Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/27/2012, 10:28 PM   #76
CyclistMT
More Idiot Than Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
Somehow I missed this thread until now and I haven't read it all yet, but I wanted to say - the tank looks amazing so far, and thanks for the O-MAZ-SHG!
Ha! I knew you'd make it over here eventually. You need to get out of the DIY forum more often.

Thank you for the kind words and the help along the way! I was constantly watching your tank come together before I started on mine.

Unread 03/27/2012, 10:42 PM   #77
CyclistMT
More Idiot Than Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgunn View Post
The crushed oysters you're using in the main area of your tank have a much nicer consistency than the stuff available where I am. Looks just like the crushed coral I've got sitting around.

Tyler
It is crushed coral that's being packaged for chicken calcium. I went to buy crushed oyster shell to make my rock and when I opened the bag I was pleasently surprised to find this. So, I decided to buy a bunch more for my substrate. How do I know it's crushed coral? Well, first off the bag states "Calcium Carbonate not less than 97%". Now I know that can take a couple of diffenent forms so I think this picture is a bit more telling.

Can you figure out which one is Carib Sea Crushed Coral and which one is Coastal Poultry Shell? The piles on the bottom are wet and the top ones are dry but the ones on the left are one kind and the ones on the right are the other. I'll give you the day to think it over before I reveal.

Unread 03/28/2012, 08:39 AM   #78
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclistMT View Post
Please tell me I'm not the only one who immediately thought of Optimus Prime's cab/chest when I saw this photo.

For reference:

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2012, 09:48 AM   #79
tgunn
Registered Member

Quote:
It is crushed coral that's being packaged for chicken calcium. I went to buy crushed oyster shell to make my rock and when I opened the bag I was pleasently surprised to find this. So, I decided to buy a bunch more for my substrate. How do I know it's crushed coral? Well, first off the bag states "Calcium Carbonate not less than 97%". Now I know that can take a couple of diffenent forms so I think this picture is a bit more telling.

Can you figure out which one is Carib Sea Crushed Coral and which one is Coastal Poultry Shell? The piles on the bottom are wet and the top ones are dry but the ones on the left are one kind and the ones on the right are the other. I'll give you the day to think it over before I reveal.

I'm going to wager the one on the left is the oyster shells, but honestly I can't really tell. The stuff I got locally was very flakey and had a lot of color variation. But we're pretty far from the ocean here

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
Please tell me I'm not the only one who immediately thought of Optimus Prime's cab/chest when I saw this photo.
HAhaha, TOTALLY. Poor CyclistMT isn't going to be able to look at his tank without seeing faces or optimus prime's chest now!

Tyler

tgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2012, 11:15 PM   #80
CyclistMT
More Idiot Than Savant

Quote:
I'm going to wager the one on the left is the oyster shells, but honestly I can't really tell.

Tyler
Well, you would have lost that bet.

And since tgunn and dwzm are determined to make a mockery of my tank, let's have a little fun with it.

Is this the Optimus Prime tank?

The Terminator tank?

Or the Castle GreySkull Tank?

Unread 03/29/2012, 01:53 PM   #81
tgunn
Registered Member

Quote:
Well, you would have lost that bet.

And since tgunn and dwzm are determined to make a mockery of my tank, let's have a little fun with it.
I only based my decision on the fact there were a few more "dark particles" in the left one, which I assumed were impurities. Lol.
Its always nice to find a product which is of the same type/quality as a "hobby product", but clearly at a much lower price.

For a while I was convinced the pulverized limestone dust in the limestone mix I'm using for my DIY rock was the same stuff the LFS sold as "aragonite". Inspection with a magnifier disproved that conspiracy though.

Lol, yeah the red totally made it terminator-like. Awesome!!
No mockery intended though. Your tank is looking great; I'm following along closely as your setup has lots of similarities to the one I'd like to get going.

Tyler

Unread 04/01/2012, 09:17 PM   #82
CyclistMT
More Idiot Than Savant

Ventilation

Somebody cut a hole in my house!!!!!

Oh right, that was me. That was just the rough hole before I cleaned it up. I didn't want to buy a new hole saw for this one time project so I got out my reciprocating saw and started to hack away. And here is the end result after clean up.

The heart of the system. I went with a Panasonic Whisperline 120 CFM. I decided to go ahead and vent just the tank space rather than the whole room.

And the brain. (Looks like I've got some paint touch up to do.)

