Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/17/2019, 05:43 AM   #1
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

Flame Hawkfish with Clownfish Pair

Just curious if anyone has had problems keeping a flame hawkfish with a clownfish pair? I recently added a flame hawkfish and he has been pestering my percula clownfish pair. The clownfish do lay eggs and I am wondering if the hawkfish is interested in the eggs.

The clownfish live in a large frogspawn and the hawkfish decided to take up residence in a large montipora digitata that is right next to the frogspawn. So I ended up moving the frogspawn to the other end of the tank and the clownfish followed and this for now seems to have solved the problem, but who knows.

Tank details...

100G
4 ft
Started in early 2016
Primarily SPS with some LPS
Other fish:
-Kole Tang
-One Spot Foxface
-Small Possum Wrasse

Thanks for replies!

Unread 01/17/2019, 07:18 AM   #2
locktite
Registered Member

Flamehawk and clowns

A few months ago I added a flamehawk to my RS E-170. At the time the tank contained
a pair of Percula Clownfish that had been living in a Hammer Coral for the previous 2 years.
The Flamehawk seemed to delight in swimming as close as possible to the Hammer Coral only to be driven away by the female Clownfish. This went on for several days and finally they all settled into peaceful coexistence. To this day the Flamehawk will occasionally venture too close to the Hammer and be driven away by the female Clown but no harm seems to occur. It's actual a little amusing to watch the interaction between the two.

locktite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2019, 11:27 AM   #3
Fish559
Registered Member

I had those all together for years. No problem at all. I found my flame hawk to very passive and easy-going.

Fish559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2019, 12:52 PM   #4
crawlerman
Registered Member

I recently added a flame hawk in my 180 with a pair of clowns ( Black and White Ocellaris) that have been around for years. They really went after him for a few weeks every time he went to their territory. But the flame seems to have learned not to go to their nesting area.

crawlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2019, 06:14 PM   #5
dmsprague
Registered Member

I have one in a 150 gallon with a pair of gold stripe maroons and they all get along. My maroons are pretty calm. I think I am the only one they really go after

dmsprague is offline   Reply With Quote