Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 12/06/2006, 07:45 AM   #1
JohnL
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...87#post8691187

Unread 12/06/2006, 07:46 AM   #2
bkiba
Premium Member

Ok is this a good mix of bulbs for the 36" aquactinics, in no particular order:
2x D&D aqua blue+
Pure actinic
aquaz ocean pro 20K
aquaz ocean pro 10K
I'll mix and match the order of these once I get the light.

sweet fancy moses another split!

-Robert Plant
Unread 12/06/2006, 07:48 AM   #3
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

I'd chuck a Aquaz sun pro in the mix, that may be the lamp they call the ocean pro 10K.

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
Unread 12/06/2006, 08:50 AM   #4
JonnyD91
Registered Member

i think my post may have gotten lost on the other link.

Grim any advice on this?

Ok it about time for some new bulbs. I have a 6 bulb tek light with 24 watt bulbs in it. I currently have as follows from front to back:
Blue+
blue+
blue+

I will buy my bulbs from reefgeek because thay have been good to me in the passed and I love the way they package their bulbs. I notice that they have 2 new bulbs since i first got my fixture a bout a year ago.

12000k aquablue special and super atinic

i was thinking of from front to back
blue+
blue+

What colors would the 12k give off and what colors would the super atinic give off maybye i can throw one of them in the mix.

With my current setup i am very happy with the growth in the tank. What would you guys recomend?

Unread 12/06/2006, 09:10 AM   #5
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

The 12's are really no differnt than the 11K's as far as looks, mostly white with a bluish tint.

Id try this

BP
UVL Super Actinic
ATI Aquablue
UVL Aquasun
ATI Aquablue
BP

Running the Aquasun in the mix will help bring out any red or yellow colors in your corals. The Super Actinic does a better job of fluorescing green colors than the Blue Plus.

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
Unread 12/06/2006, 09:37 AM   #6
JonnyD91
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
The 12's are really no differnt than the 11K's as far as looks, mostly white with a bluish tint.

Id try this

BP
UVL Super Actinic
ATI Aquablue
UVL Aquasun
ATI Aquablue
BP

Running the Aquasun in the mix will help bring out any red or yellow colors in your corals. The Super Actinic does a better job of fluorescing green colors than the Blue Plus.
which bulbs have a bluer color the 11k or the 12k?

Unread 12/06/2006, 10:33 AM   #7
rrodd89
Registered Member

would a 5500 k light be better for growth? i know 10k is better then say 20k but would 5500 be even better?

Current Tank Info: 55g
Unread 12/06/2006, 10:42 AM   #8
bkiba
Premium Member

Grim

That is what I meant to say. I said ocean pro 10K and really meant sun pro 10K. So the sun and ocean pros are enough white light, with the other 3 bulbs (2 blues and 1 actinic). Sounds good!

thanks!

-Robert Plant
Unread 12/06/2006, 11:59 AM   #9
Coraline2020
Registered Member

OK...I've been following along and trying to sort out my new lighting for a 120RR project I am starting, but alas, I'm still confused...I know that I want to go T5's (probably Tek light), but can't figure out if I NEED 8 bulb or if 6 bulb will suffice. Dimensions of new tank will be 4'x2'x2' with a deep sand bed. I would like to keep softies, LPS, and Crocea Clams (up in the rockwork). Never been a huge fan of SPS, so I doubt that is in my future.

Would you guys recommend 6 bulb or 8 bulb? (I haven't purchased lighting yet, so can do either.)

What bulb combination and in what order to give the appearance of 14K Halide? (Which is what I'm using now and like.)

Do I need (or want) to purchase the acrylic shield for light? (Will it improve, impead, or have no effect on light output?)

Thanks,
Liz

Unread 12/06/2006, 12:11 PM   #10
hahnmeister
Moved On

Id go 8. You can always shorten the daily exposure time, or leave 2 off, but you cant make up for being short 2 bulbs when you need it. I like 8 because it allows you to do better bulb mixing, esp if you like a more blue look (blue bulbs tend to have slightly lower outputs, so you can use an extra bulb or two to make up for it).
Considering most 120s that I know of that look 'sweet' use dual 250wattDE halides, and 4x54wattT5s for lighting (blue+ and actinic bulbs), thats about 716 watts... alot of it being 10,000K halides. 8x54watt bulbs is only 432 watts... now I know T5s are bright, but only having 324 watts of it might be cutting it a little too short. In particular, if you want mostly SPS and higher light stuff... id stick with the 8 rows. Heck, if it was me, Id try to cram 9 or maybe 10 bulbs in there...lol.

Unread 12/06/2006, 12:20 PM   #11
Coraline2020
Registered Member

Thanks hahn...

I'd really love to get the Maristar Fixture, but it's a little too rich for my blood (or should I say pocketbook)! I figure all T5's are the next best thing. I agree with you, I am leaning more towards 8 bulb, but if not needed, I'll spend the extra money elsewhere. I forgot to mention that I'll not be using a canopy on this tank, so the fixture must mount (rest) directly on it.

Unread 12/06/2006, 12:56 PM   #12
hahnmeister
Moved On

Thats no problem... make a frame that sits around the parimeter of the tank with aluminum channel, then attach the waterproof endcaps so that they are on top of the channel (upside down from how you are used to seeing), and then the reflectors get reversed, if you will, facing back down into the tank. This is an often overlooked method of mounting the T5s, but it is very sensible. Access to the bulbs for removal is easier, as well as reflector adjustment. This way you can open the canopy without having to move the bulbs right away, but if you need to, you can slide the T5s back (open back canopy), or swing them up (top door canopy) to get into the water.

