Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/31/2012, 11:12 PM   #26
Dazed1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeConsumer View Post
I know they're not a popular option because they lack programming, dimming, and overall controllability, but have you considered the kessil A350's to light the tank? It will be able to punch through 30" of water easily.

I love my kessil. But i wish it was programmable. if the tank wasnt in my living room, and I did not want something sleek (single A350W on a 57g tank), i would have gone with the AI. so much you can do with programming it. Perfect for an office area where they are showcasing natural things (solar panels, etc). With the AI, he'll be able to give it a good weather pattern, thunder, lightning, sunrise, sunset, etc.

Unread 06/01/2012, 12:23 AM   #27
jimmyjames
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEC11718 View Post
too bad u couldnt get solar light to the tank....solar tubes? maybe? a solar company...lighting their tank with solar light! how novel is that?
JEC11718.... Solar tubes would really be another project for me.. as the Display tank and fish room are on the first floor of a two story building....
It definitely would be interesting to do if I had my own fish store and sold corals that were grown from using the solar tube versus artificial light...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeConsumer View Post
I know they're not a popular option because they lack programming, dimming, and overall controllability, but have you considered the kessil A350's to light the tank? It will be able to punch through 30" of water easily.
TimeConsumer... Actually I originally was going to go with the Kessil's... but.. my LFS used it on their display tank that was similar in dimensions and the same in depth.... It was just dim... i don't know how their sps will do... they are currently supplementing the kessil's with T5's... Though the shimmer effect is very strong!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed1 View Post
I love my kessil. But i wish it was programmable. if the tank wasnt in my living room, and I did not want something sleek (single A350W on a 57g tank), i would have gone with the AI. so much you can do with programming it. Perfect for an office area where they are showcasing natural things (solar panels, etc). With the AI, he'll be able to give it a good weather pattern, thunder, lightning, sunrise, sunset, etc.
I believe the Radions will also simulate the thunder and lighting along with the MP's..... I actually don't know if I will need to connect the Apex Neptune to the lights and MP's.... since ecoTech looks like they have a pretty robust control interface...?
I would be using the Apex for temp, ph, alk monitoring mainly...right?...
I definitely like how it has the iphone interface and the alerts...
Thanks for all the info thusfar Dazed1.....

jimmyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2012, 01:17 PM   #28
Dazed1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjames View Post
I believe the Radions will also simulate the thunder and lighting along with the MP's..... I actually don't know if I will need to connect the Apex Neptune to the lights and MP's.... since ecoTech looks like they have a pretty robust control interface...?
I would be using the Apex for temp, ph, alk monitoring mainly...right?...
I definitely like how it has the iphone interface and the alerts...
Thanks for all the info thusfar Dazed1.....

Correct. The radions will do that too, but having the ability to control everything from a single app is priceless. The vortech can be controlled by the APex.

You would use the apex not just for monitoring temp, ph, sailnity, but can also use it to get complex with dosing schedules based on ph reading, auto top off systems, alarms for sump flood, high temps, low temps, starting fans / heaters based on temp. You can also control starting the heater only if the lights are off (if you have hot MH's), or fans /chillers.

Basically anything that you can think of that can follow a logical flow, you can program with either controller.

Unread 06/01/2012, 01:19 PM   #29
Dazed1
Registered Member

Quote:

TimeConsumer... Actually I originally was going to go with the Kessil's... but.. my LFS used it on their display tank that was similar in dimensions and the same in depth.... It was just dim... i don't know how their sps will do... they are currently supplementing the kessil's with T5's... Though the shimmer effect is very strong!!!

Do you know which Kessil? 150, 350, 350W ? Big difference in PAR and depth values.

Unread 06/01/2012, 05:31 PM   #30
jimmyjames
Registered Member

Quote:
Correct. The radions will do that too, but having the ability to control everything from a single app is priceless. The vortech can be controlled by the APex.

You would use the apex not just for monitoring temp, ph, sailnity, but can also use it to get complex with dosing schedules based on ph reading, auto top off systems, alarms for sump flood, high temps, low temps, starting fans / heaters based on temp. You can also control starting the heater only if the lights are off (if you have hot MH's), or fans /chillers.

Basically anything that you can think of that can follow a logical flow, you can program with either controller.
AWESOME!!! Thanks for the info...

Quote:
Do you know which Kessil? 150, 350, 350W ? Big difference in PAR and depth values.
It was the Kessil 350... I know though it is not 350W....

Unread 06/01/2012, 07:06 PM   #31
Dazed1
Registered Member

Quote:
AWESOME!!! Thanks for the info...

It was the Kessil 350... I know though it is not 350W....
Interesting. The 350 is brigther due to the narrow spread at deeper levels (few inches off the top).

I have a 350W coming in for my 24" high tank. Should be interesting.

Unread 06/29/2012, 07:35 PM   #32
jimmyjames
Registered Member

So... Here is the location in the office lobby of where my new 280 gallon tank!!! Sorry I have not been posting much .... but was busy closing escrow on this building!!!... finally done... and got my office staff all settled in... going into construction soon!!!!

future location of the fish room....

Unread 06/29/2012, 07:37 PM   #33
jimmyjames
Registered Member

YEAH!!!!

this was what I picked up today!!!....

Unread 06/29/2012, 08:12 PM   #34
milonedp
Registered Member

Sweet! I was getting worried about you thought you weren't moving forward glad to see you back online!

To see my 450g Display Tank / 600g System build thread click on my username and select "Visit milonedp's homepage!"

