Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/06/2009, 01:50 PM   #26
TheNomadRhodes
Registered Member

Can some body please tell me how I can mod my Aqua Euro USA 400s water outlet pipe, I would like to mod it with a valve in place of the slid pipe.
Can any one please help me with this?

TheNomadRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2009, 03:23 PM   #27
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

post a pic so I can see what we are working with

Unread 03/06/2009, 05:59 PM   #28
TheNomadRhodes
Registered Member

As you can see i'm limited on space here.
What I wanted to do was find a way I can put like a 90degree angle so I don't have to worry about water splashing out of the pipe and out of the sump, but still be able to control the skimmer level..
Any ideas?

TheNomadRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2009, 06:18 PM   #29
HOBrien
Registered Member

Any suggestions as to a skimmer for a heavly stocked 200gallon FOWLR tank? My max in budget is only a messely $250.

I was looking at the Pacific Coast ps-2000 and ps-3000. Your thoughts on those?

Current Tank Info: Have a Neo Nano just set up.
HOBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2009, 06:35 PM   #30
wayne_sreef
Registered Member

Need option on ATI BM300 likes and dislikes.

wayne_sreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2009, 08:50 PM   #31
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Hey Mojo I bought a used Euro Reef CS8/2 about 6 months ago prior to that skimmer I had a ER CS5/3. The tank is a 120 mixed reef with a 30 gallon ER sump. Prior to upgrading my 5/3 would pull out one cup in 3-4 days chocolate syrup skimmate out. Then I got the older style 8/2 with sedra 5000 and it would make a lot of dirty bubbles but never any skimmate. Then in three days the neck would get so dirty I had to clean it. So I upgraded the impeller and the voulte. Then I put a gate valve mod on it still no improvements. My nitrates are up to 100 PPM so I pulled the 8/2 and put the 5/3 back in and I was pulling 2-3 cups a day med tea color skimmate. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2009, 09:00 PM   #32
96p993
Registered Member

I just got in a Bubble Magus 160...Im really impressed with the build quality and its potential right out of the box. The Aqua Bee is a great pump but Im looking for some possible changes to make but havent seen much on modding this particular pump...just wondering if you had any suggestions or knew of a thread that dealt with this pump and or skimmer. I have read all the pages of the BM owener thread.

Thanks

96p993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2009, 09:08 PM   #33
tinnghe
Registered Member

it would be a good idea to place a post a link to all the new cone skimmers too many of them out there.

what would you recommend for a 150 heavily stock mix reef? i have the msx 200 and love it, but i think it is too small want to upgrade.

tinnghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2009, 11:13 PM   #34
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by TheNomadRhodes
Can some body please tell me how I can mod my Aqua Euro USA 400s water outlet pipe, I would like to mod it with a valve in place of the slid pipe.
Can any one please help me with this?
Where the stand pipe is you can cut it off about 1 inch above the elbow and glue a adapter to standard PVC then you will put in a T fitting and coming out the side of the T is where the Gate valve would go. And you will put a piece about 4 to 5 " coming out of the top of the T I ll if I can find a pick to hlp show what I am talking about.

mojo~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2009, 11:18 PM   #35
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBrien
Any suggestions as to a skimmer for a heavly stocked 200gallon FOWLR tank? My max in budget is only a messely $250.

I was looking at the Pacific Coast ps-2000 and ps-3000. Your thoughts on those?
the ps 3000 would work for a FOWLR but I would get something something a little better. Like a msx 250 or a warner marine s 200. I know they are out of your budget. but for your size tank you need to have something that will move enough water through it. You might want to consider a ETSS sump buddy skimmer. They will cycle alot more water than a standard pinwheel skimmer. I would go with something better than what you are looking at. Keep an eye out for a good used one.

Unread 03/06/2009, 11:24 PM   #36
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by wayne_sreef
Need option on ATI BM300 likes and dislikes.
The ATI skimmers were a great skimmer when they came out. THey are built pretty chea in my opinion. Not really my choice for the $$$ You would be much better off with a MSX 250 or 300.Just my 2 cents.

Unread 03/06/2009, 11:26 PM   #37
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by moondoggy4
Hey Mojo I bought a used Euro Reef CS8/2 about 6 months ago prior to that skimmer I had a ER CS5/3. The tank is a 120 mixed reef with a 30 gallon ER sump. Prior to upgrading my 5/3 would pull out one cup in 3-4 days chocolate syrup skimmate out. Then I got the older style 8/2 with sedra 5000 and it would make a lot of dirty bubbles but never any skimmate. Then in three days the neck would get so dirty I had to clean it. So I upgraded the impeller and the voulte. Then I put a gate valve mod on it still no improvements. My nitrates are up to 100 PPM so I pulled the 8/2 and put the 5/3 back in and I was pulling 2-3 cups a day med tea color skimmate. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Not sure but if you are getting a dirty neck then you should raise the water level in the neck. IT make take some time for the new skimmer to break in.Might take more than three days. Give it a week and see if it does any better. And try raising the water level just a little bit as well.

Unread 03/06/2009, 11:30 PM   #38
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by 96p993
I just got in a Bubble Magus 160...Im really impressed with the build quality and its potential right out of the box. The Aqua Bee is a great pump but Im looking for some possible changes to make but havent seen much on modding this particular pump...just wondering if you had any suggestions or knew of a thread that dealt with this pump and or skimmer. I have read all the pages of the BM owener thread.

Thanks
Check the DAS and Deltec forums as they use the same pump. About the only thing I would do to an aquabee is maybe mesh mod it. but be careful that your skimmer can handle the extra air volume. THe aquabee usually likes just a little bit of intake restriction as well. check out those forums and htat should help.

Unread 03/06/2009, 11:38 PM   #39
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by tinnghe
it would be a good idea to place a post a link to all the new cone skimmers too many of them out there.

what would you recommend for a 150 heavily stock mix reef? i have the msx 200 and love it, but i think it is too small want to upgrade.
Well I believe you are pushing the limit of the 200. you will want something that cycles a little more water. what is your budget? Here are a list of skimmers I would suggest that would be a step up
Bubble king mini 200 gen2
Warner Marine AS200
the New Alpha vertex cone will work very well.
ATB econo 1050
Warner Marine K2

All this will work very well. and would be a step up from the 200 you could go with a MSX 250 as well. As it will add a second pump.

Unread 03/06/2009, 11:40 PM   #40
HOBrien
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mojo~
the ps 3000 would work for a FOWLR but I would get something something a little better. Like a msx 250 or a warner marine s 200. I know they are out of your budget. but for your size tank you need to have something that will move enough water through it. You might want to consider a ETSS sump buddy skimmer. They will cycle alot more water than a standard pinwheel skimmer. I would go with something better than what you are looking at. Keep an eye out for a good used one.
Ok What about the SWC Extreme 200?

Unread 03/06/2009, 11:45 PM   #41
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

well the 200 is a far better skimmer than the two you suggested and would work fine. I just think if you could cycle more water you would be better off. Thats why I suggested teh 250 as it uses two pumps.

Unread 03/07/2009, 12:10 AM   #42
tinnghe
Registered Member

Quote:
Well I believe you are pushing the limit of the 200. you will want something that cycles a little more water. what is your budget? Here are a list of skimmers I would suggest that would be a step up
Bubble king mini 200 gen2
Warner Marine AS200
the New Alpha vertex cone will work very well.
ATB econo 1050
Warner Marine K2

All this will work very well. and would be a step up from the 200 you could go with a MSX 250 as well. As it will add a second pump.
i am interested in getting a cone, budget really depend, but my most concern is the space, i set it to the point that the 200 fit in perfectly. i was thinking of the i-tech medium. what do you think?

tinnghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2009, 12:12 AM   #43
HOBrien
Registered Member

Is there anything wrong with the AquaEuroUSA 250 model that has 2 pumps? I can get a used one

Unread 03/07/2009, 12:29 AM   #44
Eldredge
Registered Member

Thanks for doing this thread Mojo. I have a 125 gallon tank with a 55 gallon sump/fuge. I have had zero nitrates for quite a while using a cruddy little skimmer that came with the aquarium (both used). The rio pump on the skimmer went out right before I went out of town last week. After a week without a skimmer, my NO3 is still 0 - I have a lot of live rock, fairly light load, and run carbon 24/7. I have checked the nitrate levels in the past with another kit, and it also read 0.

I would like to increase my bio-load, so I think I want a new skimmer, but I am a little worried to start skimming heavily when things seem to be okay right now (sps, lps, and softies doing fine, but I do have some algae).

Anyway, I am considering going with a modest skimmer like one of the basic octopus skimmers, or the bubble magus 100 v2 or maybe 150. I would like something that is a good value - not to expensive, very stable and dependable, and easy to use out of the box. I have a timer that shutts the skimmer off for 15 minutes twice a day, so it has to re-start without any problems too. Do you have any suggestions for me? Thanks for your help.

Eldredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2009, 01:17 AM   #45
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by tinnghe
i am interested in getting a cone, budget really depend, but my most concern is the space, i set it to the point that the 200 fit in perfectly. i was thinking of the i-tech medium. what do you think?
I have heard things about itech but they are hot air welded and am not as certain about their quality control as some of the others. I cant say anything good or bad about them. I just havent seen anything but pictures of them. The 200 is a good skimmer and if it will fit perfect the cones will most likely not as they have larger bases.

Unread 03/07/2009, 01:20 AM   #46
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

not sure what you want to spend but a vertex in 180 would work really well for what you want to do. Basically a euro reef with a bubble plate. Price is about $289 and should work pretty well for what you want to do. The msx 200 would work well but the pumps cans start in either direction which might change how it runs. hope this helps Mojo~

Unread 03/07/2009, 01:22 AM   #47
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBrien
Is there anything wrong with the AquaEuroUSA 250 model that has 2 pumps? I can get a used one
nothing wrong with it. I am just not a aqua euro fan. THeir are better bang for the buck skimmers out there. Its pretty old school design compared to whats available now days. I would get a nicer skimmer even if its used.

Unread 03/07/2009, 05:24 AM   #48
cpllongjk
Registered Member

Mojo,

Currently I have a Euro-Reef cs80. Im looking to upgrade my skimmer but have the future in mind not just my current tank.

My tank now is 60g main, 10g sump.
My next tank, approx 1-2 years from now will be 120g main, 20-30g sump.

This is as large as I will ever have, 150g total water volume. The tank will be heavily stocked with fish, and mainly sps. I havent decided on BB or not for my next build.

I have a few skimmers in mind but dont know what is best for me:

BK mini 180
BK mini 200
BK Cone, either of the new sizes
ATB Econo 840

Price isnt as important as quality and performance. I dont want to have to buy twice is all.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

cpllongjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2009, 07:14 AM   #49
wayne_sreef
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. But I am asking about the performance.

Quote:
The ATI skimmers were a great skimmer when they came out. THey are built pretty chea in my opinion. Not really my choice for the $$$ You would be much better off with a MSX 250 or 300.Just my 2 cents.

wayne_sreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2009, 08:07 AM   #50
GSMguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wayne_sreef
Thanks for the reply. But I am asking about the performance.
There mesh mods are sloppy and bubble plates restrictive, mojo was right to point you towards the MSX.

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
GSMguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atb, nw150b protein skimmer, vertex