Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/07/2013, 09:43 PM   #251
hypnoj
Registered Member

I just found 1 pound bags of NaNO3 on ebay for $7 shipped.

hypnoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2013, 06:14 AM   #252
biom
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmz View Post
Again nsw levels are around 0.2 for nitrate and .005 pmm for PO4 at the surface. I think it's still experimental and I'm just tweaking things a bit for now. I like to get just a tinge of pink viewed from the side of the salifert NO3 test.
That's my opinion too.

biom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2013, 07:41 AM   #253
hypnoj
Registered Member

started dosing nitrates using CaNO3. I poured 1 whole pound in a 600ml soda bottle filled with RO water. I was amazed at the solubility of this stuff. 1 whole pound (a full sandwich bag full of the powder) dissolved in it without reaching saturation (added in increments). The nitrates on my 80g sps tank have tested 0 using the Red Sea Pro nitrate test kit for months now. I started to dose 5 ml of the CaNO3 mix per day. I woke up after the 3rd day of adding the stuff to find my tank looking brown on the rocks/sand etc from bacteria. I tested my levels and everything was normal except my Ca had elevated 20 ppm and my nitrates now read > 4 ppm (4 is as high as my low NO3 test goes). No other real effects on my tank per se. I turned down my part 2 a tad and stopped dosing my CaNO3 per day. I'm going to test every other day to see how long it takes to come down. Clearly I need to dose in smaller amounts at this concentration. Perhaps 1 to 2 ml per day. My GFO/GAC reactor is still on. I might just take it offline this weekend.
Do you think there is any way I can add CaN03 to my part 2 dosing tank so that I don't have to manually dose from now on? Lend me your thoughts.

Unread 06/14/2013, 07:53 AM   #254
biom
Registered Member

Try to use nutrient calculators like this http://www.aquacalculator.com/acalc/Home-en.html
or this: http://calc.petalphile.com/en/

But you should try to rise nitrates slowly, not more by 0,2-0,5ppm per week IMO.

biom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2013, 03:12 PM   #255
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

I was surprised at how little it took to bump nitrates by .5ppm. I'm dosing only 4 grams once per week now of aspartate for 650 gallons . It's no highly soluble ;'needs to be in gallon of ro water overnight

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2013, 07:52 PM   #256
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

I found liquid nitrate under the brand name of NeoNitro by brightwellaquatics at my lfs for $10. The bottle is large, about 20oz, and is concentrated. Its easy to use and dosage info is right on the label.

Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express

Unread 06/17/2013, 05:55 PM   #257
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

All,

Someone in the UK has brought this research article entitled "High levels of dissolved inorganic nitrogen increase coral bleaching probability" to my attention.

Has anyone experienced coral bleaching shortly after dosing nitrates?

DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2013, 10:16 PM   #258
herring_fish
Crazy Designer

Yippee!

Final! After over 5 full years of running without export, I have algae growing! Since then I have had nothing but aeration from the dumping action and turbulence from power heads. Only this year have I needed to use a couple of jars of PlosGuard to bring the phosphates back down. It came down some and plateaued. I think that the rock was giving back phosphates that it was holding.

The thing is that I only dosed for a few days and then stopped. A few months later, I have the algae growing. Sorry but I don’t have any parameters to quote from the past because I didn’t have time to pay attention to a proper experiment so I discontinued the dosing without taking any readings.

I am including my current tests. As you can see, phosphates are high.
Early on, I was mostly feeding powdered food. For about the last year, I have been feeding my 130 gallon tank about 6 cubes, 25 ml of phyto paste and a couple pinches of flake food per day.

Unfortunately, I am going on vacation Wednesday and won’t be back for 12 days so I don’t want to dose anything more. I hope that it doesn’t stop growing. It is a dark green very long and thin strand type.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-06-17 23.07.24.jpg (42.9 KB, 76 views)
herring_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2013, 10:37 PM   #259
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Thanks for the article Discus. I have not seen any bleaching but I only dose a very small amount . The article really doesn't give specifics. I think the premise is plaesible though.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2013, 05:50 AM   #260
hypnoj
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herring_fish View Post
Yippee!

Final! After over 5 full years of running without export, I have algae growing! Since then I have had nothing but aeration from the dumping action and turbulence from power heads. Only this year have I needed to use a couple of jars of PlosGuard to bring the phosphates back down. It came down some and plateaued. I think that the rock was giving back phosphates that it was holding.

