Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/10/2020, 09:07 AM   #1
bheron
Registered Member

Recommendation for new pumps

Hi Roger,
As I mentioned in an earlier thread looking to replace my ol faithful 6080. Going to stick with the Tunze brand b/c of my great experience with the product and support here. Dont need anything over the top. Looking at the 6125 and the 6105. While I do have an Apex its looking like controllable (DC?) types might be more than I want to spend. Looks like the two I mentioned have some sort of control. I have a 220g medium stocked tank that the 6080s worked well for.

thoughts?

Current Tank Info: 220 since Nov 2005
bheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2020, 09:47 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Thank you for the kind words.

6105 is controllable, 6125 is not. In general I prefer the controllable pumps for most flow situations as the ability to pulse and alternate is very useful for creating a more natural flow pattern. The 6085 is the current equivalent of the 6080. The main drawback to the DC pumps is that they won't last as long, the circuitry has a finite life span, which typically if well cared for is around 8 years, after that the capacitors will fail to hold a charge and the motor would need to be replaced.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2021, 06:15 PM   #3
bheron
Registered Member

Hi Roger,
Wanted to first let you know I took your advice and helpful insight and purchased two 6105s for my tank.

However I'm having a hard time finding guidance on how to best place and set them. I have a 220g tank. 6' x 24" × 30" high. I have them positioned at either end of the tank facing at each other. I'd like to get a wave effect. But I can't seem to find a good setting between the two of them. I also have a Neptune Apex system.

But can't find any suggested settings for either the controllers themselves or sample apex coding.

Im usuay good if i have some good directions to work with. Any guidance would be appreciated!!

Thanks Bryan

Current Tank Info: 220 since Nov 2005
bheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2021, 09:20 AM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

If you want an actual standing wave, it is probably easiest to use them exactly as you have them positioned and just follow the instructions on pages 36-37 to set up inverse mode and the instruction on pages 32-35 for setting the wave frequency. You would need the cable to tether the two pumps.

Generally, my preferred set up would be to place one pump in each back corner so it hits the front about 4.5 ft away and set a pulse of 100% to 40-60% every few seconds on one pump, while the other runs at a steady low speed and every 5-6 hours they switch, this will generally mimic the effects of tides and waves without an actual standing wave and if this is the main flow in the tank, will provide a more effective flow. Waves are a nice add on to flow, but in most cases except for NPS and anemones, are not usually enough flow on there own.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote