Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/31/2016, 07:49 AM   #326
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanTheTerrible View Post
Wow! That turned out really nice. I wouldn't ever leave that room.

- Ivan

Thanks! Definitely the problem we're having, never leaving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrsReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2016, 05:36 PM   #327
MrsReefK
Registered Member

First time making homemade fish food = success.

Unread 01/01/2017, 07:14 AM   #328
OurCoralReef
In Memoriam

Whats the recipe and the fish how do they like it compared to other foods you used

OurCoralReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2017, 07:31 AM   #329
scubadan206
Registered Member

Yeah, looks kind of like the food I make.....

scubadan206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2017, 07:52 AM   #330
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Mr and Mrs Reef - 290g in wall build

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurCoralReef View Post
Whats the recipe and the fish how do they like it compared to other foods you used

We find out today how they like it. A little of everything thrown together.

6 oz of rods food original
6 oz of rods food for herbivores
Two packages of squid (don't remember the name brand/size)
1/2 pack Fresh clam meat
1 pack Oyster meat
1 pack Krill
Brine shrimp (the green infused, sorry, don't have the technical name)
1/2 cup of flakes
3 full sheets of nori chopped up.
1/3 of large bottle of reef chili
8 uncooked cocktail shrimp
1 full cyclo-peeze of the individual cubes

I think that's everything. I should have took better inventory. I just grabbed a bunch of frozen food from LFS, a few types of fresh fish from the local market (peeled and removed tails from shrimp). Only put shrimp, clam meat and oysters in the blender. Everything else I let it thaw a bit so it was able to be stirred being the food was already the right sizes.

The one thing I didn't do was add any additives like selcon. Wish I would have!! I'll keep you updated with the fishes response. Hoping it's a good one. The chunks we made are a bit more food than they get today, hoping it's not too much, we will see!

Unread 01/01/2017, 07:53 AM   #331
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadan206 View Post
Yeah, looks kind of like the food I make.....

HAH! Me too, my husband does the cooking

Unread 01/01/2017, 01:55 PM   #332
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Some updated shots. Moved most of SPS over to DT today. Last time we were lucky and only 2 weren't happy with where they were put. We'll see what happens this time! Have some bland colors happening, time to hammer down and get chemistry right. Had some awesome colors before, now are washed out. We'll get there!

Unread 01/01/2017, 05:51 PM   #333
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Here's what takes up some of our time away from the tank. You've met them previously in this thread, but this pic is too damn cute to not share! Meet daisy, Buster and Zoey.

Unread 01/01/2017, 10:18 PM   #334
TheAquatect
I Could Stop If I Wanted

Beautiful setup, cant wait to see it mature. I love the school of fish decorating the top of the tank, great idea!

Filtration: NYOS Quantum 220
TheAquatect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2017, 09:52 PM   #335
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAquatect View Post
Beautiful setup, cant wait to see it mature. I love the school of fish decorating the top of the tank, great idea!

Thanks!! I can't wait for it to mature as well. We will have the ca reactor up and going in the next couple of weeks, looking forward to it!

Unread 01/03/2017, 03:31 AM   #336
scubadan206
Registered Member

I think you'll find that some foods especially flake will dissolve when frozen and thawed. Then they just become waste.

scubadan206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2017, 05:41 AM   #337
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadan206 View Post
I think you'll find that some foods especially flake will dissolve when frozen and thawed. Then they just become waste.

Yes, that's the only thing we added that I thought may be a waste to add. Didn't add pellets due to this reason.

The fish reacted great to it! Zipping around more than normal getting every chunk. I think they are this faster than the lesser amount we used to give them of non homemade.

Unread 01/03/2017, 01:54 PM   #338
dave.m
Registered Member

I wonder if you were to add a gelling agent such as agar if it would help the food stay together better after thawing. Just a thought.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2017, 07:07 PM   #339
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
I wonder if you were to add a gelling agent such as agar if it would help the food stay together better after thawing. Just a thought.

Dave.M

Dave, interesting thought. Although I was happy with how it thawed out and broke up. Turned out nice!

Unread 01/03/2017, 11:30 PM   #340
dave.m
Registered Member

But how does it taste. You didn't say.

Dave.M

Unread 01/03/2017, 11:30 PM   #341
OurCoralReef
In Memoriam

Fishy hmmmm

OurCoralReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2017, 01:33 PM   #342
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
But how does it taste. You didn't say.

Dave.M

I'm a vegetarian, darn it that I couldn't taste test it for quality control. Hahaha!

Unread 01/04/2017, 01:53 PM   #343
dave.m
Registered Member

Viva Los Vegans!

Dave.M

Unread 01/05/2017, 06:09 PM   #344
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Remember the chaeto that was melting away to nothing? Literally had only a golf ball size left. Turned off the kessil grow light to reverse cycle the DT lights and bam! Fuge is chalked full of chaeto within a week. Thinning out half of it tomorrow. So glad it came back! String of pearls are coming back as well.

Rock flower nem is a tough guy, I'm sure I talked about it last year, we bought a used tank, not knowing the nem was included, went to bed, woke up the next AM to wash out the buckets we used to transport the corals in.... wouldn't you know it, shriveled up nem in 1/2 inch of water for well over 18 hours on a cold concrete floor in winter. Threw him in the tank, and waaaa laaaa. He survived! That little trooper split his stem this past week and now had a baby! It's growing quickly and colored up today. Pretty neat to see.

Unread 01/10/2017, 09:31 PM   #345
MrReefK
Registered Member

(Stace here) Panic mode on our end. Big storm has hit and we are out of power as of 7pm today, estimated time of restoration is 11 pm tomorrow. I have an extension cord ran to my car, thankfully it's powerful enough to run both MP60's, have them on 90% breaking the surface of the water. We have a very light bioload, so I hope this will be enough oxygen exchange.

Next issue is heat, house is gel thermal, so relies on electricity. Ambient temp in the fish room is around 67/68. I expect that to drop overnight with the wind that's gusting outside. I may unplug one powerhead and see if my car outlet can handle one PH and one heater. Issue is it's a small heater for our QT. Our heaters in our sump are 800 watts and no controller for them without the apex. (Note to send, add controllable large heaters to the shopping list).

Next issue, a big one I'm concerned about.... our DSB, how long is safe for it to be sitting stagnant? I have MP10s that I tried putting in there to break the surface water but the glass is too thick, they won't hold. What are you guys suggestions/experience here? What's most important with the DSB? Temp or gas exchange?

Go figure, our generator starts up, but then dies. Needs some major attn. We have been planning on installing a whole house generator this spring, doesn't help us now!

Advice please!

MrReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2017, 09:32 PM   #346
MrReefK
Registered Member

Another issue, my MP60's are staying in programmed mode, they're letting me override for my 10 minutes I have set within ecotech live, but then reverting back to their night schedule. I didn't think this would happen with internet down... any ideas how to manually override the program and just keep them on 90%?

Unread 01/10/2017, 10:06 PM   #347
MrReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrReefK View Post
Another issue, my MP60's are staying in programmed mode, they're letting me override for my 10 minutes I have set within ecotech live, but then reverting back to their night schedule. I didn't think this would happen with internet down... any ideas how to manually override the program and just keep them on 90%?

Oddly enough, only one is kicking back to programmed mode. The other is staying with what i manually put it at.

Suggestions on DSB? I think DT we are sitting ok!

Unread 01/11/2017, 06:33 AM   #348
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Any suggestions or insight on DSB and what the risks are there? What to watch for? What to do?

Unread 01/11/2017, 07:24 AM   #349
McPuff
Registered Member

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear you lost your power. I was really nervous about that too, being in Plymouth. Glad the wind died down at some point overnight! Do you have a USB (i.e., battery backup) or generator? If so, get those things going. If not, consider buying one of each. The USB is great for pumps but likely not enough for the heater, especially on larger tanks. But you could at least run your return and circulation pumps... and a small LED to keep the corals from respiring too much.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2017, 08:20 AM   #350
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Ugh, I'm sorry to hear you lost your power. I was really nervous about that too, being in Plymouth. Glad the wind died down at some point overnight! Do you have a USB (i.e., battery backup) or generator? If so, get those things going. If not, consider buying one of each. The USB is great for pumps but likely not enough for the heater, especially on larger tanks. But you could at least run your return and circulation pumps... and a small LED to keep the corals from respiring too much.

Thanks for the advice. We have a generator but it won't stay running, go figure. We have been shopping for a whole house generator, time to pull the trigger for one!

Power is back on as of 15 min ago! Power was out for 14.25 hours. Lowest tank temp was 72, kept both MP60s running for 11 of those hours breaking the surface of the water at 90%.

We will see if the DSB has ill effects of sitting stagnant. Good thing is, temp in the fuge only got down to 74. There's a good 300 lbs of LR in there that I'm sure we're holding heat. I'm assuming I'll know immediately if DSB released toxins.

If I lost anything, it'd be frags in the frag tank. It's the smallest body of water, but I'm ok if that's my only casualties. Thankfully got all of the SPS out week before last. So primarily softies that I planned on taking to LFS anyways.

All in all, in ready for some sleep, what a restless night of worry.

That's two times in two weeks the power has went out for greater than 4 hours. I'm off to research the whole house generators!

Side note, house was 54* when power came back on. Glad to see the tank held temp so well during this!