Also, dont forget that even though the IC SLR reflectors are 2.5" wide, they can be overlapped (they almost look like they were intended to be) at the edges to cut down on the area they need.

Unread 12/06/2006, 12:59 PM   #13
horkn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rrodd89
would a 5500 k light be better for growth? i know 10k is better then say 20k but would 5500 be even better?
well, i wouldnt run one, unless you like algae to get the light it needs.

maybe on a fuge, but i wouldnt run one on a display

Current Tank Info: 200g DIY wood reef, 2x 250w SE 10k MH 2x80 t5ho, 75g sump, Geo Ca RX, ASD 6" recirc skimmer
Unread 12/06/2006, 01:22 PM   #14
cgarsmokr
Registered Member

Hello,
I haven't read this entire hread so I apologize in advance if this question has been answered.
Here goes: I am going to buy the Aquactinics Solar Flare 6 lamp fixture. If I want to raise zoos clams and maybe some SPS.what would a good lamp configuration look like. I want my corals and clams to flouresce but not be too blue and I want to add some pink and red corals as well.
Thank You

Unread 12/06/2006, 02:17 PM   #15
RichConley
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by horkn
well, i wouldnt run one, unless you like algae to get the light it needs.

maybe on a fuge, but i wouldnt run one on a display
Corals have symbiotic algae, and you DO want them to get the light they need.

Unread 12/06/2006, 04:29 PM   #16
hahnmeister
Moved On

yeah, using a 6500K, or even a 3000K has proven very useful. Check out mothra's blog at frags.org for proof. Some T5s have such a narrow output (compared to halides at least... there not lasers or LED's) that your blue, aquablue, and actinic bulb combo may not leave you with ANY warmer spectrums to help 'pigment-up' many corals. It seems many corals see warmer light as an indication of how intense their pigments should be, so a single 3000K bulb in a mix of 6-8 bulbs isnt a bad idea. And FWIW, the look of using a 1:1 mix of GE 6500Ks (now a sun/midday bulb would be used) and blue+ bulbs is awesome, not to mention probably the brightest combo possible.

cgarsmokr,
what size tank? 6-bulbs over a 40B, or a 120g can change things alot. Also, do you like a bluer look, or a more daylight look?

Unread 12/06/2006, 04:37 PM   #17
TekCat
Registered Member

Two questions on 3000K bulbs:

1) Will 3000K color spectrum help nuisance algae?
2) Will 3000K ruin bluish look with yellows?

Unread 12/06/2006, 04:45 PM   #18
hahnmeister
Moved On

Well... yes and no. Yellower bulbs can lead to more algae growth. CAN. But as long as your water parameters are good, and the bulbs arent left on so long that they start to give off IR light (cyano loves old bulbs that give out IR), you shouldnt have any problems.

For how it looks, google and ye shall find...
http://www.blogs.frags.org/showblog.php?bid=87

Unread 12/06/2006, 05:24 PM   #19
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyD91
which bulbs have a bluer color the 11k or the 12k?
I really couldn't see much of a difference.

Unread 12/07/2006, 12:20 AM   #20
sprayin70
Registered Member

I just ordered my T-5's today. I ordered the sls retro kit with icecap reflectors. It is a 6 buld kit for a 75 gallon SPS Tank. The bulbs I chose are:
Front
Blue Plus
Super Act
Blue Plus
Aqua Blue
Blue Plus
Back

What do you think of that combo?

Unread 12/07/2006, 12:23 AM   #21
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

It should be a good start at least. I think it will look good but opinions vary depending on taste. You might want to pick up a GE 6500K daylight as a spare so you can play with different combinations of light.

Unread 12/07/2006, 09:18 AM   #22
Coraline2020
Registered Member

Hey Grim...

Any thoughts? I will NOT be using a canopy, so fixture must mount on tank.

Thanks,
Liz

Quote:
Originally posted by Coraline2020
OK...I've been following along and trying to sort out my new lighting for a 120RR project I am starting, but alas, I'm still confused...I know that I want to go T5's (probably Tek light), but can't figure out if I NEED 8 bulb or if 6 bulb will suffice. Dimensions of new tank will be 4'x2'x2' with a deep sand bed. I would like to keep softies, LPS, and Crocea Clams (up in the rockwork).

Would you guys recommend 6 bulb or 8 bulb? (I haven't purchased lighting yet, so can do either.)

What bulb combination and in what order to give the appearance of Current USA 14K Halide? (Which is what I'm using now on Aquapod and like.)

Do I need (or want) to purchase the acrylic shield for light? (Will it improve, impead, or have no effect on light output?)

Thanks,
Liz

Unread 12/07/2006, 09:33 AM   #23
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Coraline2020
Hey Grim...

Any thoughts? I will NOT be using a canopy, so fixture must mount on tank.

Thanks,
Liz
a 6 lamp fixture would work

Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
Aquablue
UVL Aquasun
Aquablue
Blue Plus

If you want to set the fixture right on the tank get a shield, otherwise keep the fixture at least 4" above the water and you will be fine.

Unread 12/07/2006, 10:06 AM   #24
Coraline2020
Registered Member

THANKS Grim....

I know you have heard it before, but ....YOU ROCK!! Thanks also to everyone on this thread who have provided the much needed info to people like me. I know you guys have invested much time and effort into testing all these bulbs, fixtures, and combinations, and want you to know it's appreciated!

Liz

Unread 12/07/2006, 12:38 PM   #25
TekCat
Registered Member

Allow me to also extend my graditude to all the T5 gurus, and especially to Grim.

...We have lots of kings: King of Rock'n'roll, King of Pop, let me suggest that Grim's title from now on should be "The King of T5" Or just "the king"

Closed Thread