Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/29/2008, 06:43 PM   #1
tmn_3
Registered Member

Question Would this lighting unit be overkill on my tank?

Hello everyone. I am trying to start a reef tank and I am at the point where I am ready to buy a light. I have a 46g bow tank. I would like to have a little bit of everything in my tank, from sps down. I am looking at the OuterOrbit HQI/T5HO 36" 2x150 W 10K HQI. This unit is made of 2x150 MH and 4x39w T5. Do you think that this is to much light for my tank? If not, do you think that I will be ok to keep all types of coral in my tank?
Thanks

tmn_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2008, 07:04 PM   #2
backfish
Registered Member

I have not used that brand of fixture myself but the amount of lighting actually sound about right for SPS- I am sure there will be areas around your rock work with less light to put LPS/ softies or what ever. I run about 3X the wattage on a tank abou 3X the size and I have a mixed reef with SPS near the top, softies near the bottom, and LPS and clams mixed throughout. I run halides 7 hrs a day and T5s 12 hrs/day. That amount of light works well for me!
Cheers,
Tracy

backfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2008, 07:08 PM   #3
firebirdude
User and Abuser

Perfect lighting.

firebirdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2008, 01:52 AM   #4
ahullsb
Registered Member

I have the 48 inch version of that fixture and really like it! It won't be too much light for your tank. Get 14k bulbs instead of 10k if you can and you should like the result.

Sacramento, CA

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon reef w/20 gallon sump/ER135/ 75 pounds of live rock, 4 in sandbed, 2 b&w ocellaris clowns, yellow watchman/pistol, rosy scaled wrasse, Mystery wrasse, Copperbanded Butterfly, Lighting 48" outer orbit 2 150 mh/ 4 t5 actinics
ahullsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2008, 07:12 AM   #5
tmn_3
Registered Member

I just did not know if 469 total watts would be to much. Do you guys think that ANY corals will be ok? My tank is 22" deep.

Unread 09/30/2008, 07:14 AM   #6
chimmike
oxygen abuser

the lights don't all have to be on at the same time, so you can vary the total wattage that is on at any given time with timers, controller, etc.

chimmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2008, 08:03 AM   #7
tmn_3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chimmike
the lights don't all have to be on at the same time, so you can vary the total wattage that is on at any given time with timers, controller, etc.
I thought that having a setup like that is to replicate the sunlight cycle. I thought the T5 would come on first (morning), then the T5 and MH (miday), and then back to T5(evening). So the T5 and the MH would be at the same time, is that to much at once?

Unread 09/30/2008, 10:32 AM   #8
mehaffydr
Registered Member

I have the Outer Orbit unit that has 2- 250 and 4 39w T-5 on my 58 Gal ref. This is good light but I definatly would not call it too much. Everything in the tank is growing nice. I have had mine since Dec 07.

mehaffydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2008, 11:12 AM   #9
backfish
Registered Member

Yeah- really dont think it is too much. Like I said equivalent watts/gallon works great for my mixed reef

backfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2008, 07:40 PM   #10
ahullsb
Registered Member

It won't be too much light if you acclimate everything properly. Then in the future, low light corals can be placed low near or on the sandbed. Higher light corals up high obviously. Once things begin to grow, you will have all sorts of shaded areas to play with.

Sacramento, CA

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon reef w/20 gallon sump/ER135/ 75 pounds of live rock, 4 in sandbed, 2 b&w ocellaris clowns, yellow watchman/pistol, rosy scaled wrasse, Mystery wrasse, Copperbanded Butterfly, Lighting 48" outer orbit 2 150 mh/ 4 t5 actinics
ahullsb is offline   Reply With Quote