Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/14/2017, 06:24 PM   #126
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBoreReefer View Post
How do you get the high and low settings on the flow graphs?
Not sure if its an Apex 2016 thing or not but go to the properties/configuration of the flow meter and select Advanced on top . Most all inputs have that.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2017, 06:28 AM   #127
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
Not sure if its an Apex 2016 thing or not but go to the properties/configuration of the flow meter and select Advanced on top . Most all inputs have that.

Must be an Apex 2016 thing, I can't find any extras or tabs about my flow meters or any inputs for that matter on my classic

Unread 05/15/2017, 02:07 PM   #128
stage3-s4
Registered Member

I have being using a 1" flow sensor I bought of amazon last year which works fine. I'm curious if anyone knows what the the pulses per gallon value is for one of these meters? It would be great to use one of these for other applications outside of an apex neptune (which is impossible without that value). I guess that is a question for Apex directly I suppose.

Also to the comments regarding the fittings, the meter I purchased also had a G1 or BSPP type thread. I bought 1" NPT female fittings and used Teflon pipe dope along with Teflon tape for extra security. Sealed up fine and has been working for a year no problem without leaks. I highly recommend using pipe dope on any threaded PVC connections over just Teflon tape. The blue stuff shown earlier is great but more suited for black iron pipe used for natural gas or propane so its a bit overkill. White pipe dope is fine and can be found at any hardware store.

stage3-s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2017, 05:56 PM   #129
alemone
Registered Member

I have an 1" and two 1/2" flow sensor. All three have demonstrated a somewhat peculiar behavior. The apparent flow rate will go from a relatively high number to zero and stay there. E.g. my 1" sensor will go from 160 GHP to zero in a second. The flow is not actually zero as I can tell. The smaller ones do the same. Do they have to be cleaned often? I am not sure what is going on.

alemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2017, 06:16 PM   #130
jason2459
Registered Member

FYI, neptune is soon to release a new update that will include some updates to the FMM. So, if you update the base unit make sure to update the modules too.

Was told it will be out around the end of the week.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
Unread 05/17/2017, 08:10 PM   #131
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemone View Post
I have an 1" and two 1/2" flow sensor. All three have demonstrated a somewhat peculiar behavior. The apparent flow rate will go from a relatively high number to zero and stay there. E.g. my 1" sensor will go from 160 GHP to zero in a second. The flow is not actually zero as I can tell. The smaller ones do the same. Do they have to be cleaned often? I am not sure what is going on.
Make sure the plugs are fully pushed in! One of mine did this. The black end on the sensor plug BARELY, I MEAN BARELY slid in. It was very snug and didn't seat all the way. I got to double checking things and I noticed it was hung up on the FMM plastic case. I gave it a more firm push and it seated, and flow instantly went back to normal.

Maybe give that a look? Worth a shot I guess...

Unread 05/17/2017, 08:19 PM   #132
alemone
Registered Member

Quote:
Make sure the plugs are fully pushed in! One of mine did this. The black end on the sensor plug BARELY, I MEAN BARELY slid in. It was very snug and didn't seat all the way. I got to double checking things and I noticed it was hung up on the FMM plastic case. I gave it a more firm push and it seated, and flow instantly went back to normal.

Maybe give that a look? Worth a shot I guess...
I just took a look. I see what you mean. Thanks. Unfortunately, that wasn't the issue.

Unread 05/19/2017, 01:12 PM   #133
jason2459
Registered Member

New Firmware is out and the only module that had an update was the FMM. I'm all up to date now. See if that stops the flat lining.

Unread 05/23/2017, 05:02 AM   #134
alemone
Registered Member

I had a second module- brand new- which I substituted for the old FMM module. Still getting 0 on all 3 sensors. I took one of the 1/2" out and cleaned it. It wasn’t a matter of cleaning. Am I the only one with such a bad experience?

Unread 05/23/2017, 05:11 AM   #135
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemone View Post
I had a second module- brand new- which I substituted for the old FMM module. Still getting 0 on all 3 sensors. I took one of the 1/2" out and cleaned it. It wasn’t a matter of cleaning. Am I the only one with such a bad experience?
Actually when I got home last night one of my three 1" sensors was sitting at 0, within 30 secs it went back to 235. No issue before or after that I've seen. Maybe a freak accident that I just happened to catch. My other two 1" sensors and my 1/2" sensor have been fine.

I have another FMM, a 1" sensor, and a 1/4" sensor yet to be installed...

Last edited by FullBoreReefer; 05/23/2017 at 05:17 AM.
FullBoreReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2017, 05:32 AM   #136
alemone
Registered Member

Quote:
Actually when I got home last night one of my three 1" sensors was sitting at 0, within 30 secs it went back to 235. No issue before or after that I've seen. Maybe a freak accident that I just happened to catch. My other two 1" sensors and my 1/2" sensor have been fine.

I have another FMM, a 1" sensor, and a 1/4" sensor yet to be installed...
This is how it starts...

Unread 05/23/2017, 06:42 AM   #137
jason2459
Registered Member

Curious if you two have updated the firmware yet for the base unit and then the module?

Shows I'm on revision 11 now.

