Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/06/2017, 12:39 PM   #1
Dugless
Registered Member

Amazon Fire or Barnes & Noble Nook?

Looking for a cheap tablet to control my GHL Profilux and ATI hybrid powermodule. Would the Amazon Fire or Barnes & Noble Nook work? If so, any recommendations? Thanks!

Dugless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 12:46 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

If all you need is a web browser or even just a simple Android app than absolutely..

I just picked up multiple $29 Fire 7 tablets which I will mount on my walls to become the dashboards for my "smart home"..

You can still easily add google play apps too (once you follow the instructions to add google play and a few other companion programs) and aren't bound by the Amazon only apps..
I also run another app (caffine is the one I'm trying now) that just keeps the device on and never lets it go to sleep (ads on the home screen of Amazon will never show up) and you can do all sorts of other fun stuff like use motion detector/tasker apps to have it sense when you are infront of it and wake,etc.. or dim the screen when you aren't,etc..

Unread 12/07/2017, 01:46 AM   #3
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Fire tablets are sooooo cheap. Wouldn't be surprised if there was a way to get vanilla Android on it, either.

Current Tank Info: 78"x36"x27" acrylic, 6 Orphek Atlantik V3+ Compacts, MRC Orca Pro II w/washdown, CalcFeeder Pro AC3, Emperor Aquatics 80w UV, 80/20 aluminum stand, Vortech MP60's, Theiling Rollermat, GHL Profilux 3.1T EX, Kessil H380
HippieSmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 05:35 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieSmell View Post
Fire tablets are sooooo cheap. Wouldn't be surprised if there was a way to get vanilla Android on it, either.
yes you can always root it and install regular Android OS on it..
But you really don't need to..