Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/09/2012, 10:15 PM   #1
LIFishGuy
Registered Member

All in One Vs Separate tank/refugium

Hi all,

I had a 29 gallon bio cube that was setup and ran great for a few years. Then I moved, and it got damaged! I've been out of the hobby for a few years and want back in.

The better all in one systems oceanic, red sea max, etc all seem pretty expensive. I remember when I had the biocube I wound up doing all mods to it for the refugium, putting a fish guard on, led lights on the back, etc.

Should I just get a separate 30-40 gallon tank and put a refugium underneath? Maybe keep the heater and skimmer down there? Would it be cheaper than an all in one? It seems like supplies/parts became more expensive since a few years ago.

If I forget about the all in one I can use any equipment I want versus being stuck with whatever fits in the back chambers of an all in one...What do you guys think? I feel like a newb again but thats okay.

I guess in a nut shell I'm looking for the pros/cons of either way. Now that I have to buy something new I'd rather explore both options more closely. Last time, I just jumped into the biocube (which I don't regret, but am always open to doing things better).

LIFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2012, 10:31 PM   #2
IridescentLily
Editor-Reefkeeping mag

If you have prior experience having a tank which was an aio, and you're comparing similar gallons, then maybe go for a regular tank with a sump underneath. That way you'll have more control over your filtration equipment. And you'll have your choice of tank size.
I've had both and i truly can't say one is better than the other.
I think new reefkeepers, who are new to keeping things alive and running, would find it easier with an aio rather than the customizations involved with drilling, installing pvc piping, flow rates, etc on a regular tank.

Unread 05/09/2012, 10:33 PM   #3
Chaotic Reefer4u
♥Acropora Aficionado♥

Hello LIFishGuy, in my opinion if your a diy type of guy i would do it with the tanks being seperate instead of an all in one because your options are wide open then that way you can have it your way. As im reading what you posted i think you'll have more fun with it and your options will be wide open, hope this helps...Oh, and before i forget
To Reef Central

Current Tank Info: * 90g. Reef Ready TruVu tank with 30g. Platinum Filtration Series Sump SpS Acro enthusiast *
Chaotic Reefer4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2012, 10:37 PM   #4
LIFishGuy
Registered Member

I do enjoy DIY stuff but....drilling my tanks makes me nervous. I guess I will have to look into that. If I do the sump I guess you would have to drill, otherwise I would have pipes running behind and around my tanks right?

When I had the AIO I did hate being stuck to only specific items because of size or design constraints.

Unread 05/10/2012, 06:52 AM   #5
sponger0
Registered Member

If your contiplating all these things, I had say consider doing a bigger tank. Give yourself some more real estate for corals and fish.

I had a biocube 29 and loved it....but I love my 40 breeder more lol

sponger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2012, 08:40 AM   #6
nine8taco
Registered Member

I'd have to say go with separate stuff that's what i have and started with and I can't imagine being constrained to certain things

nine8taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2012, 08:44 AM   #7
Palting
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIFishGuy View Post
I do enjoy DIY stuff but....drilling my tanks makes me nervous. I guess I will have to look into that. If I do the sump I guess you would have to drill, otherwise I would have pipes running behind and around my tanks right?

When I had the AIO I did hate being stuck to only specific items because of size or design constraints.
Most people who drill their tanks drill the back wall, so there will still be pipes in the back. The bigger tanks usually come with tempered glass bottoms and cannot be drilled there. You can always go with pre-drilled or the so-called reef-ready tanks, which come with overflows and Durso type drains and are bottom drilled.

The nice thing about AIO tanks is everything is there from the get go. The bad thing is that's all you get, quite difficult to modify or add. I would suggest a DIY tank instead, either predrilled or drill one yourself. The good thing with this is that you can upgrade as your skills and requirments, as well as budgets, mature. If you want to go far with reef, a sump is almost obligatory, and should be there at the start if you are going this route.

Current Tank Info: Incept 3/2010, 150 RR, 50g sump, 20g fuge, 150w 15K MH x3, T5 actinics x8, moonlight LED x6, 1400gph return, Koralia 1400 x4, 300 g skimmer, 4 tangs, 2 mandarins, 2 perc, 6 line, 3 cardinals, 2 firefish, SPS, LPS, zoas, palys, shrooms, clam
Palting is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2012, 09:58 AM   #8
LIFishGuy
Registered Member

Okay...I think this time I will be using a separate tank and sump. Overall, it will give me the most flexibility in terms of my current plans and future. A 40 gallon breeder will probably be the size I go for...maybe a 50 gallon, but no larger.

I appreciate everyone's help btw I want to more thought into this setup than my last. I really didn't have any regrets with my biocube other than maybe wanting something a bit larger, and not being able to use certain equipment.

Are there any board sponsors that sell pre drilled tanks?

Unread 05/10/2012, 10:06 AM   #9
sponger0
Registered Member

40 breeders are nice. I have one. Or I think a 65 which has the same foot print too.

Unread 05/10/2012, 10:58 AM   #10
LIFishGuy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palting View Post
Most people who drill their tanks drill the back wall, so there will still be pipes in the back. The bigger tanks usually come with tempered glass bottoms and cannot be drilled there. You can always go with pre-drilled or the so-called reef-ready tanks, which come with overflows and Durso type drains and are bottom drilled.

The nice thing about AIO tanks is everything is there from the get go. The bad thing is that's all you get, quite difficult to modify or add. I would suggest a DIY tank instead, either predrilled or drill one yourself. The good thing with this is that you can upgrade as your skills and requirments, as well as budgets, mature. If you want to go far with reef, a sump is almost obligatory, and should be there at the start if you are going this route.

Let me pick your brain again, if you don't mind. Would you drill your own tank, or do you think a pre-drilled can be just as good? Any good manufacturers of pre-drilled tanks that you would recommend?

Thanks

Unread 05/10/2012, 11:05 AM   #11
sponger0
Registered Member

I had my local saltwater coral store do it. He did it perfect. If youre not comfortable doing it, check with your LFS. They usually do quite a few.

Or if your really worried about it, then just get predrilled.

Unread 05/10/2012, 11:08 AM   #12
LIFishGuy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger0 View Post
I had my local saltwater coral store do it. He did it perfect. If youre not comfortable doing it, check with your LFS. They usually do quite a few.

Or if your really worried about it, then just get predrilled.
Thanks sponger! I guess it's onto Melev's Reefs for sump plans and ideas for plumbing.

Then I will probably be back in here with more questions. I'm making sure this take comes out nearly perfect (if that's possible).

Unread 05/10/2012, 12:05 PM   #13
sponger0
Registered Member

Planning is very important so do as much research as you can to make the perfect tank for you. You can check out my thread if you want ideas for your next tank

Unread 05/10/2012, 01:08 PM   #14
Palting
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIFishGuy View Post
Let me pick your brain again, if you don't mind. Would you drill your own tank, or do you think a pre-drilled can be just as good? Any good manufacturers of pre-drilled tanks that you would recommend?

Thanks
I have drilled my refugium tank myself, and it was so easy. But I would go pre-drilled for the DT personally, since there are so many other things that need to be done and I'm a little lazy. LOL!! Pre-drilled is plenty good, and you can get them at most larger LFS, or even on-line. The most common name brands that have been here forever are Perfecto/Marineland and AllGlass/Aqueon. One sponsor that sells pre-dilled Marineland tanks and ships (free depending on purchase cost) is FosterandSmithAquatics. That's where I got almost my whole total initial set-up. You can get AGA predrilled tanks from PETCO, shipped to your nearest store to save shipping costs.

Planning is a large part of the fun!

Current Tank Info: Incept 3/2010, 150 RR, 50g sump, 20g fuge, 150w 15K MH x3, T5 actinics x8, moonlight LED x6, 1400gph return, Koralia 1400 x4, 300 g skimmer, 4 tangs, 2 mandarins, 2 perc, 6 line, 3 cardinals, 2 firefish, SPS, LPS, zoas, palys, shrooms, clam
Palting is offline   Reply With Quote