Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/13/2014, 01:08 AM   #301
Tek
Mr. Vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado_bite View Post
Following along
FYI. There is a subscribe to thread option.

Tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2014, 07:46 PM   #302
fscbishop
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoletti View Post

Just dosed 1st treatment of interceptor

fscbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2014, 09:18 AM   #303
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

Can someone give me the concise info for the bayer dip (strength, exact product name, time, what it kills)?

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2014, 03:28 PM   #304
jfeva0049
Registered Member

do red bugs always have a yellow body?? i have tons of little pods/bugs on my glass that appear to be clear with a little brown head. these are very small, small than a typical looking pod. any idea if they are harmful? thanks.

jfeva0049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2014, 02:39 PM   #305
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

bugs on glass = not a threat

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Unread 02/12/2014, 08:53 PM   #306
Swirlygig
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terri_ann View Post
17 SPS's are severely affected. I removed them from the 135g to the 40B because I will be able to better observe and care for them. These 17 may be lost as that's how bad they are. No or very little polyp extension, white coloration, brown out and tissue loss. Makes me sick as 3/4ths are high dollar sticks

I did a test of the ORA and YZ Red Planets...Lugul's for 5 minutes and then blasted them. I didn't find any flatworms, nudi's or eggs. That's good and I didn't see any signs on the other 15 SPS's. I didn't realize that RB's could reek so much havoc on them!

Stick keepers are great! I have been keeping them for about 5 years. I really like Milli's because of the polyps...I like movement in the tanks! I had just received in late September 13 new SPS's. Many of the 17 are those I dropped about a grand on them so......... But, I try to look on the positive side of things...things could be worse Over the years, I have had 2 tank crashes That's the worst!! Think I need to get a really good magnifying glass as my eye's just aren't what they used to be

I will Google AEFW's. Thanks again!
Is there a reason why you didn't just treat your tank? Sentinel doesn't hurt anything but your typical crustaceans. i.e. hermits, crabs, maybe urchin

Clams, anemones, corals, fish, cucumbers, snails, starfish will all be just fine. If anything I would have moved the inverts to the 40breeder instead. Pulling coral off rocks sounds like a pain.

Swirlygig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2014, 12:04 AM   #307
fishdoc11
catch and release

SPS pests and treatment options

Seems like borneman came up with the bright idea that using Interceptor(what we used then) on the whole tank harmed it in some way, the disruption of micro fauna from what I can remember, this typically recovers well in a few weeks. I never had An issue with pods etc... comming back. Removing crabs is a great idea. Also wait several weeks before reintroduction because the active ingredient takes a while to be fully eliminated from the tank.
Hth, Chris

Current Tank Info: 70 gallon mixed reef
fishdoc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2014, 06:24 PM   #308
Oldude
Premium Member

SPS eating starfish

Harliquin shrimp will solve the issue & manual removal is pretty easy if you can spot them.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...&postcount=111

~ April 2010 TOTM ~
Oldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2014, 04:29 AM   #309
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

I have a question. I have been toying with the idea of nuking my tank with interceptor. I have a couple of smooth slimed Sps that have either a copapods that iterate them or black bugs. My question is I have a beautiful large blue maxima and don't want to kill it. Is interceptor clam safe?
Thanks
Michael

LIVE SAND ITS THE CURE........®

Current Tank Info: 120 CUBE Live sand Mitras lx6100hv MRC MR 2 single becket MP40 power head Aquamedic dosing pump using B-ionic
trueblackpercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2014, 05:38 AM   #310
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

Interceptor will not harm clams.

Unread 04/21/2014, 04:49 AM   #311
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterOfJustice View Post
Interceptor will not harm clams.
Thanks dosed and all pest are gone this stuff is amazing and my clam did t even blink during treatment.

Thanks everyone

Michael

Current Tank Info: 120 CUBE Live sand Mitras lx6100hv MRC MR 2 single becket MP40 power head Aquamedic dosing pump using B-ionic
Unread 04/26/2014, 12:25 PM   #312
StaghornE
Registered Member

I know at the beginning of this thread a few people mentioned a temperature drop wiping out red bug infestations. Is there anymore info on this posted anywhere? On a side note I am not endorsing anything, but, I had a major MEN infestation which wiped out quiet a few montis in my tank. I threw away all infested colonies, except for two colonies that I really like. I started dosing flat worm stop about 2-3 months ago. I now have not seen a nudi in my tank for over a month. I can't be sure it was the FWS, but coincidentally my montis are reencrusting dead skeleton and coloring up. I will be sure to post if they do happen to come back.

StaghornE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2014, 10:58 AM   #313
StaghornE
Registered Member

Has anyone tried a dip for red bugs that Dr. G's is selling? Supposed to have the same ingredients as interceptor.

