Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/27/2018, 09:48 AM   #1
water is wet
Registered Member

Trouble with tunze 5017

I have two that have been on a shelf for about two years and now I can't get either of them to stay powered on. I can get one of them to work if I hold the part of the power supply that plugs into the controller at just the right position and the other worked for a couple of days once I found that sweet spot but no longer does so. I don't see any corrosion or anything odd I even took the back off of one of them and everything appeared fine.

water is wet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2018, 10:51 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Check the inner positive contact on the power supplies, this tends to corrode quickly if they get wet while plugged in and is the most common cause, if so, a new power supply is what you need.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2018, 02:12 PM   #3
water is wet
Registered Member

I took a look at them and one of the power supplies looks like it may have a bit of corrosion but the other does not appear to and the controller does the same thing regardless of the power supply being used. Do you have an email address that I could send a short video to so you can see what's happening? I don't really want to order a power supply if I actually need a new controller.

Thanks

Last edited by water is wet; 06/27/2018 at 02:51 PM.
Unread 06/27/2018, 02:25 PM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

The most useful would be clear photos of the plug ends, if that inner tip is not shiny nickel plate, this is surely a culprit, it is possible the female end is corroded and without knowing the age I don't know which version of socket you have, but they can generally be cleaned and adjusted and a replacement controller is not likely needed unless they are very old units.

Tunze at sbcglobal dot net

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 06/27/2018, 04:18 PM   #5
water is wet
Registered Member

It would seem that sliding the board down as you suggested did the trick although for some reason I did have to trim a little around the opening to keep it from happening after it was all put back together. You Rock!

Thanks!!!

Unread 06/28/2018, 08:14 AM   #6
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Great news, thank you!