Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/06/2007, 04:25 PM   #1
Abiathar
Registered Member

New 12 gal AquaPod

Just started a 12 gallon AquaPod as I really missed my last tank. Right now it has 12 lbs of dead base rock, 12 lbs of live rock and 2 lbs of rubble in the 2nd chamber in the back. Live rock just came in today so I've just started my cycle. The first thing I did when I received the tank was silicone the lower vents to make it a true overflow, we were out of town for the holiday so the silicone had 4 days to cure before I added water. I also changed the stock pump out to a MJ 900 for higher flow and lower power consumption. Temp in the tank is running 82-83 with no heater right now, will probably add a fan to the hood during cycle to bring that down a couple degrees. SG is 1.023 and everything is at 0 right now, but PH is a tad low.
Shot of the silicone covering lower vents.

Without flash.

With Flash

Steve

Abiathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2007, 05:43 PM   #2
reefman13
Registered Member

I would just monitor everything closely. And maybe if you can find some, add some cheato to help seed the dead rock and speed up the cycle a little, because as of now you are looking at like 2 months before you are going to be able to add any fish/corals.

How do you have the back chambers set up?

"One day I will be back in this hobby..." spoken like a true High School student...

Current Tank Info: None for now...for now...
reefman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2007, 09:18 PM   #3
Abiathar
Registered Member

1st chamber is sponge filter, thermometer probe and live rock, 2nd is live rock rubble, third has filter floss and fourth has MJ 900 pump and ground probe. I will remove the filter floss in the next day or 2, it's only there to help clear up sand storm particles. I will keep the sponge filter and clean it out every water change to make sure I don't get build up. I am looking around to get a sand donor from an established system and also looking for some cheato to run in one of the chambers with a clip on light.

Steve

Unread 09/06/2007, 10:46 PM   #4
Malenurse
Premium Member

I have an Aquapod 12 too - just up for a few weeks. I'm wondering about how you plan to add a clip-on light to one of the chambers given the hood design. I can't see how there would be room for it.

Current Tank Info: 5 gallon Fluval Spec zoanthid tank, 65 gallon African Cichlid tank, 29 gallon planted tank
Malenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2007, 07:05 AM   #5
Abiathar
Registered Member

I'll cut the vinyl on the back of the chamber and either use a suction cup or clip to one of the wires to keep the light in place. I have some spare suction cups and heater clips that should work well to hold a small light. Temp is coming down a bit with the feeder door open so I may have to add the heater in, but it won't need to be secured in one of the chambers.

Steve

Unread 09/07/2007, 03:17 PM   #6
Abiathar
Registered Member

Well, picked up a Koralia 1 today from the good folks at Emerald Bay Fish and Reptile along with 2 cups or so of live sand from one of there LR tanks. When I got home to add the sand and pump I redid the aquascaping a little to make room for the pump. Added a large shrimp last night to get the cycle moving along and so far ammo and nitrite are up to .50 and still 0 nitrates. The Koralia is on a timer to be on for 45 sec then off for 45 sec, the MJ 900 that replaced the stock pump is on always. Temp is now down to 80-82 after taking out the stock pump. Pics follow.

Top down with Koralia and MJ running.

Top down with just the MJ.

From the front with new aquascaping and Koralia.

Steve

Unread 09/09/2007, 10:35 PM   #7
saltman123
Registered Member

Off to a great start!

I've had my 12G AP for almost a year late September. In my chambers I run:

Chamber 1 - Filter Floss - NO SPONGE
Chamber 2 - Live Rock Rubble
Chamber 3 - Chemi-pure, Poly Filter Pad, and maybe charcoal
Chamber 4 - Heater and MJ900

Current Tank Info: 12 Gallon Aquapod
saltman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2007, 04:43 PM   #8
Abiathar
Registered Member

Alright, removed the empty large shrimp shell last night and checked parameters. These have held for 2 days and I'm using AP tests that served me well on my last tank.

SG 1.023
PH 8.2
Ammo 0
Trites 0
Trates 40

Will be doing a 25% PWC in the next couple days to bring down the Trates then adding a CUC and some macro. All seems to be going well, started the lights after testing tonight, so far only a very small amount of algae has started. I have seen a bristle worm and a bunch of pods, even think I have a little clam in there. Will keep updating as things happen or change.

Steve

Unread 09/15/2007, 09:06 AM   #9
Abiathar
Registered Member

Did a 25% PWC Thur and another today. Started a 3 gal pico last night and moved about 3-4 lbs of rock to it so re-aquascaped during todays PWC, thought I had too much rock anyway, looked crowed to me. Now I have more room for corals and the rocks they come attached to. Cut the vinyl off chambers 2 and 3, and added a Rio Mini Sun daylight LED lamp back there for some chaeto that will go in chamber 3. The lamp can clamp to the tank and came with a mount that I screwed to the underside of the stand .

Link for light: http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...131~tab~2.html
I have the daylight 1 with 10 white LEDs. It comes in a 50/50 and a night with all blue.

And now for a couple pics.

New aquascaping without flash.

And with flash.

If anybody has any questions, comments or suggestions please feel free to post.

Steve

Unread 09/15/2007, 02:42 PM   #10
NeveSSL
Got tubes?

Very nice! Hope you join us in MTRC.

It may or may not make a difference for you, but I think it is recommended to not run the Koralias on/off on timers... I don't think they're designed to run that way and may not run real long like that. Then again, they may work just fine for years!

Brandon

Zip Ties = Reef Duck Tape

Geek it till it MHz!!!

Current Tank Info: 180g Build in Process
NeveSSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2007, 10:28 PM   #11
saltman123
Registered Member

How's the tank doing? Update?

Unread 09/18/2007, 10:59 AM   #12
luisgo
Registered Member

Light for Aquapod

I have a Aquapod 12 galons and I use Cheato in two of the chambers on back. If you want to have an idea as to placement of the light check this link. It is a forum in spanish but you can see the photos for some ideas.

If you have questions please let me know

http://www.createforum.com/amepr/vie...0&mforum=amepr

luisgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2007, 05:14 PM   #13
Abiathar
Registered Member

Here's the update.

I Have the Rio Mini Sun Daylight LED lamp for the 'fuge' in chamber 3. I screwed the supplied mount to the stand under the tank and the neck reaches to the back of chamber 3 where I cut off the vinyl. The only thing I don't like about the lamp is it doesn't seem to come on with the timer, may just leave the off time and change the on to sometime during the day and manually turn it on before bed. Algae and diatoms are starting to show up, have a partial CUC in there right now and a full CUC coming from reefscavengers.com.

Pic of the mount for Mini Sun.

Pic looking down at tank showing back chambers. The blue sponge will be removed from chamber 1 and only used occasionally after this weekend.

Steve

Unread 09/20/2007, 07:55 PM   #14
DaMonkey
Registered Member

Looks like its getting there - keep up the posts! Very good idea for the mini light - looks nice!

DaMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2007, 04:43 PM   #15
Abiathar
Registered Member

Here's a quick update. Added a frag of pink birds nest from a Mid TN club member, a emerald crab (he ate all the hair and bubble algae that was starting in the tank), a tiger pistol (he's as shy as the crab) and a yellow watchman goby (one of my fav gobies). The goby is eating like a horse and should soon be about 6 in long if he keeps it up. Have been watching my params and they are all staying good, though heat still gets up to mid 82's by lights out, going to add another fan to blow across the water this weekend.

Pink birds nest

GOBY!!!! and if ya look real close you can see the shrimps antennae.

Steve

Unread 09/24/2007, 05:07 PM   #16
saltman123
Registered Member

My tank usually hovers around 80 to 83 depending on the time of year. This past summer my room was unusually hot so I left the top of my tank open to let a little heat escape. Lots of evaporation occured and my salinity would change a lot so be sure to watch as the fan evaporates the water and rises the salt levels.

I just got my first emerald crab last night. Hoping he eats some green hair algae I have growing and a few tiny spots of bubble algae I've been too lazy to pick out.

Unread 09/24/2007, 09:32 PM   #17
DaMonkey
Registered Member

The crab should come out at night - they look really cool under the moonlight! The goby looks really good!

DaMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2007, 09:49 PM   #18
IslandCrow
Reef Monkey

How's that Koralia working for you, and are you using it in conjunction with the MJ900? I was considering adding one of the new Koralia Nanos to my Aquapod, but I'm not sure if I really need that much flow since it's a softie only tank. It would be nice to get the flow coming from opposing directions so it's more dynamic, though.

By the way, if you have any temperature issues, I did a mod to my tank where I removed the feeding door and installed a 60mm computer fan. It works like a charm! My tank actually runs a couple degrees cooler than the outside air temperature. I guess the downside is I have to run a heater, but I like the improved gas exchange, and the tank's in my office, so I don't pay for the electricity.

-Mike C.

Current Tank Info: I have a reef screen saver on my phone, does that count?
IslandCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2007, 04:36 PM   #19
Abiathar
Registered Member

This is the first emerald that I've had that ate the hair algae. I had 3 in my 29 gal and the first one I got wouldn't touch the bubble that was trying to take over the tank. When I got the other 2 they ate all the bubble within the first week. The crab has a few hiding spots but he's normally out and about when I'm up to watch the tank. The goby is healthy and bright yellow with blue spots that glow under the moonlights, I'm trying to get a good pic of that.

I have upgraded the stock pump to an MJ900 for the improved flow and efficiency. I like the Koralia, although I think it may be a bit too much flow in the tank, I can tell the goby isn't too pleased. It really is fun to watch him catch his food in the flow though. When the Koralia Nano pumps become readily available I will probably change over to one of them to decrease the flow a bit. Right now to help with the heat I leave the feeder door open all day and night, should have just removed it when I modded the hood and added the second fan, will do that when I add the third fan.

Will post new pics by the weekend, hopefully of a spotted glowing goby and maybe a better one of the coral.

Steve

Unread 09/29/2007, 07:42 AM   #20
Abiathar
Registered Member

Here are a couple new pics. The fuge pic was taken last night and the other right after PWC this morning. Haven't made any new additions to the tank since last weekend and may not make any more for another week or 2, though I will be visiting the LFS later this morning and they may have something I just have to have.

Fuge pic showing the cut vinyl, the LRR and chaeto. You can just make out most of the Rio Mini Sun.

Side of chamber 4 where MJ900 and heater are. I cut a small slit up the side so I can view the water level in the back of the tank at a glance. This was the feature of the BC that I liked best. I marked on there where I like the water levels to be. The water is a bit cloudy from the Purple Up dose after the water change.

Steve

Unread 09/29/2007, 02:28 PM   #21
mstein
Moved On

I have a 120 and am looking into a Aquapod type of nano as a second tank. How much maintenance do you do per week? (water change, etc.), please pm

mstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2007, 03:27 PM   #22
reeffish964
Moved On

Nice landscaping.

reeffish964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2007, 03:06 PM   #23
pmjfuture
Registered Member

cool nano!!

pmjfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2007, 05:37 PM   #24
mister crabs
Registered Member

where did you get teh rio light from? gotta link by chance please?

mister crabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2007, 05:37 PM   #25
mister crabs
Registered Member

also...whats the avantage of siliconing the lower vents?

mister crabs is offline   Reply With Quote