Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/27/2015, 04:00 AM   #1
aharmsworth
Registered Member

New Nano & Sump build

Hi all.

I am starting a new build and return to marine after 5 years of fresh water. My last marine setup was ill informed with several design issues, primarily as I build the system incrementally, adding sump kit lights after setting up the tank. This causes a plethora of compromises thought-out the system and detracted from the enjoyment of the hobby.
So this time I want to do it right and wanted to a share the build and hopefully benefit from the experience in this forum. I am asking for your help to keep me honest to my self imposed design principals, Please free to suggest others –

1. Quality is more in important than quantity.
2. All wires, equipment must be invisible in the DT or as clean and as tidy as possible.
3. Build duration is not a factor, do it right if not do it again.
4. Minimalize lifting and maintenance operations, no lifting 25 ltr tubs of water though the house.
5. Keep as much ‘equipment’ in the Fish Corner of the garage
6. Keep Water changes away from the DT automate as much as practical
7. Build in capacity in the system for growth of equipment, add water volume to the sump

Overview of my thoughts so far
1 display tank reef ready 60cm x 45cm 45 cm o classing it as a nano build, I am thinking of a rimless TMC Signature
Sump will be held in a dedicated cabinet in garage the other side of the wall to the dt.
Separate water prep and work area again in the garage ( wife friendly)

I have had some time today to start collecting my thoughts on the sump so was hopeful I could ask for your views on this design before I start ordering the tank and baffles.

I have gone with the principal bigger is better for the sump with some room for future expansion..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0332.jpg (37.5 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by aharmsworth; 12/27/2015 at 04:11 AM.
aharmsworth is offline   Reply With Quote