Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/06/2018, 12:29 PM   #1
gamerunr
Registered Member

Need identification help

What are these and how do I get rid of them? They are multiplying at a rapid rate in my tank. I think they are hydroids but I haven't found anything to positively identify them with. Any suggestions on how I can get rid of them is greatly appreciated.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg new2.jpg (75.8 KB, 66 views)
gamerunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2018, 06:19 AM   #2
eastlake
Registered Member

It's hard for me to tell from the picture, my eyes aren't what they used to be, but to me they look like young aiptasia. There are a variety of things out there that make outrageous claims and some do work some of the time but for the most part the only thing that I've seen work well for large infestations is berghia nudibrachs. They're obligatory aiptasia eaters and do a heck of a job. Once the job is done you can move them on to a new home, there's always a nearby reefer in need of an aiptaisa killer. You could also try a raccoon butterfly, aiptasia eating file fish or copper banded butterfly, but there's no guarantee that either of those won't go after coral once they've cleaned up the aiptasia. Of the three, I've personally seen raccoon butterfly fish eat aiptasia like they're never going to see food again.

eastlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2018, 07:44 AM   #3
gamerunr
Registered Member

I thought aiptasia too but I contacted a local guy who sells berghia nudibrachs and he said they were not aiptasia. I've dealt with aiptasia before. He said they were hydroids but I cannot find a reference. Whatever they are they are a pest and manual removal just spread them like mad.

Unread 06/07/2018, 07:57 AM   #4
Rover88
Registered Member

Try to turn your whites on full and your blues off.

It will help to focus the picture and allow a clearer shot.

Then we can try to ID!

Rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2018, 07:59 AM   #5
Rover88
Registered Member

(It looks like Aiptasia or Majano to me)

Rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2018, 11:03 AM   #6
eastlake
Registered Member

Hmmmm, if they are indeed hydroids I've seen raccoon butterflies munch on them as well.

eastlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2018, 11:30 PM   #7
mndfreeze
Invert Sexy Time!

There are a loooadd of different species of hydroids. Not all are bad news. A lot of the single polyp type species tend to die off after a while and come in blooms. I have some tiny ones that came in with reef stew live mix I fed my tank. Apparently they are common in brine shrimp mixes. Mine look like itty bitty tiny baby nems almost, but barely bigger then a spec on my glass.

Not saying yours are the same, just that there are a lot of different kinds. If you feed really heavy that also could be part of the problem.

mndfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2018, 12:20 PM   #8
gamerunr
Registered Member

I'll try to get a better picture this weekend. I can't turn off the blue channel as this is a 150 watt DE halide.