Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/10/2018, 12:31 PM   #1
newbcube
Registered Member

Stocking help

So I'm still relatively new to saltwater tanks. I currently have a 75g display With a 20g sump. 75+lbs of rock, 80lbs of sand. I currently have a couple occy clowns, a pink spot goby, long spine urchin, green serpent star, and mixed snails and hermits. My wife wants a royal gramma and I have been wanting a flame Angel lately. I think the yellow, purple, and red will really add a lot of color to the tank. Currently no coral, but would like to get into the coral soon also.

So my questions are thoughts on the gramma and Angel in the tank,and other suggestions that would look good, and any suggestions for coral for a beginner other than mushrooms and zoas?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

newbcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2018, 01:01 PM   #2
Dsekula
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbcube View Post
So I'm still relatively new to saltwater tanks. I currently have a 75g display With a 20g sump. 75+lbs of rock, 80lbs of sand. I currently have a couple occy clowns, a pink spot goby, long spine urchin, green serpent star, and mixed snails and hermits. My wife wants a royal gramma and I have been wanting a flame Angel lately. I think the yellow, purple, and red will really add a lot of color to the tank. Currently no coral, but would like to get into the coral soon also.

So my questions are thoughts on the gramma and Angel in the tank,and other suggestions that would look good, and any suggestions for coral for a beginner other than mushrooms and zoas?

Thanks in advance!

I have a 45,25, and 15 display with 40ish sump. Have two occy clowns, pink spot goby, 2 purple firefish goby, lawnmower blendy, pistol shrimp, carpenter flasher wrasse (still in qt) and 3 pajama cardnals In the 45. I have various coral most lps, bubble nem, rock nems, and a baby Maxima clam..
I say this because you added two of my first fish first so maybe there's some similar taste.
If you go with coral most angeles are out, I recommend you read up but most are a 50/50 chance. Gramma should be ok with current tank mates and coral but o never had one
I had excellent luck with Euphyllia type corals as a beginner and rock nems for something out of the normal, pgo get shrooms and zoas . If your into nems at all maybe go this way if you want fish that may eat coral. their docile as nems go and I've yet to have one randomly move, they also have lots of color so maybe worth looking into. Here's a pic of a rock/flower nem and and purple firefish that might be in your color range.KIMG0508~2.jpgKIMG0500~2.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Dsekula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2018, 01:49 PM   #3
thegrun
Registered Member

The Royal Gramma will be fine. The Flame Angel is likely to nip at corals, some do not, others destroy any coral they can get to. Aggression can also be an issue with Flame Angels in smaller tanks as they mature (but not always). I recently had to remove one from my 120 gallon tank, it was harassing my Royal Gramma almost to the point of death.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2018, 02:01 PM   #4
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

Get the royal gramma first. I've had pretty good luck with those over the years, pretty hardy and good eaters. If introduced first it will find a hole to call home and hopefully the flame won't be too aggressive. Flames are hard to predict. I love mine though I had to return and open brain coral he wouldn't leave alone but doesn't mess with anything else.

I tell you a great softy I just got is a neon green kenya tree. All the softies are pretty hardy but this one looks great too. Candy Canes, frogspawn and hammers are good lps starters too once things settle down. Something else I just got that is really cool and almost looks like a coral is a rock flower anemone.

Check my homepage for tank pics and details.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon, 2x maxspect R420R LED, 4 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Flame Angel, Foxface Rabbitfish, Banggai Cardinals, Azure Damsel, rock flower anemone, cleaner shrimp, serpent star
Frogmanx82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2018, 11:13 PM   #5
newbcube
Registered Member

Awesome! Thank you for the replies! I will reconsider the flame Angel, maybe I can get the red I'm looking for in a wrasse. Also, I really like frogspawn and hammers, I'm glad to hear they are on the list of easier corals.

newbcube is offline   Reply With Quote