Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/04/2018, 07:15 AM   #1
matt7116
Registered Member

Pump or controller issues with the double cone 180

I have had issues restarting the RD3 Speedy pump on the double cone 180 for the past few months. Sometimes the controller will read nothing and other times it reads 88 or 8 or 08. I have recently cleaned the pump with vinegar, but this has not helped. I purchased it new in July 2016. This problem only happens after I unplug it for water changes or cleaning the cup and then plug it back in. I clean the pump with vinegar every 4-6 months. It has worked flawlessly for about 12-14 months, then this restarting problem began to happen. Any ideas?

matt7116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2018, 08:50 AM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt7116 View Post
I have had issues restarting the RD3 Speedy pump on the double cone 180 for the past few months. Sometimes the controller will read nothing and other times it reads 88 or 8 or 08. I have recently cleaned the pump with vinegar, but this has not helped. I purchased it new in July 2016. This problem only happens after I unplug it for water changes or cleaning the cup and then plug it back in. I clean the pump with vinegar every 4-6 months. It has worked flawlessly for about 12-14 months, then this restarting problem began to happen. Any ideas?
When you clean it, are you removing the impeller and cleaning the magnet and magnet cavity as well?

88 is a normal start up number on the screen. If you are seeing an F8 message, that is telling you there may be an air obstruction which can be the result of a clog/salt creep in the venturi port where the airline connects to the pump, a kink in the air line hose, clogged foam filter in the silencer etc. If any of the above doesn’t resolve the issue, send me a PM with your phone number and email address.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2018, 09:25 AM   #3
matt7116
Registered Member

Yes, I removed the impeller and cleaned it with a brush. Same for the pump cavity. Even before cleaning, they don't appear to be too dirty. I have cleaned the silencer and foam. Before cleaning it, I would occasionally get the F8 error. Yesterday, I had the 88 on the controller after plugging it back in, then 5 minutes later the pump started up. This problem only happens on start up after unplugging. Once it's going it never stops on fault.

Unread 01/04/2018, 10:01 AM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

PM sent.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 01/04/2018 at 10:10 AM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2018, 10:06 AM   #5
matt7116
Registered Member

I will send a PM shortly. Thanks.