Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/03/2011, 09:36 AM   #1
Finland
Registered Member

Radiums

I am going to be swapping lights and have read that radiums work best with hqi ballasts. I have ARO electronic ballast which would work fine for them, but wondering if there is another SE 20k bulb that would be better suited for my ballast. It will be over an sps dominated tank. Currently I am using 12k reeflux, but want to go a little bluer. Thanks for any input.

Current Tank Info: 280 reef
Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2011, 07:25 PM   #2
grigsy
Registered Member

I have used that ARO ballast. It's not bad. One of the few MH Electronic ballasts that I found reliable.

The 20K bulbs I used that worked good with the ARO ballast - XM 20K and Hamilton 20K. Both gave a nice look to the tank. Great color. Lots of pop.

You can though still use the Radium bulbs with the ARO ballast. That ballast will light them just fine.

grigsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2011, 07:35 PM   #3
Finland
Registered Member

Thanks for the response. I have been doing alot of research, and from what I have read, and comparison charts I have found, the radiums would light up, but have a lower par with aro balasts. HQI ballast would be the way to go with radiums. XM, hamilton and ushio were the best choices I have found. Anyone else with ARO ballasts and 20k SE bulbs?

Current Tank Info: 280 reef
Finland is offline   Reply With Quote