Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/02/2015, 05:57 AM   #1151
Mikefromaz
Registered Member

My system is on the smallish side. My display tank is 29 gal. with a 20 gal. sump. I measured it at 42 gal. total when I set it up accounting for rock, sand and equipment. The CPR overflow handles a little over 400gph. The three section sump holds a filter sock, Coralife 125 super skimmer, two litres of Matrix, 20lb. live rock, phosphate reactor and now the 9w UV unit. My return pump is a Rio 1700. Sorry for the "laundry list", but I do admit it was fun . I used to have an 80gal. reef downstairs on a concrete floor. My new setup is upstairs on a wood floor hence the self imposed weight limit.

Mikefromaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2015, 06:20 AM   #1152
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit

I suppose you're okay then, for some reason I thought you had a larger system.
Hopefully it works well for you.

Unread 06/02/2015, 07:06 AM   #1153
karimwassef
Registered Member

I run a 40W UV on a 380g DT, 660g full system. I've also had success using slow UV on dinos.

karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2015, 08:32 PM   #1154
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit

Finished my FM Ultra Algae X 10th dose on Friday, May 29th. Did a water change this morning, and started GAC again last night. It's bitter-sweet because I have no signs of Dinos, but my sps have lost color (mostly getting brown), and I've lost 1 of them to RTN, a couple others started STN from the base . Polyp extension isn't as good across the board (although FM says this is a side effect of treatment), I'm hoping to see some rebounds over the next couple of weeks. I have some zeovit amino acids on hand, should I dose? Or just continue what was previously successful for me? Tbh I'm second guessing my decision and wonder if I should have just started running UVS to see if that would have worked.....

Unread 06/02/2015, 08:40 PM   #1155
bertoni
RC Mod

I'd probably continue with what worked in the past, although I don't know whether that might encourage the dinoflagellates to return.

Unread 06/09/2015, 07:30 PM   #1156
cal_stir
Registered Member

Update, checked a sample of water squeezed out of my sock a few days ago, was able to find 2 live ostreopsis cells on the slide and some live bacteria cells and some algae cells that appear to dead or at least not active.
Right after I took that sample I started dosing my freshly harvested phytoplankton, 1/4 cup in the morning and 1/4 cup at night, just took a sample from my sock and could not find a single ostreopsis cell, just hundreds of phyto cells swimming around and possibly a couple remnants of ostreopsis cells the the phyto seemed to be feeding on and by remnants I mean all broken up but with the characteristic color and internal organs or structure that make up the dino. Tank is looking awesome and my love for the hobby has been reignited.
I am going to stay the course for now and keep sampling and observing, I am looking forward to putting the sand bed back in if all continues this way.
Will keep posting my results.

cal_stir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2015, 07:47 PM   #1157
Mikefromaz
Registered Member

Cal_stir....

Great news! Very encouraging indeed. My dino invasion appears to have collapsed as well. I owe it to people on RC for sure.. I am going back to review your posts. Thanks for sharing the good news.

Unread 06/09/2015, 07:47 PM   #1158
Butchhe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_stir View Post
Update, checked a sample of water squeezed out of my sock a few days ago, was able to find 2 live ostreopsis cells on the slide and some live bacteria cells and some algae cells that appear to dead or at least not active.
Right after I took that sample I started dosing my freshly harvested phytoplankton, 1/4 cup in the morning and 1/4 cup at night, just took a sample from my sock and could not find a single ostreopsis cell, just hundreds of phyto cells swimming around and possibly a couple remnants of ostreopsis cells the the phyto seemed to be feeding on and by remnants I mean all broken up but with the characteristic color and internal organs or structure that make up the dino. Tank is looking awesome and my love for the hobby has been reignited.
I am going to stay the course for now and keep sampling and observing, I am looking forward to putting the sand bed back in if all continues this way.
Will keep posting my results.
Do you run your skimmer during and after dosing or do you shut it off for a while?

Unread 06/09/2015, 07:59 PM   #1159
Mikefromaz
Registered Member

Scrupulous cleaning, dosing with vodka, fresh phosguard, purigen and UV. I finished up with addimg 200ml. of "reef stew"....essentially live phyto rotifers and pods to help regenerate the bio system trashed by the marine algae killer.