The thing is that I only dosed for a few days and then stopped. A few months later, I have the algae growing. Sorry but I don’t have any parameters to quote from the past because I didn’t have time to pay attention to a proper experiment so I discontinued the dosing without taking any readings.

I am including my current tests. As you can see, phosphates are high.
Early on, I was mostly feeding powdered food. For about the last year, I have been feeding my 130 gallon tank about 6 cubes, 25 ml of phyto paste and a couple pinches of flake food per day.

Unfortunately, I am going on vacation Wednesday and won’t be back for 12 days so I don’t want to dose anything more. I hope that it doesn’t stop growing. It is a dark green very long and thin strand type.
??

Unread 06/18/2013, 08:24 AM   #261
herring_fish
Crazy Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoj View Post
??
There is one important think that I left out of my post, for those that have missed some of my earlier ones.

Yippee!

Final! After over 5 full years of running without export, I have algae growing (*IN MY ALGAE SCRUBBER, not on my rock!*)! I hope that helps.

I have a classic dump bucket style Algal Turf Scrubber® (ATS)that I designed and built. It worked great for many years but then I added a 55 gallon sump full of coral rubble in the garage. It had a flow trough rate of about 2 gallons per day in an attempt to create a cryptic zone. I also dosed some vodka for a short time.

Within a couple of weeks or so, the coralline algae stopped growing on the rock and the ATS stopped growing algae.

The reason that I am posting this return to growth on this thread is because, it looks like my nitrate to phosphate (Redfield) ratio was way off and that is why the algae stopped growing.

With a little nitrate dosing, my ATS is limping back to health. I think that Aspartic acid will work best for my application. Hopefully, when I get back, I can properly manage a good regiment of dosing so that my scrubber can get back to full production and I can get back to exporting phosphate by harvesting algae instead of bacteria like many other people who are using something like vodka and a skimmer.

I want the bacteria to stay in the tank because I am trying to grow NPS corals so I don't use a skimmer. Dosing vodka is more tricky when you are not using a skimmer. I use much less.

I hope that fills in a few blanks for some without boring others.

herring_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2013, 08:57 AM   #262
hypnoj
Registered Member

lol.. That helps a lot I wanna come see your ATS sometime. I've been brewing with the idea of starting one and need input!
Jim

(I'm in Mt. Airy)

I also need to post a follow up here. After dosing 15ml of concentrated nitrates into my 80g cube (/head slap), my nitrates shot through the roof (after being 0 for 2 years). I stopped dosing daily and started dosing NOPOX 10ml per day for 2 days then tested again. My nitrates had dropped to 5 ppm. I dosed NOPOX 5ml on day 3. I noticed some bleaching of one of my Monti caps; I figure I'm doing things a little too quick. I'll will dose NOPOX 5ml today and then stop all together and just rely on my set amount of vinegar in my ATO to hold my bacteria numbers to where they're needed. I'll probably start dosing 1ml of NO3 per week to start. I will be shutting off my GFO reactor this week as well, and then I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed to see how it all pans out. Hoping to end up with fairly low nitrates, low phosphates, no algae, and do this with only dosing vinegar in my kalk ATO, along with NO3 once a week or so; no GFO needed

Last edited by hypnoj; 06/18/2013 at 09:07 AM.
Unread 06/18/2013, 09:00 AM   #263
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
All,

Someone in the UK has brought this research article entitled "High levels of dissolved inorganic nitrogen increase coral bleaching probability" to my attention.

Has anyone experienced coral bleaching shortly after dosing nitrates?
I have never experienced bleaching after dosing nitrates. I use a dosing pump to dose just enough daily to keep nitrates in balance in the 3-5ppm range. I also add plenty of food daily, which contains a good supply of PO4 to maintain 0.00 - 0.03ppm. I also dose carbon.

ReefKeeper64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2013, 04:41 PM   #264
the_real_brian
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefKeeper64 View Post
I found liquid nitrate under the brand name of NeoNitro by brightwellaquatics at my lfs for $10. The bottle is large, about 20oz, and is concentrated. Its easy to use and dosage info is right on the label.

Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express

I'm giving this a shot, thank you.

the_real_brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2013, 05:05 PM   #265
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_real_brian View Post
I'm giving this a shot, thank you.
Happy to help out.

