Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/27/2011, 09:33 PM   #1
mtway
Registered Member

Dwarf Fuzzy Lion Fish

I HAD two lions fish in my 100 gal. tank. I got a dwarf fuzzy three days after I got a dwarf lion fish. I had to remove some rock and was freaking out about removing the rock with a MIA lion fish about. I finished with the rock and did not find the fish. After the rock was back in the tank one of the condis started turning inside out and out of the condi comes the skeleton of my lion fish. He had not eat a bite since i put him in the tank but he was active after dark.

I know the LFS was feeding them live fresh water feeders. I know this is not right , but i tried to feed him those as well. No dice he just would not eat. I figured he finally died of starvation and was snagged by the anemone. The fuzzy lion will not eat either. I have tried bamboo, garlic, wiggle the silverside and not wiggle. I have put the silverside on the bamboo in the rock and will see if it is gone in the morning.

If this does not work, is there anything else I can try. I love the look of the lion fish in the tank and dont want to lose the fuzzy as well.

Any help or advise is welcome.

Thanks!

mtway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2011, 07:38 AM   #2
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Fuzzies usually adopt pretty quickly. That said, it's often worth giving them live feeders to start. Once they acclimate to your role as the food bringer, it gets real easy to switch them dead foods.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2011, 11:00 PM   #3
mtway
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply Bill. The fuzzy came out today when I added 80 pounds of live rock so I tried to feed him when he plucked something off the rock. I tried the feeder fish and he turned away and started to hide. I tried a thawed silver side and he refused again. I think he is eating my peppermint shrimp at night.

While I got you. We found a stow away on the rock we got today. I have no idea what it is and I can't get a good picture of it either. This is what i know about it. It is covered in coraline algae it has four "tubes" the tube has hole in them but nothing that comes out of it. It moves with the current and retracts when I shine a light on it.

I will try to get a good picture of it and post it later.

Last edited by mtway; 07/28/2011 at 11:18 PM.
Unread 07/29/2011, 01:06 AM   #4
SarahE
Registered Member

There are a few types of tube snails you might have picked up. You may have four of them on a piece of rock. Google "vermitid snails" and see if what you have looks like any of the pictures.

SarahE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2011, 01:07 AM   #5
SarahE
Registered Member

Also, I hope your fuzzy dwarf works out. I've always wanted one but haven't worked up to a tank that big yet.

SarahE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2011, 07:36 AM   #6
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtway View Post
I think he is eating my peppermint shrimp at night.
I"d be surprised if he isn't

With the tubes, vermitids is a good possibility. Couple of other possibilities too. If you can get some pics, that might help narrow things down.

Unread 07/29/2011, 05:44 PM   #7
mtway
Registered Member

I have attached 3 photos. One is one i took while the rock was in the tank. The second is one that the rock was outside of the tank, and the third highlights the critter with the color splash iphone app. the thing is hard to tell from the rock. I got the nerve to touch it while it was out of the tank ans water came out of one of the tubes each time i touched it. I looked at the pictures from the google search and it looks nothing like it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg hitchhiker 1.jpg (35.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg hitchhiker 2.jpg (68.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg hitchhiker 3.jpg (95.6 KB, 48 views)
Unread 07/29/2011, 05:51 PM   #8
mtway
Registered Member

I found my 100 gal with wet\dry filter and overflow box. 30 pounds of rock on craigslist for a very decent price. Worth a look on your area. I have managed to add over $1000.00 of other stuff - protein skimmer, T-5 HO lights- new over flow box - hang on back refugium - wave maker fans - new sump pump, that is still too small for the water movement i need.

Unread 07/29/2011, 07:02 PM   #9
thebanker
Moved On

I see what you're seeing. It looks like it could be a type of sea squirt, (tunicate). I can't say for sure, but from what you've described, it has a siphon tube that squirts when you apply pressure. Sounds like a tunicate to me.

thebanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2011, 07:34 PM   #10
mtway
Registered Member

If it is a Tunicate should I let it stay in the tank? Will it give me problems when it reproduces?

Unread 07/29/2011, 08:07 PM   #11
billsreef
10 & Over Club

If it feels hard and rock like, it's a bivalve of some kind. If it's a bit squishy and leathery feeling, it's a tunicate. Either way, it's a perfectly safe and common hitchhiker that you can leave alone

Unread 07/29/2011, 09:00 PM   #12
mtway
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the help everybody!

Unread 07/31/2011, 08:46 PM   #13
mtway
Registered Member

The fuzzy finally ate this afternoon, we were able to get some ghost shrimp at a LFS 3 hours away. I was able to find a Mandarin Dragonette. It does eat frozen food and it did eat yesterday. Do I need to feed it again today and if so how is the best way to feed just him?

Unread 08/02/2011, 06:27 AM   #14
billsreef
10 & Over Club

The fuzzy will do fine being fed a solid meal (i.e. stuffed his face) every couple of days. Mandarins need to be fed daily, and do best when there is a decent population of pods in the tank to graze on during the day.

Unread 08/03/2011, 11:52 AM   #15
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtway View Post
The fuzzy finally ate this afternoon, we were able to get some ghost shrimp at a LFS 3 hours away. I was able to find a Mandarin Dragonette. It does eat frozen food and it did eat yesterday. Do I need to feed it again today and if so how is the best way to feed just him?
Best by far with sufficient copepods. Otherwise feed 3-4 times daily.

Tags
feeding, lion fish, will not eat