Unread 06/09/2015, 10:44 PM   #1160
DDon
Registered Member

Still dealing with dinos here and unsure of my next steps. The 5 day blackout in May knocked them back but didn't get rid of them, not that I expected it to. I ran reduced lighting and have been slowing bringing it back though still not at near pre-outbreak levels. Was blowing the rock twice a day before and after lights out and dosing peroxide at 1.25 - 1.5ml/gallon right after (so twice a day). Corals (what's left) have continued to decline so I dropped the peroxide to just 1ml/gal once a day in case that was contributing to the decline. Trying to keep pH elevated with kalk. None of this is really helping as dinos are continuing to get worse again.

I am open to all suggestions at this point.

Some things I am considering are:
Trying FM Ultra Algae-X, just not sure if many have had results with it.

Adding a UV sterilizer. Kinda hard to spend the money on a large enough UV if I don't have a better than even chance of it working.

Have also considered letting the tank go "dirty" as some have done but just haven't been able to bring myself to turn off the skimmer and GFO.

I have not identified the type of dinos yet, is it worth it at this point?

Thanks for any help you are able to provide.
Dale

DDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2015, 11:14 PM   #1161
karimwassef
Registered Member

Try the low flow return through a UV and go dark. It'll force them into the water column and sterilize the water.

Unread 06/10/2015, 10:48 AM   #1162
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefromaz View Post
Cal_stir....

Great news! Very encouraging indeed. My dino invasion appears to have collapsed as well. I owe it to people on RC for sure.. I am going back to review your posts. Thanks for sharing the good news.
Glad to hear your having success as well, I hope I'm not being premature but mine has been steadily improving for a couple months now and this is the first time I couldn"t find any live dinos.
Staying the course, slow and steady.

Unread 06/10/2015, 10:51 AM   #1163
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchhe View Post
Do you run your skimmer during and after dosing or do you shut it off for a while?
I skim 24/7, was skimming wet till about a month ago and now just normal.
I already have phyto coming out my ying yang so not worried about skimming it out.

Unread 06/10/2015, 11:03 AM   #1164
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDon View Post
Still dealing with dinos here and unsure of my next steps. The 5 day blackout in May knocked them back but didn't get rid of them, not that I expected it to. I ran reduced lighting and have been slowing bringing it back though still not at near pre-outbreak levels. Was blowing the rock twice a day before and after lights out and dosing peroxide at 1.25 - 1.5ml/gallon right after (so twice a day). Corals (what's left) have continued to decline so I dropped the peroxide to just 1ml/gal once a day in case that was contributing to the decline. Trying to keep pH elevated with kalk. None of this is really helping as dinos are continuing to get worse again.

I am open to all suggestions at this point.

Some things I am considering are:
Trying FM Ultra Algae-X, just not sure if many have had results with it.

Adding a UV sterilizer. Kinda hard to spend the money on a large enough UV if I don't have a better than even chance of it working.

Have also considered letting the tank go "dirty" as some have done but just haven't been able to bring myself to turn off the skimmer and GFO.

I have not identified the type of dinos yet, is it worth it at this point?

Thanks for any help you are able to provide.
Dale
FM Ultra Algae-X is what brought on my dinos, it decimated the micro fauna in my system, I was trying to rid bubble algae.
I did the dirty method but I run a sulphur denitrator and dose lamthenun chloride so was able to maintain my po4 at .03 and my nitrates at 5ppm. I came real close to hair algae. I used UV in the beginning but found it was limiting the micro algae so I stopped and haven't used it since.
If you go the clean route you will need a good UV so don't cheap out, I have a coralife turbo twist but the better ones have skinny tubes to keep the water close to the light source which is best.

Unread 06/10/2015, 05:20 PM   #1165
Royce7586
Registered Member

well I noticed a few strands of dinos on my birds nest, so dosed 1 shot glass of Kordon Ich attack in my 55g, Literally 30 seconds after dosing 1 strand blew off and all strands were gone within an hour

Royce7586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2015, 07:12 PM   #1166
karimwassef
Registered Member

Not surprising that ich medication would kill or disrupt dino.