Here is an update on the NeoNitro. 20oz lasted about 6 weeks in my case (150 gal), which isn't bad but it probably isn't as concentrated as I would have liked to have thought. I've since switched over to potassium nitrate powder. I dose this powder at a rate of one salifert spoonful added directly to the sump in dry form every other day. I also carbon dose and between the two adds, nitrates stay at around 2ppm and PO4 at around 0.04. My source for potassium nitrate is Spectracide Stump Remover Granules. Its found on the shelves at the big box stores and at just $8 for a pound of granules, it should last a long time. There are other posts on RC where folks have had long term success using potassium nitrate sourced as stump remover so I wanted to try it and I'm glad I did.

Unread 08/31/2013, 08:15 PM   #266
Prodigy
Moved On

Stop the true actual nonsense !!!

It is joke how most all of you just paraphrase or re do in your own word what others before you have already say many times over and take that as if you own that. As if you have discover something new for everyone hehe

TMZ is worst one around not just this topic too and is follow close by many others ones. So Tom you cut through all nonsense [big sir nobody] just to pretend you know what you are talking about with this issue of topic ? Wow sir you do us all great favor yet again. Ever thought maybe those before know way more info and expertise than you do -------- I have term for those who are people like you: SEARCH ENGINE SCIENTIST !!!

Many of those on here [you are the clear leader] but moderator do not a thing about them. At least some have true background with marine science knowledge. Let them speak for us. Help get nonsense out for them to keep going. No you just play pretend authority figure with your mouse and a keyboard. A true fake

And why reefkeeper64 you you just find out about this few weeks back now you are instant figure of recommending on this subject like were warned about ? ... What is that your joke . try to be people like TMZ ha ? This are what mess others up who seek answers and cause only problems making suggestions they don't really know nothing about !

This all over top of the ones before who seem to had true expert knowledge but go away after all you or get banned from it. I learn many great things from banned people and very small or bad from all the big shot keyboards --- It is true why topic like this go no place but stay on same level sense those real expert people are want to leave due to others that have no place even typing here against them. Others like this please GO AWAY OR SHUT IT !!! You cause just disservice and less to everybody here

Last edited by Prodigy; 08/31/2013 at 08:23 PM.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2013, 08:32 PM   #267
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy View Post
It is joke how most all of you just paraphrase or re do in your own word what others before you have already say many times over and take that as if you own that. As if you have discover something new for everyone hehe

TMZ is worst one around not just this topic too and is follow close by many others ones. So Tom you cut through all nonsense [big sir nobody] just to pretend you know what you are talking about with this issue of topic ? Wow sir you do us all great favor yet again. Ever thought maybe those before know way more info and expertise than you do -------- I have term for those who are people like you: SEARCH ENGINE SCIENTIST !!!

Many of those on here [you are the clear leader] but moderator do not a thing about them. At least some have true background with marine science knowledge. Let them speak for us. Help get nonsense out for them to keep going. No you just play pretend authority figure with your mouse and a keyboard. A true fake

And why reefkeeper64 you you just find out about this few weeks back now you are instant figure of recommending on this subject like were warned about ? ... What is that your joke . try to be people like TMZ ha ? This are what mess others up who seek answers and cause only problems making suggestions they don't really know nothing about !

This all over top of the ones before who seem to had true expert knowledge but go away after all you or get banned from it. I learn many great things from banned people and very small or bad from all the big shot keyboards --- It is true why topic like this go no place but stay on same level sense those real expert people are want to leave due to others that have no place even typing here against them. Others like this please GO AWAY OR SHUT IT !!! You cause just disservice and less to everybody here
Wow, really? Take a ride on the other reef board express my friend

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2013, 09:22 AM   #268
pfoxgrover
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanook View Post
wow, really? Take a ride on the other reef board express my friend

+1

pfoxgrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2013, 09:33 AM   #269
lokii_37
Registered Member

Quote:
Happy to help out.
My source for potassium nitrate is Spectracide Stump Remover Granules. Its found on the shelves at the big box stores and at just $8 for a pound of granules, it should last a long time
I buy potassium nitrate from Aquariumfertilizer.com for my planted tank. $4.00 a pound. Pure KNO powder plus nothing else.