Unread 05/23/2017, 08:17 AM   #138
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Curious if you two have updated the firmware yet for the base unit and then the module?

Shows I'm on revision 11 now.
Yes, updated my Apex, the FMM, and the WXM Sunday evening.

Unread 05/23/2017, 08:32 AM   #139
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, updated my Apex, the FMM, and the WXM Sunday evening.
Ok cool. Only issues I've had was all the readings just freezing in time until I unplugged and plugged back in the aquabus cable. Will see if it does it again after the firmware update. Not a huge issue just annoying.

Do you have the sensors horizontal or vertical and how much flow is going through? Any air being pulled in like microbubbles from a skimmer or from an overflow?

Unread 05/23/2017, 09:13 AM   #140
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok cool. Only issues I've had was all the readings just freezing in time until I unplugged and plugged back in the aquabus cable. Will see if it does it again after the firmware update. Not a huge issue just annoying.

Do you have the sensors horizontal or vertical and how much flow is going through? Any air being pulled in like microbubbles from a skimmer or from an overflow?
Actually the one in question is horizontal with the sensor body "hanging below", the other two are vertical. I suppose there is a chance to recieve micro bubbles from the overflow/input of my sump, although IF any it is very minimal, but the chance IS there. Flow through the horizontal 1" is 230-235gph. My 1/2" sensor is also horizontal and ran off the same pump/manifold, it's flow is 70-75gph. I'll keep an eye on the 1/2" as well...

Unread 05/23/2017, 11:02 AM   #141
jason2459
Registered Member

Yeah, I'm not sure how finicky they are to positioning, bubbles, strands of algae or bacteria, etc. Like ca1ore pointed out I would definitely always try and go up in size and back down for the plumbing to help with any restrictions. And as easy as those paddles or fans(in case of the 2") spin I'd imagine they could be stopped just as easily.

Unread 05/23/2017, 11:22 AM   #142
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not sure how finicky they are to positioning, bubbles, strands of algae or bacteria, etc. Like ca1ore pointed out I would definitely always try and go up in size and back down for the plumbing to help with any restrictions. And as easy as those paddles or fans(in case of the 2") spin I'd imagine they could be stopped just as easily.
Yeah I agree, all my 1" sensors are on a 3/4" plumbing system.

Unread 05/23/2017, 12:21 PM   #143
alemone
Registered Member

My both modules are up-to-date on the firmware. All sensors are horizontal and I don't think there should be any bubble issues. I can't tell for sure what the flow rate on the two 0.5" ones is but the 1" has a rate around 200 g/h. That's my main return line and the flow is visibly the same as when the flow sensor was indicating 200g/h.

Unread 06/13/2017, 08:29 PM   #144
alemone
Registered Member

I got to the bottom of the issue. It was indeed debris collected in the bushings. You have to completely disassemble the sensor and clean it. When I cleaned my sensors initially I was looking for large amounts of detritus inside the lumen but I wasn't thinking of detritus creating friction in the bushings.

All three sensors now work properly.

Unread 07/25/2017, 09:55 PM   #145
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Thinking out loud ..... Any reason anyone can think of to preclude using one of these sensors on the suction side of a pump? After all, flow is flow. Just need to make sure the arrow is pointing in the correct direction.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2017, 01:53 AM   #146
jason2459
Registered Member

Clogging and restricting flow which isn't supposed to be done to the intake. I've had my 2" return get stuck once so far. My 1/2" reactor one keeps needing knocked on to get going again. In fact it looks like it needs it now.

Unread 07/26/2017, 04:38 AM   #147
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

My sensors seems to flatline for no reason every few weeks (not usually all at the same time). It's a shame because I can't use the flow as a reliable programming tool to take action in the event of a clogged drain or failed return since I've had probably about a dozen false alarms over the past few months. I am really just using it for reference at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2017, 05:42 AM   #148
jason2459
Registered Member

I've had mine completely flatline again once since the update that was supposed to fix the flatlining. Unplugged and plug back in the aquabus kicks it back on. I don't rely on mine as a failsafe except alerts.

Unread 07/26/2017, 06:50 PM   #149
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
I've had mine completely flatline again once since the update that was supposed to fix the flatlining. Unplugged and plug back in the aquabus kicks it back on. I don't rely on mine as a failsafe except alerts.
I currently have two FMM's, both have giving me a fit at one point, but the one seems to be waaaaay worse than the other.

Purchased about 3-4wks apart.

Unread 12/07/2017, 11:18 AM   #150
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Bumping an older thread .....

Been using a bunch of these flow sensors (up to three FFM modules now), and while I think they are a worthwhile addition to my monitoring practices, I do find the sensors quite prone to clogging or getting jammed. I would strongly recommend that anyone using them be judicious about them controlling anything, versus just monitoring and alerting. Also install them into your plumbing in such a way that they are easily serviced. I use a pair of the 1" sensors on my siphon drains, for example, and have a ball valve upstream of each sensor so it can be quickly removed without having to shut off the main pump. I have 6 flow sensors in total and find that about once a month one of them bottoms out and needs TLC. Good news is that, so far, all have been returned to full function with a cleaning.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote