamps of approval.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2013, 01:13 AM   #40
Scythanith
Premium Member

RLSS is so damn close now! They released the DC4000 $ 6000's, but there was an issue with the 12000's. I waited this long, may as well wait a little longer.

Unread 07/27/2013, 02:01 AM   #41
qwuintus
Registered Member

Pimp build. Nice color palette.

Can we see the rest of the space?

qwuintus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2013, 06:22 AM   #42
Noamurmac
Registered Member

you created a great space with this tank! You have really put a ton of thought into this build love the tile as well as the lights. Is it just going to be gravity that will take the water from the first and second tank to the third or will you have to use more than one return pump?

Noamurmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2013, 08:55 PM   #43
Scythanith
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwuintus View Post
Pimp build. Nice color palette.

Can we see the rest of the space?
Sure, I am stuck at work and don't have updated shots but here is what I have.

The tank is behind me on my right.

The cabinetry is going in the start of next week, and carpet shortly after. We should be over 90% done in a week! When I get home in a week I will shoot some new pictures for everyone.

Cheers,
Scott

Last edited by Scythanith; 07/27/2013 at 09:22 PM.
Unread 07/27/2013, 09:21 PM   #44
Scythanith
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noamurmac View Post
you created a great space with this tank! You have really put a ton of thought into this build love the tile as well as the lights. Is it just going to be gravity that will take the water from the first and second tank to the third or will you have to use more than one return pump?
Correct. There is an overflow section in first (top) sump that will only overflow what the return pump in the second (bottom) sump puts back into the top sump. Kind of like an open "closed" system. If for some reason the return pump in the bottom sump quits (failure, plugged, etc.) the lower sump will not overflow. It will simply have no flow going through it. But just in case an ATO gets stuck on or something equally as bad, there is an emergency overflow in the bottom sump that will have an alarm on it that will shut off the ATO and notify me.

My friend built the 1st version of the system and designed mine with the changes he'd like to make. He's a smart guy so I trust him

Unread 08/01/2013, 09:40 AM   #45
Scythanith
Premium Member

Just bought this beauty, a BK Double Cone 250 with RD speedy 3. Should be here next week!

I am really having a dilemma right now on choosing a return pump and manifold pump. I was waiting for the Waveline DC12000 but I am getting a little scared of the rumours of spotty customer service and reports of the new DC6000 having flow issues. I really like the Abyzz pumps but they are a lot of cash. I need reliability, over anything else, it needs to be reliable. I am going for long stretches and I don't expect my wife to change pumps out for me.

Can anyone rationalize one pump over another? Waveline, RD3's, Abyzz A400...

Thanks!

Unread 08/01/2013, 04:20 PM   #46
Scythanith
Premium Member

So I have been doing a little figuring on costs for DC pumps. Here is what I came up with.

RE RD3 speedy 65W 1848 gph $753 2.45g per $ 2yr warranty
Speedwave DC10000 2640 gph $200 13.2g per $ can't find literature (assume 1 yr)
Waveline DC12000 3170 gph $280 11.3g per $ can't find literature (assume 1 yr)
Abyzz A400 4910 gph $2340 2.1g per $ 10yr warranty

Where does this leave me... I don't know. The higher the inferred quality, the higher the price. I just have to decide what my pocket book will handle.

Unread 08/03/2013, 07:53 AM   #47
Scythanith
Premium Member

Some progress has been made! You can see the scullery sink we had made up sitting in place. It will sit "on top" of the countertop once it's in. I think we will buy some back splash tiles from HD or Rona and do a back splash as well. Above the back splash will be some peg board or something like that to hang tools.

You can see the opening on the left for the mini freezer.

Unread 08/07/2013, 07:59 PM   #48
Scythanith
Premium Member

Delivery day!

I have an issue with the dimensions of the sump and my sump chamber. It fits almost perfectly aside from a bulkhead I have in the back righthand of the sump. The base for the skimmer just overlaps the bulkhead so the skimmer doesn't sit flat. I am going to find someone that CNC's plastic and have them build me a little 1/2" tall base that the system sits on.

Cheers,
Scott

Unread 08/08/2013, 12:23 AM   #49
rocknut
Rocky

Totally understand the skimmer excitement! I waited for nearly two months to get my Supermarin 200 in June, but it was all worth it once I took it out of the box. I loved the Royal Exclusiv "bag". . Enjoy. Also, build looks great. What I wouldn't give for a basement/tank room...

Current Tank Info: Envision 150 gallon, ATI 8x54w, 30" Venturi skimmer, Neptune Apex flow and dosing
rocknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2013, 12:02 PM   #50
Scythanith
Premium Member

The cabinetry is close to done. There are some big corrections that need to be made but you can get the overall idea. The gap in the doors on both the snake tanks and aquarium top need to be backed so there is no light leak. The lower brace on the aquarium top needs to be altered so I don't lean on it when I get into the tank from the front. Countertops need to be installed. Blah blah blah. Carpets were to be installed on wednesday but they double booked and bounced us to next week.

On a side note, I am tired of dealing with contractors that don't seem to care.

Enjoy!

Snake wall

Tags
abyzz