This project really kicked my butt this weekend. As you can see from the pictures I didn't have a lot of space to work with so I was contorting every which way on a ladder to get this thing installed. I also had to run power to it which started with swapping out an outlet for GFCI (this outlet is outside the tank but close and low), added another outlet after the GFCI but in the furnace room (for convenience), put the dehumidistat inline, and finally ran the line to the fan. Somewhere in that mess a connection slipped during buttoning up the boxes so I had no joy when I flipped the breaker and tried to make the fan work. Had to diagnose (figured it was at the dehumidistat and I was right) and button everything up again.

I tell ya, it was one thing after another on this project. It saved me some bank to do the install myself but it took my whole weekend (when you consider other family stuff thrown in) and man am I gonna be sore on Monday.

At least it's one more item complete on this build. I'm really anxious to get this thing salt wet and since the wife and I went shopping for kitchen tile this weekend, my time is growing short before I have to tear into the kitchen. That's going to include not only 200 sq ft of ceramic tile but building a pantry from the ground up too. The tank is definitely going to take a back seat once that begins.

Well, I think it's time for me to ramble on since I'm starting to just....ramble on. That's it for now!

Current music selection: Megadeth- Symphony of Destruction

Unread 04/18/2012, 08:42 PM   #83
CyclistMT
More Idiot Than Savant

I should have called this thread the Glass and Plywood SYSTEM! Somehow I've managed to make every tank for this build out of plywood. My surge tank is on the top, frag/sea grass tank in the middle (on its back), and the sump on the bottom.

Of course if you've been following this thread you know I had planned on a glass frag tank that I had laying around until I broke it trying to drill the holes. And although I've been delayed by building and epoxying yet another tank to replace the glass one, ultimately my system has been simplified because of it. At least that's my justification.

I did get a couple of goodies over the past few days that I thought you might like to see. They might help motivate me to get cracking as now I have everything I need to plumb the tank and get water flowing through it.

First up, the actuated valve for the surge tank. I was lucky enough to find a company that has experience with building surges with actuated valves so I was able to purchase a plug and play system. This has saved me from learning about and how to wire a relay. Basically saved me a boat load of time and frustration. Besides, there is no way I could have made it turn out this nice.

It's built with a single switch to activate the open cycle and then the timer relay activates the close cycle. The timer is fully adjustable and I'll be able to adjust the inflow to the surge so I'll have plenty of control over how it operates. I'm really looking forward to seeing this thing in action.

I also received my system pumps. I got two of these bad boys (Water Blaster HY-10000). Only one will be on at a time though as I'm trying to simulate shifting tides using a gyre type flow in the tank. I'll probably have each pump alternate every six hours. Two pumps also gives me a measure of redundancy. Should one fail, at least I have one to keep the system running until repair/replacement is completed. These might be a bit oversized but they don't have a high head rating so I'll lose a bit of that flow just getting the water to the tank. I can always valve them back initially too and as they age, open the valve to keep a consistent flow rate.

Of course you can read all the specs you want but it just doesn't prepare you for the size of these things. Even a picture can't do it unless there is something else in it to reference.

I know this isn't much of an update but things are progressing. Still not as fast as I'd like though.....

Shhh! You hear that? I think my wife is trying to find me to start on that kitchen remodel. Don't tell her but I think I'll keep hiding down here in the basement for a while....

Unread 04/18/2012, 10:56 PM   #84
rpjaws74
Registered Member

haha progress its never fast enough!! but good progress indeed

Current Tank Info: 500 glln system/ Reef
rpjaws74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2012, 01:22 PM   #85
tgunn
Registered Member

Those pumps look interesting; its nice to see alternatives for flow pumps. I'll be interested to hear how they perform and the level of sound they generate.

The big 'ol Sequence 1000 pump I have from my old 140g tank moved a lot of water (5000GPH), but it used a lot of power (380w) and was not something I'd want under the tank (it was in the basement).

Also interested to see how the surges work. Does the controller close the surge before it sucks in air and causes a lot of bubbles?

Tyler

Unread 04/20/2012, 10:31 PM   #86
CyclistMT
More Idiot Than Savant

Quote:
Those pumps look interesting; its nice to see alternatives for flow pumps. I'll be interested to hear how they perform and the level of sound they generate.

The big 'ol Sequence 1000 pump I have from my old 140g tank moved a lot of water (5000GPH), but it used a lot of power (380w) and was not something I'd want under the tank (it was in the basement).

Also interested to see how the surges work. Does the controller close the surge before it sucks in air and causes a lot of bubbles?

Tyler
No doubt Tyler I sure hope those pumps are quiet too as that's a main requirement of my system. Not a lot of user reviews on the particular model I bought but others in that family seem to get good ratings on sound so I'm hopeful. I did a lot of research on pumps to determine which would give me the most flow for the least power draw and these were the ones that won out. 150W power draw for 2600 GPH isn't too shabby.

