Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/14/2015, 03:44 PM   #1
Woodcock1995
Registered Member

Help solving overflow problems

Ive built myself my own sump and hang on PVC overflow. The pipe used was 40mm diameter pvc. I managed to eliminate the initial gurgling sound that was happening, however now i am experiencing what sounds like a trickling sound down the back of the overflow. I have identified it is coming from the piece which runs vertical to the back of the tank on the outside. Is there a way of eliminating this trickling noise?

i read online that adding a ball valve part way down would allow the water to build up and flow smoother instead of it trickling through. is this true?

thanks for any help

Woodcock1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2015, 04:24 PM   #2
thegrun
Registered Member

A picture of your plumbing would help. Yes adding a gate valve and backing up the water in the primary drain will eliminate the noise but you should only do this if you have at least two drain lines, a primary and an emergency or you risk a flood.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2015, 05:24 PM   #3
CStrickland
Registered Member

Does your overflow drain include a vertical pipe?
If so I'd fix it to have enough slope that trapped air can float up and out (less noise) and crud that gets pulled in will sink down and out (no clogs, lost snails). Plus just to have better drainage, the line needs enough slope. There's a rule of thumb I don't know, but I'm sure a search of the diy forum would find it quickly.

Current Tank Info: 3/2016 upgrade to 120g. Chalk bass, melanurus, firefish, starry blenny, canary blenny, lyretail anthias, engineer gobys, kole tang. Softies / LPS / NPS. <3 noob4life <3
CStrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2015, 10:54 PM   #4
Luke Schnabel
Registered Member

You don't want to add a gate valve if it's your only line flowing from your tank. If you can have two overflows, make one about 3"-4" lower then the water line in your overflow, put a gate valve on that. The other overflow is called an emergency overflow. 95% of the water will go into your fist overflow with the gate. It's called "the herbie method" I had to redo all my plumping due to noise and bubbles. Installed a herbie overflow and solved all my problems.

In wall 125 gallon display and 48g frag tank w/ 75gallon sump Apex Controlled, 2xMP40, 1 MP10, Ecotech M1 return, reef octopus x5000, 4x Ecotech Radion G2 with T5 supplament(Display), 2x AI Hydras (fr
Luke Schnabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2015, 08:50 AM   #5
gone fishin
Registered Member

If this is one of those you tube pvc overflows without an overflow box I would personally reconsider using it. They are pretty unreliable IMO. Just my 2 cents worth.

Current Tank Info: 180gal DT, BM NAC77 skimmer,3 Maxspect razors, Maxspect Gyre 150, 30g QT
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2015, 08:55 AM   #6
JammyBirch
Aquaria Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrun View Post
A picture of your plumbing would help. Yes adding a gate valve and backing up the water in the primary drain will eliminate the noise but you should only do this if you have at least two drain lines, a primary and an emergency or you risk a flood.
This is exactly right, you need to restrict the drain with a ball valve or gate valve, to fill the entire pipe with water and still allow it to drain. An emergency drain is recommended but not the end of the world if to designed your sump correctly.

Current Tank Info: 25 gallon cube
JammyBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2015, 11:26 AM   #7
ericarenee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone fishin View Post
if this is one of those you tube pvc overflows without an overflow box i would personally reconsider using it. They are pretty unreliable imo. Just my 2 cents worth.
This...

Plus if its what i think you have they provide no Surface skimming

Current Tank Info: 240= gal Reef /550 Gallon Saltwater pond 72 G Bay front Tropical aquarium
ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overflow