Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/01/2017, 02:20 PM   #1
SoloChromis
Registered Member

Alleni Damsel School?

I'm looking to add a small, hardy, affordable (<$10) fish that can be kept in multiples. I understand most species marketed as "schooling fish" won't actually school in the average home tank, like chromis, but I'm just wanting a group that will tolerate each other longterm. Allen's damsels (P. alleni) seem to fit the bill, and I'd be wanting to keep anywhere from 4-7 of them in a 6' 125g. Whats everyone think?

Current Tank Info: 60g Caribbean-esque Reef (2'x2'x2'), 10g Quarantine
SoloChromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2017, 07:41 PM   #2
suta4242
Registered Member

I've been thinking of getting some of these for the past year. Seem very mild mannered for a damsel IMO. My LFS even has several in a 2 ft cube, but that's only been for a couple of months.

Some things to consider: They interact a bit like chromis but don't shoal as such; their cube is bare bottom which is handy as the damsels like to dig. They had one or two in a nano previously and each had dug out a cave. Colouration varies according to dominance I think, obviously the most vibrant individuals are stunning. Don't think they've lost any from the original six or so that went in, either.

Hope that helps.

suta4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2017, 09:01 AM   #3
Moort82
Registered Member

I have a group of five, 2 pairs and a spare by the looks of things. They lose group but tend to hang out mainly in the same ends (1 pair each end) with the single flitting between the territories. Both pairs are breeding so it could be why they separate more.
I'd highly recommend them. They squabble a bit amongst themselves but do no real damage. My sand bed does have dunes the Sahara would be proud of but it keeps it oxygenated. If I was doing a larger tank I'd definetly have a large group of these. Someone on a UK Forum has roughly 50 and they look amazing.

Moort82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2017, 10:31 AM   #4
eastlake
Registered Member

I presently have a male and female pair, started out with 4 and the dominant male killed all but the one. He now spends his days keeping a large pair of clam shells free of sand so that they remain caves and tending to the eggs that the female lays in there almost daily. My aquarium in a 150 gallon, the same footprint as yours just taller. So if you get a larger number of them I would be prepared for the school to be the focal point or add them last as I added mine first and they were less than welcoming to their new tank mates.

eastlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2017, 10:31 PM   #5
lionfish300
Registered Member

I had 10 in my 40 gallons QT and only one made to the DT. One by one die on me and don't know the reason. I am planning to get more. LA is always out whenever I am ready to purchase . They have them available when I have other fish in QT

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alleni damsel, damselfish, damsels, schooling fish