Unread 05/06/2014, 04:30 PM   #314
alex gonzales
Registered Member

Is it possible to dip a large rock that has multiple sps corals on it? I worry about not getting all the pesticide out and it leaches into my tank, and harms my fish. I'm talking about the bayer dip.

alex gonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2014, 10:37 PM   #315
ajcanale
Registered Member

Completed 3 week Sentinel treatment for red bugs about a month ago with amazing success. I ran dosage higher than recommended, 1 largest sized tablet for 110g total water volume, each time.
No losses other than red bugs and pods.
No issues with wrasses or other livestock which could have consumed dead pods.
All 20+ acros/montis ranging from well develped frags to colonies are fine (if not better than ever) as well as 3 bubble tip anemones.
Orange linckia starfish is fine as well.

Current Tank Info: 150g Starphire Pensinula SPS
ajcanale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2014, 04:15 AM   #316
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

I just wanted to follow up and say I treated as well no issues at all. All fish Sps and clam are doing fantastic. No more bugs at all and I have some great PE, do t know what they were but they are all gone.

Michael

Unread 05/15/2014, 06:31 PM   #317
StaghornE
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaghornE View Post
I know at the beginning of this thread a few people mentioned a temperature drop wiping out red bug infestations. Is there anymore info on this posted anywhere? On a side note I am not endorsing anything, but, I had a major MEN infestation which wiped out quiet a few montis in my tank. I threw away all infested colonies, except for two colonies that I really like. I started dosing flat worm stop about 2-3 months ago. I now have not seen a nudi in my tank for over a month. I can't be sure it was the FWS, but coincidentally my montis are reencrusting dead skeleton and coloring up. I will be sure to post if they do happen to come back.
Just to follow up on this I did find a couple more Nudis in the tank with very little damage to the coral. I'm going ahead with potassium permanganate dips for the montis. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Unread 05/18/2014, 03:45 PM   #318
Moser
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaghornE View Post
Any chance you added a wrasse during this time?.
If not, MEN stand no chance against a silver belly or a banana wrasse.
All SPS tanks should have these…. but you might need the tank to be covered as they jump!.

Mo

Moser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2014, 04:23 AM   #319
StaghornE
Registered Member

No wrasse. Something definately stopped them but now I'm experiencing a mini bloom an one colony again. I just got the potassium permanganate in the mail. Does anyone have experience with dipping potassium permanganate? I would love to know how to proceed.

Unread 05/20/2014, 07:21 PM   #320
nrosdal
Registered Member

Hoping someone can id this. I have a monti confucia that has a large dead patch on it and this bug came off it when i dipped it. Any help is appreciated.

Unread 05/25/2014, 06:05 PM   #321
StaghornE
Registered Member

Yesterday I dosed my tank with Dr G's coral dip, because I noticed some redbugs a while back on allot of the Acros especially ones that were not coloring up as much as the others. I disconnected my cryptic filter and fuge and will continue to run them separate for the next 6 days in hopes to starve out any red bugs that made it in there. I dosed my 60 gallon cube with 60 ml and waited 4 hours. At that point even though I could not see a redbug in site and my shrimp and porcelain and strawberry crabs were still alive so I dosed 10 ml more and waited 3 more hours after which I did a 75% water change with water I had previously adjusted to my tanks parameters. And am running about a 1/4cup of rox carbon. Today there is not one red bug in site my corals have amazing PE shrimp and crabs ok exept for the few hermits and a snail I didn't remove ( all others were placed in sump).I think I lost allot of small brittle stars that were blooming on the system, and I'm sure I lost all pods but I am incredibly happy with the results. I was planning on doing a second treatment next Saturday. What are your guys thoughts? If I don't see them any more should I do the second treatment or just connect the sump back up?

Unread 05/26/2014, 06:50 AM   #322
flamron
Professional Stick Gluer

Something went wrong if you are losing snails and starfish...

60g cube - Ghost Overflow - ATI 8 bulb dimmable sunpower - Apex - MP10s - Synergy sump
flamron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2014, 04:11 AM   #323
StaghornE
Registered Member

The starfish must of been irritated but I see allot of legs popping out of there holes now. Corals all seem healthy, and still no sign of red bugs, I'm still considering the second treatment on Saturday, any thoughts?

Unread 05/27/2014, 05:20 AM   #324
flamron
Professional Stick Gluer

Three treatments are recommended.

60g cube - Ghost Overflow - ATI 8 bulb dimmable sunpower - Apex - MP10s - Synergy sump
flamron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2014, 06:10 PM   #325
StaghornE
Registered Member

Ok so I'm going to administer the second dose tommorow, even though I have not seen a single red bug since the last treatment. The corals all are doing well even though the main tank has been disconnected from the sump for a week.