The surge valve realy timer has resolution down to 0.01 seconds so I should be able to easily dial it in to avoid any bubbles. That was the whole point of going with this type of set up (to avoid bubbles) so I better be able to do so.

Unread 04/22/2012, 08:29 AM   #87
muttley000
MTS Sufferer!

Nice update! I think our wives must talk, whenever I get time for one of my projects she has something that needs to be moved to the top of the list!

Current Tank Info: 475 multitank system is now running! Several hundred gallons of additions planned!
muttley000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2012, 10:07 AM   #88
d3hree
Registered Member

looking good. You're lucky in finding a co. to supply you with the plug n play surge controls. I still need to either do the same or figure out how to do the relay thing. Did they give you a reason for the time delay relay rather than two float switches?..is it a better option?

d3hree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2012, 01:42 AM   #89
CyclistMT
More Idiot Than Savant

Sorry for the late update everyone. It's been what, almost 2 months since the last update? Well, that about right for me.

I have been making progress and I will be posting a more comprehensive update soon but I've been held back by some little things (read big things) now that I have water in the system... Opps I did it again, reaveling too much before it was time. Yes, I did just quote Britney and I'm ashamed, very ashamed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3hree View Post
looking good. You're lucky in finding a co. to supply you with the plug n play surge controls. I still need to either do the same or figure out how to do the relay thing. Did they give you a reason for the time delay relay rather than two float switches?..is it a better option?
I think it's 6 of one, half a dozen of another. With only one float switch there are less mechanical items to cause issue but I know relays can go bad too so really I think it was just a preference of the vendor and I went with it. Who am I to question experience?

Here are a couple of shots to keep everyone satisfied until the next update comes. The sump is complete!

This section is for the skimmer but I'm questioning the need these days. We'll see how well the ATS works out.

And a shot of the pumps in the sump.

Be on the lookout for a more comprehensive update soon!

Current Music Selection: Tool - The Grudge

Unread 06/17/2012, 12:47 PM   #90
H20ENG
Pro builder/aquarist hack

Looking great Lance! Where did you source the rectangle socks? Those would have saved me a ton of space on a few projects!
Sadly, I have not had good luck with the BB 10,000 pumps on a large skimmer. Noisy, lots of vibration, and corroded/swelled magnets. Its on the third pump in 2 years That was the first gen, so hopefully your WBs fare better.

H20ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2012, 12:48 PM   #91
H20ENG

Tool !!

Unread 06/17/2012, 11:12 PM   #92
SERVO
Registered Member

H20ENG inspired me to use an actuated ball valve for a surge that I obsessed about but never set up. I am planning a 850 gallon tank and I can't wait to see what your surge set up does for you!

SERVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2012, 09:57 PM   #93
CyclistMT
More Idiot Than Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20ENG View Post
Looking great Lance! Where did you source the rectangle socks? Those would have saved me a ton of space on a few projects!
Sadly, I have not had good luck with the BB 10,000 pumps on a large skimmer. Noisy, lots of vibration, and corroded/swelled magnets. Its on the third pump in 2 years That was the first gen, so hopefully your WBs fare better.
I got the socks from Drsfostersmith.com. I hope these are the next gen pumps too as I did read some bad reports on earlier models. So far I think the flow is nice but I'm not impressed with the sound. Silent they are not. I'm hoping a slime coat on the impellors once salt water goes in helps to quiet them down but I'm not holding my breath. I know they're big pumps and can't expect them to be dead silent (Oh Silent Giant pumps, where did ye go?) but I'm quickly losing the battle on one of the main tenents of this system which is to be quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERVO View Post
H20ENG inspired me to use an actuated ball valve for a surge that I obsessed about but never set up. I am planning a 850 gallon tank and I can't wait to see what your surge set up does for you!
Listen to H2OENG on this. He is the man with a plan when it comes to acuated valve surge. You won't be disappointed if you go this route.

So far here is what I have learned about having surges on my tanks. Plan for about 10% of your tank volume for a decent surge. You can certainly go more wouldn't go with much less. Of course you need to plan for that excess to go somewhere so you'll need enough room in your sump to carry that excess. And a BIG overflow. My overflow is about 40 inches wide but I should have made it deeper (it's 6" deep). I'm running a BeanAnimal set up with 2" pipes. The surge is about 20 gals when it dumps it overwhelms the overflow and all three pipes are running full bore. Then they completely flush the overflow and make a bunch of noise. Still trying to see what I can do to tweak this but had I made the overflow bigger to handle more of the surge volume, I may not have had this problem.