Current Tank Info: 450 Gallon Reef
milonedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2012, 09:24 PM   #35
jimmyjames
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milonedp View Post
Sweet! I was getting worried about you thought you weren't moving forward glad to see you back online!
Yeah... Closing escrow on a building involves tons of paperwork!! So exhausting!!... The tank from lee mar should arrive in 3 weeks... The old 180 gallon is being retrofitted into the sump and I should be picking it up end of next week!!...
Ali over at amazing aquariums and reef has been so helpful!!...

Construction should be completed in 3 weeks as well... So there is ginna be a lot of pics at that time...

Going to pick up my slr camera sometime next week as well with a macro lense!!...

Can't wait for everything to come together and then I can have an open house!!!

Unread 08/14/2012, 12:11 PM   #36
jimmyjames
Registered Member

So... I know its been a while... but I just want to get everything correct...
The tank from LeeMar was finally completed and I just picked it up.... here some picks.. I'll unwrap this when it will be ready for installation!!!

Here is the tank from the LeeMar warehouse....

Here is the tank on the truck before I drove it back to my office....

Unread 08/14/2012, 01:45 PM   #37
PAnanoguy
Registered Member

Looks like a great start. Good luck. I'm following along.

Unread 08/28/2012, 06:42 PM   #38
jimmyjames
Registered Member

Update for today....

There should be more frequent updates soon....since we are finally coming to an end on the construction!!!

so... I had a local welder build the stand for me and I must say... it is fits into the room width wise like a glove...!!!

The stand was made using 2x2 tube steel at 1/8" thick... the entire stand is finished in black and powder coated to prevent any rusting at the welds.

This is from inside the fish room..

its beginning to come together!!!

more updates to come!!!

Unread 08/29/2012, 06:44 AM   #39
PAnanoguy
Registered Member

I get excited any time I hear the words "fish room"

Unread 08/29/2012, 01:31 PM   #40
jimmyjames
Registered Member

todays update:

So today it took 8 guys to maneuver and move the fish tank to the top of the stand which is 4 feet off of the ground.

Without incident... the move was successful!!..

here are a few pics of the empty tank in place.
More updates to follow as we progress.

Here is the tank and sump in the fish room

Unread 08/30/2012, 07:40 AM   #41
Munchdog
Moved On

Nice build. I was looking at your ph readings, how do you keep it that stable? Are you dosing?

Munchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2012, 08:35 AM   #42
rogermccray
Registered Member

Looks good! Do you plan on moving the tank more into the open corner to is can be seen better from both sides? or are you going to leave it where it sits right now?

rogermccray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2012, 12:35 PM   #43
jimmyjames
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchdog View Post
Nice build. I was looking at your ph readings, how do you keep it that stable? Are you dosing?
Munchdog... Thanks... in regards to the PH reading?... what do you mean..?.... for this tank I will be running the Neptune controller and also will be dosing CA, MG, and ALK... using a bubble magnus system...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermccray View Post
Looks good! Do you plan on moving the tank more into the open corner to is can be seen better from both sides? or are you going to leave it where it sits right now?
Roger... The corner is actually almost done... I'll update with more pictures... you hopefully like it once you see it...

Unread 08/30/2012, 05:00 PM   #44
jimmyjames
Registered Member

Todays Update....

Some detail work on the drywall and such....

Corner wall and tank detail...

Close up of the corner...

getting closer and closer.... day by day... lol

Unread 08/31/2012, 07:41 AM   #45
Munchdog
Moved On

Jimmy, regarding the ph...mine swings from 7.8 to 8.3 daily. I run a lamp in the sump at night
Just saw your ph was consistent with no dip at night. Was curious if you were doing anything to keep it that stable.

Its gonna be sweet when its done, great office

Munchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2012, 07:49 AM   #46
etymotic
Registered Member

Love the recessed corner. Looks great!

More pics please

etymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2012, 08:15 AM   #47
rogermccray
Registered Member

Ohh, that does look very good!

rogermccray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2012, 08:27 AM   #48
Spirofucci
Registered Member

Oh man.....this is gonna be nice!

Spirofucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2012, 09:15 AM   #49
d2mini
Registered Member

WOW! This is awesome. Love the modern look.
What does your business do?

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2012, 10:44 AM   #50
jimmyjames
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchdog View Post
Jimmy, regarding the ph...mine swings from 7.8 to 8.3 daily. I run a lamp in the sump at night
Just saw your ph was consistent with no dip at night. Was curious if you were doing anything to keep it that stable.
Its gonna be sweet when its done, great office
Munchdog... oh.. that was the reading from someone else showing me how great the neptune controller was... I hope my swings in ph will be like hers!!!
.... we got a lot of reclaimed wood coming from a milk barn in Wisconsin that is 90 years old to accent a lot of the areas too!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by etymotic View Post
Love the recessed corner. Looks great!

More pics please
Thank you etymotic... more pics to come in the near future.... we are finally coming to an end on the construction of the office....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermccray View Post
Ohh, that does look very good!
Thanks Roger....!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirofucci View Post
Oh man.....this is gonna be nice!
Thank you Spirofucci!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
WOW! This is awesome. Love the modern look.
What does your business do?
d2mini... thank you... I just hope my build is as great as yours... your tank was one of my biggest inspirations!!!
My business is manufacturing solar panels. My company name is ecoSolargy Inc. Asides from manufacturing, we began to do projects and a lot of solar integration for a lot of clients. My background is actually in architecture/interior design... so.. my style is pretty much modernism/minimalism...so hence the straight lines and raw look of construction as such...
I put up a 12 kW solar system on the top of our building as well.... this will pretty much run the aquarium system and more... we have monitoring systems so we can show clients how much electricity we are saving and how the majority of the tank runs on solar energy....(except for at night... lol)

More progress pics to come in the near future!!!! thanks all for taking a look!!