Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/16/2019, 12:41 PM   #1
mangelo
Registered Member

165 gal, 72" width - Need lighting suggestions

I have tried a number of lighting setups, but can't get it right. The usual issue is not enough light. I mainly try 2 x 36" LEDs, but they don't sit right and never put out enough light. This is for a FOWLR.

Any suggestions?

mangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2019, 12:53 PM   #2
PYRU
Registered Member

I run viparspec 165w.

PYRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2019, 12:58 PM   #3
mangelo
Registered Member

According to the coverage, I'd need 3 of them?

Unread 07/16/2019, 01:02 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangelo View Post
I have tried a number of lighting setups, but can't get it right. The usual issue is not enough light. I mainly try 2 x 36" LEDs, but they don't sit right and never put out enough light. This is for a FOWLR.

Any suggestions?
Well.. Fish don't need light.... so you will need to find a way to convey to us a quantity of light that you personally want..

That may be by listing a minimum wattage or by at least letting us know specific fixtures that you have tried in the past and we can try to deduce the amount of light you want based off that..

You should also let us know if you need fixtures that hang or those that have specific mounting legs to allow them to fit on the tank and if do did that happen because your tank has a center brace that you used or if you fabricated something to hold the center legs or what..

Or just go all out and as stated get something like 2 of the 165W black box LEDs on Amazon/Ebay (Viparspectra/Mars Aqua,etc...) or one of the 300W varieties.. I would argue that both of those if run anywhere near full power are way more light than a FOWLR tank would need but luckily those are fully adjustable (and you certainly wouldn't need 3). My 72" 120G saltwater tank grew corals like crazy with only 2 of them and the amount of shadowing (dimmer areas by the edge) was very..very minimal (not really noticeable)..
There really isn't much in between.. Its either the low power .5W LED fixtures like you have likely been trying or 165W/300W fixtures..

Those black box LEDs 165W/300W are typically fixtures intended to be hung from the ceiling or require you to fab up a mount..

Unread 07/16/2019, 01:06 PM   #5
mangelo
Registered Member

I've tried the flat LED systems that I lay on top. My tank just looks dark and not very appealing as is it now.

2 of the 165w would cover a 72" tank? I guess I could hang them from the ceiling, but not crazy about that idea.

Unread 07/16/2019, 01:55 PM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

If you are somewhat "handy" you can easily whip up some mounts to avoid handing..

I just used some aluminum angle to create some simple mounts to go across the tank (sorry I don't have pics anymore I don't think)..
But it was just 2 angle pieces across the whole length and then 2 pieces horizontally for each light to create a "pocket" that each light sat into.. Aluminum pop rivets held it all together.. Quite simple..

Unread 07/16/2019, 02:07 PM   #7
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Well.. Fish don't need light.... so you will need to find a way to convey to us a quantity of light that you personally want..

That may be by listing a minimum wattage or by at least letting us know specific fixtures that you have tried in the past and we can try to deduce the amount of light you want based off that..

You should also let us know if you need fixtures that hang or those that have specific mounting legs to allow them to fit on the tank and if do did that happen because your tank has a center brace that you used or if you fabricated something to hold the center legs or what..

Or just go all out and as stated get something like 2 of the 165W black box LEDs on Amazon/Ebay (Viparspectra/Mars Aqua,etc...) or one of the 300W varieties.. I would argue that both of those if run anywhere near full power are way more light than a FOWLR tank would need but luckily those are fully adjustable (and you certainly wouldn't need 3). My 72" 120G saltwater tank grew corals like crazy with only 2 of them and the amount of shadowing (dimmer areas by the edge) was very..very minimal (not really noticeable)..
There really isn't much in between.. Its either the low power .5W LED fixtures like you have likely been trying or 165W/300W fixtures..

Those black box LEDs 165W/300W are typically fixtures intended to be hung from the ceiling or require you to fab up a mount..
Hey Mac, were you able to grow sps with the cbbs...? If so what are your settings

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2019, 03:12 PM   #8
oreo57
Registered Member

Quote:
I've tried the flat LED systems that I lay on top. My tank just looks dark and not very appealing as is it now.

2 of the 165w would cover a 72" tank? I guess I could hang them from the ceiling, but not crazy about that idea.
Try anything like these?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beamswork-D...item5fcaa4ec03

Personally I'd suggest 2 but??
Note they have a tendency in 72" to bow in the middle a bit..not sure if they "fixed" this or not but it's only look.
72" DA 180 176x - 8000 lumen 144x 10000K, 32x Actinic

There are "add ons" to color it up a bit..
like one of the above and one of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beamswork-D...item8992669ee0

Of course total is like $130
About THE cheapest efficient option I can think of
2 are only 10.5" wide..

2 Chinese "black boxes" are about the same price but using 1 to cover 36" is asking a lot, even with the lenses removed.. and of course you need to hang them
Hang them high enough to cover left to right and you'll get a lot of spill out of the tank front/back..

Color Taste is very subjective so I can't make that decision.
Beamsworks are fairly ignored in the reefing world but effective in the fw one for usable economic lighting
Https://youtu.be/GW4fhrKZiLI

IF you are going "deep blue" than this isn't for you..
Look to some Orphek strip lights.

Last edited by oreo57; 07/16/2019 at 03:23 PM.
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2019, 07:33 PM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyrawg View Post
Hey Mac, were you able to grow sps with the cbbs...? If so what are your settings

Sure up near the top..I likely had them at like 50%white/75% blue or something like that..

10" off the water and 2 was just fine coverage..

Unread 07/16/2019, 09:26 PM   #10
PYRU
Registered Member

Quote:

I don't know your setup but you could run something off the back of the tank or off the wall then hang then from that

Not my tank but this was a pic I saved to help me decide if I need 2 or 3.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_86.jpg (49.3 KB, 20 views)
Unread 07/16/2019, 09:42 PM   #11
PYRU
Registered Member

I think I dropped $210 on the 2 lights. They have timers and fully adjustable intensity. I think you'll like them and if you ever want some coral you'll already be setup

Unread 07/17/2019, 11:21 PM   #12
colorful1180
Registered Member

2 of 32" Pro Timer SB Reef Lights would be perfect.

colorful1180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2019, 04:47 AM   #13
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorful1180 View Post
2 of 32" Pro Timer SB Reef Lights would be perfect.
700+ watts of LED/$620+ for a fish only tank?

If they want corals then ok but for fish only thats crazy IMO..

Unread 07/23/2019, 04:52 PM   #14
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRU View Post
I don't know your setup but you could run something off the back of the tank or off the wall then hang then from that

Not my tank but this was a pic I saved to help me decide if I need 2 or 3.
I like the dimensions of your tank..how many gallons is it and where did you get it?

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lighting