Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Aquaforest
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/05/2016, 04:37 AM   #1
ayionna06
Registered Member

Siporax

how much would you recommend for a system with 300-320 gallons total water volume? Am currently using the reef salt. Did 3 weeks of bio s. Currently using pro bio s and np pro. Plan on adding corals next week. All levels are good except nitrates which are still at about 20ppm. Plan on having a big bioload as far as fish. Skimmer is the reef octopus 5000 int. Thanks

ayionna06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2016, 01:03 PM   #2
plyle02
Registered Member

IME 1Liter of siporax per 100Liters should be good. Siporax will take at least 6 weeks to start seeing reduction in NO3, just stay the course and begin stocking lightly. Make sure the skimmer is running dry and producing dark skim. Cheers

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2016, 02:18 PM   #3
ayionna06
Registered Member

So what's the purpose of siporax and what is it supposed to do?

Unread 07/05/2016, 02:22 PM   #4
plyle02
Registered Member

Siporax is a highly porous media that is extremely efficient at creating surface area for denitrifying bacteria to populate. Once it is seeded, it helps to reduce mostly nitrates to near zero, it also helps with PO4 as well.

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
Unread 07/05/2016, 03:18 PM   #5
ayionna06
Registered Member

Ok so how is this used? Sounds a lot like bio pellets. Do I just place in sump and forget it? Do I keep in nylon bags? Does after awhile it needs to be rinsed off? Not a lot of info out there on siporax. Is it almost like zeolites?

Unread 07/05/2016, 03:38 PM   #6
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayionna06 View Post
Ok so how is this used? Sounds a lot like bio pellets. Do I just place in sump and forget it? Do I keep in nylon bags? Does after awhile it needs to be rinsed off? Not a lot of info out there on siporax. Is it almost like zeolites?
Hello,
I think you are asking on both this site and a competitor site the same questions, and while this is not AF Product, you will find this thread quite useful. Despite siporax not being an AF product, many users like myself do use it for additional bio-filtration. Cheers.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2526998

Unread 07/06/2016, 11:07 AM   #7
dlai531
Registered Member

I've started looking into this as well since I wanted to start dosing np pro and pro bio s.

Just curious if its still necessary if I already have a decent amount of live rock and chaeto in the sump or whether most people get rid of the chaeto and use siporax or zeolite when dosing np pro and pro bio s

Also ordered ABVE but havent started dosing them yet.

dlai531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2016, 12:34 PM   #8
ClearwaterUK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlai531 View Post
I've started looking into this as well since I wanted to start dosing np pro and pro bio s.

Just curious if its still necessary if I already have a decent amount of live rock and chaeto in the sump or whether most people get rid of the chaeto and use siporax or zeolite when dosing np pro and pro bio s

Also ordered ABVE but havent started dosing them yet.
The AF method is a bacteria based nutrient control and export
Pro Bio S is the Bacteria and NP Pro the Carbon Source

The Cheato will die back as the nutrients are lowered

Siporax is best stacked, most people use an egg crate cage, its best protected from detritus if you can

In combination or separately you can also run Zeolite in a reactor, some folk have Carbon and Phosphate Minus in the same reactor,

the method is quite flexible to suit differing set up and available space in the sump etc

ClearwaterUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2016, 05:30 PM   #9
dlai531
Registered Member

Thanks.. didnt see this and had asked you a similar question in another thread.

I already have a separate reactor where i run carbon 24/7 without GFO. Sounds like a good option for me would to continue use of carbon, remove chaeto and build a Siporax cage in the middle section of my sump between drain and return chambers. Then start dosing Np Pro and pro bio S.

What's a popular brand of Siporax to order? going to research into this tonight as well..

dlai531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2016, 09:04 AM   #10
ClearwaterUK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlai531 View Post
Thanks.. didnt see this and had asked you a similar question in another thread.

I already have a separate reactor where i run carbon 24/7 without GFO. Sounds like a good option for me would to continue use of carbon, remove chaeto and build a Siporax cage in the middle section of my sump between drain and return chambers. Then start dosing Np Pro and pro bio S.

What's a popular brand of Siporax to order? going to research into this tonight as well..
There is only one supplier/manufacturer Sera, the choice is 15 mm or 25mm size

ClearwaterUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2016, 10:54 AM   #11
ayionna06
Registered Member

That's the brand I'm looking into also. Prices vary greatly