For more force in the surge, place it higher. I'm about 32" from the top of the water in the surge tank when full to the exit in the middle of the tank. It's surges OK but I wish I could get a bit more force out of it. I simply couldn't go higher becuase of a pesky ceiling in the way though.

One thing I can tell you for certain though is that a bubbleless surge = an acutated valve. There is just no other way around it and you want a bubbleless surge. My previous tank used a modified Borneman design which had minimal bubbles. I still got salt creep up the wall on the other side of the four foot tank. Before I took that surge offline I was contemplately putting an acrylc shield on the wall to prevent the sheetrock from deteriorating. I know they're pricy but so is a Vortech and it's a unique kind of flow that you can't get from a pump.

Good luck with your build!

Unread 06/19/2012, 01:37 AM   #94
budisetiawan
Registered Member

incredible

budisetiawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2012, 02:15 PM   #95
SilverGTS
Registered Member

Insane so far. Subscribed.

-Chris

Current Tank Info: 50 gallon reef
SilverGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2012, 02:46 PM   #96
H20ENG

The actuated valves do give off a little hum, but usually are quieter than the pumps driving the surge.

Ceiling Schmeiling. Put that sucker in the attic! A buddy of mine put a 50g tank in the attic and insulated the heck out of it. We wired in 2 valves to the timer on opposing sides of the tank. One would fire for a few seconds, then close one side and open the other. It was awesome. Like you, he had a large plywood and glass tank with a BIG overflow.

Wait til you see what kcress is cooking up with a 6" butterfly valve

I would say that you can get similar flow patterns by programming a VFD and 3 phase pump. But that is way more $$. Cant wait to see some video Lance.

Last edited by H20ENG; 06/19/2012 at 02:52 PM.
Unread 06/19/2012, 09:09 PM   #97
CyclistMT
More Idiot Than Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGTS View Post
Insane so far. Subscribed.

-Chris
Wecome aboard Chris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20ENG View Post
The actuated valves do give off a little hum, but usually are quieter than the pumps driving the surge.

Ceiling Schmeiling. Put that sucker in the attic! A buddy of mine put a 50g tank in the attic and insulated the heck out of it. We wired in 2 valves to the timer on opposing sides of the tank. One would fire for a few seconds, then close one side and open the other. It was awesome. Like you, he had a large plywood and glass tank with a BIG overflow.

Wait til you see what kcress is cooking up with a 6" butterfly valve

I would say that you can get similar flow patterns by programming a VFD and 3 phase pump. But that is way more $$. Cant wait to see some video Lance.
Yeah, I get a little hum from the valve but I don't think I'll notice it once I enclose the stand. The Waterblasters are another story. I'm holding onto hope they will break in a quiet down a bit.

Well if I could have put the surge tank in the attic I would have run Solar Tubes to the tank but since that would mean going right through the middle of my wife's scrapbooking room well....like I said before, that dog ain't gonna hunt.

Mmmmmmmm.....VFD....... That would have kicked, but like you said, a bit too spendy for me. I am intrigued by the Waveline Variable Speed Pumps though. Just don't think they have a big enough one yet to replace what my surge can do.

kcress has some crazy ideas and is just insane (and skilled) enough to pull them off. I am not worthy.

Unread 06/20/2012, 12:36 PM   #98
d3hree
Registered Member

I havent installed my ABV yet. I can go pretty high as I am mounting the surge on the exterior of the house but the limiting factor is finding a pump that will feed it that high. Anyone know of a pump with over 5 metres head?

I had the controls made by a UK co. but they opted for two float switches for upper and lower controls. The floats slide up and down a pipe so are easily adjustable.

d3hree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2012, 09:46 AM   #99
thisisme
Registered Member

Subscribed

Current Tank Info: 90 gal display 40 gal sump
thisisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2012, 04:18 PM   #100
CyclistMT
More Idiot Than Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3hree View Post
I havent installed my ABV yet. I can go pretty high as I am mounting the surge on the exterior of the house but the limiting factor is finding a pump that will feed it that high. Anyone know of a pump with over 5 metres head?

I had the controls made by a UK co. but they opted for two float switches for upper and lower controls. The floats slide up and down a pipe so are easily adjustable.
Well, I don't think you need to go THAT high. 2 meters would probably be more than enough but if you do need a pump with significant head, Reeflo is probably the ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisme View Post
Subscribed
Welcome aboard!

I have some business travel next week so I won't be getting to that update before I leave. I'll get one going as soon as I can for everyone when I get back though. Laters!