Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers > SPS Identification
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/12/2013, 05:18 PM   #1
fairladyZ
Registered Member

am i bleaching my monti? also a acro ID?

So i purchased a piece of montipora from a LFS and when i first purchased it and got it into the tank it looked like this..

after about 1 week i noticed it starting to look really pink so i moved it down and kind of tucked it under a rock, but after a week there it still hasn't changed much, the back corner has darkened up abit but not much and now it looks like this.

I'm still pretty new and especially to SPS so just wanting to make sure and get it somewhere good and back healthy.. It has grown abit since i got it to and i have read that they edges will turn white when growing but i'm not sure if this is bleaching or growing. It's currently under Radion Pro's that were at 70% intensity but i've backed it down to 60% and now a little more to 50%. Everything else in the tank is happy. I have a Hydnaphora that is extrememly happy and another little piece of acro that seems to be happy. Also curious if anyone is sure what kind of acro it is? I liked the looks of it so got it. Here's some pics of when i first got it and now.

when i first got it..

and now.. seems to have colored up more and has more purple in it now.

thanks for the help !

fairladyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2013, 07:56 PM   #2
fairladyZ
Registered Member

any help at all?

Unread 10/13/2013, 08:11 PM   #3
Rbs07fxstc
Registered Member

Looks to be bleached. Should start your corals in lower light, Especially with LEDs. Only takes a few days to bleach one out & it takes months too color up.

Rbs07fxstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2013, 08:30 PM   #4
fairladyZ
Registered Member

ya thats what i was fearing.. So would it be best to just keep it under a rock ledge like i have till the colors come back? It actually suprises me that it bleached out since the mother colony is from a tank with radion G2's, the LFS where i got it, it is also under radion G2's and has been for months, then under mine which i run at lower power it bleached out so fast. Strange things.

ty

Unread 10/14/2013, 04:36 AM   #5
Rbs07fxstc
Registered Member

I'm assuming that your parameters are spot on. But it doesn't take much difference with LEDs to burn coral. But leave it low & hopefully it will recover. My LEDs max out at 50% with whites for 3 hours.

Rbs07fxstc is offline   Reply With Quote