Unread 09/01/2013, 10:35 AM   #270
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokii_37 View Post
I buy potassium nitrate from Aquariumfertilizer.com for my planted tank. $4.00 a pound. Pure KNO powder plus nothing else.
Even better. Thanks!

Unread 09/01/2013, 12:53 PM   #271
reefmutt
Registered Member

Seriously, prodigy?.. That post demonstrates that you are worse than all the people you criticize..
People trying to help and share info..
I was going to go buy that neo intro but I think I'll look into stump remover for my po4 issues..
Although tumultuous, this thread had been extremely enlightening and very useful..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2013, 02:05 PM   #272
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Seriously, prodigy?.. That post demonstrates that you are worse than all the people you criticize..
People trying to help and share info..
I was going to go buy that neo intro but I think I'll look into stump remover for my po4 issues..
Although tumultuous, this thread had been extremely enlightening and very useful..
Good luck with your own nitrate dosing regimen. I've found it very effective for PO4 reduction myself but that is just my observation. A little goes a surprisingly long way so be sure to start with a salifert sized spoonful and measure NO3 the next day.

Fortunately I don't think we'll be hearing from Prodigy again. He was booted out of RC permanently by the Mods about 10 minutes after he made that rude post. You can tell because the text under his name promptly changed from "Registered user" to "Moved On". Thanks mods!

Unread 09/01/2013, 02:22 PM   #273
reefmutt
Registered Member

Well, good to know..
I'm using a dsb in compartments and have had 0 no3 since set up. I made the mistake of using some old and used live rock in my set up which I can only assume was loaded with po4..
I'm using what seems like a huge amount of gfo to control po4. atm.
I should be able to use that dsb to my advantage by dosing no3.
Thanks for the dosage suggestion, I will start out slow..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2013, 04:12 PM   #274
the_real_brian
Registered Member

Quote:
Happy to help out.

Here is an update on the NeoNitro. 20oz lasted about 6 weeks in my case (150 gal), which isn't bad but it probably isn't as concentrated as I would have liked to have thought. I've since switched over to potassium nitrate powder. I dose this powder at a rate of one salifert spoonful added directly to the sump in dry form every other day. I also carbon dose and between the two adds, nitrates stay at around 2ppm and PO4 at around 0.04. My source for potassium nitrate is Spectracide Stump Remover Granules. Its found on the shelves at the big box stores and at just $8 for a pound of granules, it should last a long time. There are other posts on RC where folks have had long term success using potassium nitrate sourced as stump remover so I wanted to try it and I'm glad I did.

I hate to say it, but the NeoNitro is going back to AquaCave.

I dosed about half the recommended dosage the first night, about 2.5 ppm worth and tested the next day, nothing. My tank gobbled it up. I also tested my phosphates with my Hanna low range checker and they had crept up a little bit from 0.13 to 0.17, odd.

Last night I gave it a full dose, 5ppm worth. I tested today and noticed just a twinge of pink on my Salifert Nitrate test. Whoot! Right? Wrong...

I tested my phosphates again and I knew immediately something was wrong when my sample turned blue as soon as I added the reagent. Sure enough my phosphates had doubled over night! 0.40!!!

I managed to keep my cool long enough to test the NeoNitro although I already knew what I was going to find. The first thing I noticed was 'stuff' floating in the sample. As soon as I added the reagent, it turned blue. Results? It - maxed - out - my - checker.

I'm stoopid, I know. I used a product from a company I'd never dealt with without testing it first. Never again. Brightwell Aquatics is at the top of my ****-list now, and forever more. I could've taken a leak in my tank and done less damage.

Blue...

Maxed the hell out....

The culprit...

I know others here have found clean sources of nitrate. I believe in this method and I want to give it another try. What do y'all recommend?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg brightwell garbage 001.jpg (42.4 KB, 443 views)
File Type: jpg brightwell garbage 002.jpg (23.7 KB, 445 views)

Last edited by the_real_brian; 09/11/2013 at 04:18 PM.
the_real_brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2013, 12:47 AM   #275
ormet
Just one more frag

I buy NaNo3 at the grocery store. Its used as a preservative for meats. Here it is commonly known as "Salpeter" also known as Sodium nitrate.

I add 40 grams to ½ a litre water. 1ml of this solution then raise No3 0.5ppm per 100 litres tank water.

So this i recommend!

Current Tank Info: 225 litres SPS
ormet is offline   Reply With Quote