Ich IS a type of dino.

The difference is that ich and marine velvet infect fish and the dinos we see infect the whole tank.

Since zooxanthellae are also dinoflagellates, I wonder if they're impacted too.

Unread 06/10/2015, 07:30 PM   #1167
Mikefromaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
Try the low flow return through a UV and go dark. It'll force them into the water column and sterilize the water.
The odd thing about UV sterilizers is the slower one pumps water through their unit the better they work. At first glance my 9 w. Turbo twist doesn't seem like a "giant killer". It is set however to 50g./hr. That is enough to run the 42gal. In my system past the UV around 30 times per 24hr. although the dinos don't move around much during the lights on period.

Unread 06/10/2015, 07:53 PM   #1168
karimwassef
Registered Member

True. Almost everyone who says UV is a waste of money is running their UV at high flow.

I run my 40W at 200gph. It's literally a trickle in my 660g setup but every night, it zaps the dinos floating in the water column. Then my skimmer exports them.

Unread 06/11/2015, 10:44 AM   #1169
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:
The odd thing about UV sterilizers is the slower one pumps water through their unit the better they work. At first glance my 9 w. Turbo twist doesn't seem like a "giant killer". It is set however to 50g./hr. That is enough to run the 42gal. In my system past the UV around 30 times per 24hr. although the dinos don't move around much during the lights on period.
The problem with the turbo twist is that some of the water that passes thru isn't close enough to the lamp for proper sterilization so more dwell time is required.

Unread 06/11/2015, 11:42 AM   #1170
Mikefromaz
Registered Member

I have to admit I have never read any pubs on that unit except for the one included with the turbo twist. They have a line graph showing gph. Vs what type of flow will kill various organisms. The min. flow for the 9 Watt is graphed at 54gph. I set mine to 51gph just for a bit of margin. Anyway my dinos yelled uncle and the tank water is basically invisible. I am very pleased.

Unread 06/11/2015, 02:41 PM   #1171
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:
I have to admit I have never read any pubs on that unit except for the one included with the turbo twist. They have a line graph showing gph. Vs what type of flow will kill various organisms. The min. flow for the 9 Watt is graphed at 54gph. I set mine to 51gph just for a bit of margin. Anyway my dinos yelled uncle and the tank water is basically invisible. I am very pleased.
Good to hear, I have the 36 watt and ran it slower than their graph as well, it was working but it was limiting the micro algae as well and my goal was to encourage micro algae. The glass was turning brown with diatoms and dinos and the micro algae out competed it and I was growing a full crop on the glass daily, now that I am feeding phyto the glass only needs to be cleaned every few days instead of everyday.
I think that if someone with a large system is going to go the UV (clean) method then they should go big or go home.

Unread 06/11/2015, 02:55 PM   #1172
Mikefromaz
Registered Member

I agree about the bigger UV unit for a bigger system. Actually my 9watt is a throwback to when I had my 80gal. reef. I only used it for a short time because it didn't seem to work. Im not surprised. This algaefix stuff started out greay and ended up with a much worse problem than HA. Live and learn right?

Unread 06/11/2015, 03:30 PM   #1173
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:
I agree about the bigger UV unit for a bigger system. Actually my 9watt is a throwback to when I had my 80gal. reef. I only used it for a short time because it didn't seem to work. Im not surprised. This algaefix stuff started out greay and ended up with a much worse problem than HA. Live and learn right?
You got that right, bubble algae way easier than dinos to.

Unread 06/11/2015, 08:39 PM   #1174
Mikefromaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_stir View Post
You got that right, bubble algae way easier than dinos to.
LOL....yeah at least you get the satisfaction of yanking them out of the tank. I find myself fighting the urge to throw them on the floor and stamping on them. I can just hear my wife......grin.

Unread 06/11/2015, 08:44 PM   #1175
karimwassef
Registered Member

I like my 40W turbo twist. I run slow enough that I kill most of what goes into it. The way I see it is that it's really just reducing the length of the UV tube assembly... To get as much exposure, I'd have to run a system maybe 2-3x as long without the twist. So it's just compact.

The penalty is flow rate, but that's ok.