Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tampa Bay Saltwater
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/13/2011, 03:51 PM   #1
missk
Registered Member

New 36 gal bowfront tank journal

So, my boss one day decides that we want a bigger aquarium for the office. So we buy the biggest tank the table we had could handle, a 36 gal bowfront. The next question was.... what kind of fish do you want? After looking at some pictures, the choice was of course the colorful saltwater fish. I'm the caretaker. A complete beginner. Put in charge of setting up and maintaining this tank. This is new to me. So here is how it's going...

Today, I picked up the first shipment of "the package" for a 30 gal tank from the airport. This package is supposed to consist of 60 lbs rock, 30 lbs sand, 30 hermits, 15 snails, 2 cukes, 1 star, 1 shrimp. Prior to picking up the package, Richard, was extremely responsive to all questions.. And he was able to meet my special request: live rock that could fit the small rectangular opening i had to squeeze them thru.

I received a total of three boxes, one box containing sand and the other two live rock. A surprise was in the live sand - a sea urchin. And I've come across a couple of snails as well.

The sand & rock are now in the tank.. the water is cloudy so I can't see much.. Didnt really get to arrange the rock properly due to the lack of visibility. This was all expected as per the guidelines sent with the package. The rock came in varying shapes and sizes. There's pink stuff, orange stuff, purple stuff all over the rocks.. can someone tell me what this is exactly? Is it algae? I will take pics once everything clears up. I can identify a small feather duster..

I'm patiently waiting and already anxious for the day the tank is done cycling. Then I can let Richard know to send the second shipment with everything else!

missk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2011, 09:56 PM   #2
Raggamuffin
Registered Member

algea, sponges, corals could be anything really and with his rock you will be finding new stuff for at least another year so don't worry or rush. Take your time get pics of what you want ID'd then get everything set up we will be only really be able to help with clear pics.

Raggamuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2011, 12:35 AM   #3
mndfreeze
Invert Sexy Time!

There will be tons of stuff as ragga said. A lot of the bright colors you see will be sponges. The greens, some plant looking reds will be macro algae. Coraline algae is purple and red as well.

Just give it time, be patient with getting it going and read read read read read read read read (times a billion) and you will be surprised what crazy stuff comes out of those rocks!

mndfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2011, 09:21 AM   #4
missk
Registered Member

Day 2

Ok.. I rearranged the rock a bit.. Here's some pictures.. Please let me know if you can identify the stuff on the rock.. I am concerned about the 'white' stuff. Does that mean that is dead and I need to scrub it off the rock?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0175.jpg (79.4 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0177.jpg (88.5 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0178.jpg (73.7 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0180.jpg (66.8 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0181.jpg (82.4 KB, 110 views)
Unread 10/14/2011, 09:56 AM   #5
missk
Registered Member

Day 2 readings

PH: between 8.0 & 8.2, seems a little low?
Ammonia: very yellow indicating 0 ppm - this means no die off has occurred?

Unread 10/14/2011, 12:58 PM   #6
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by missk View Post
Ok.. I rearranged the rock a bit.. Here's some pictures.. Please let me know if you can identify the stuff on the rock.. I am concerned about the 'white' stuff. Does that mean that is dead and I need to scrub it off the rock?

Good job !!!!

the 'white stuff" is just another type of encrusting sponge...no worries......no ammonia???..a very good thing....but do not get complacent ...as it could come so be ready if it does, but on day two with no ammonia....is the real live sand and rock that is the reason....one of the benefits of having rock that is under water from point of harvest to your tank!

Oh yeah...do not mess with any water parameters while cycling...is a normal occurrence for chemistry swings..your only concern is ammonia until after part two goes in....then test for the other parameters...no need to waste test kits now...other than ammonia...

sea ya
Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

liverock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2011, 09:42 AM   #7
missk
Registered Member

Day 5

There is a discoloration in the live sand.. turning dark.. is this a bad sign? Ammonia test just now read 0 ppm.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0186.jpg (78.0 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0187.jpg (103.6 KB, 87 views)
Unread 10/17/2011, 01:54 PM   #8
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
There is a discoloration in the live sand.. turning dark.. is this a bad sign? Ammonia test just now read 0 ppm.
Looks like something my have died in that area...a snail...or something...stir that area up a little, and it will become aerobic again...

sea ya
Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

Unread 10/18/2011, 02:40 PM   #9
missk
Registered Member

Day 6

Tampa Bay Saltwater is the way to go!!! It's day 6. No water change has been needed as of yet.. and I was told not to, unless the ammonia goes over 1ppm. As of day one till now, the ammonia level has been at a consistent 0ppm. This is the result of true "live" rock...

Hate to admit it but I really wanted some branching rock. Purchased 15 lbs from another website, it came in putrid.. ranked of.. well.. it's best not to relive that... I have had to change the water almost daily since it arrived on Friday the 14th.. ammonia was thru the roof from day 1. Still waiting for it to cure.

Buy your rock from Richard.. it's worth it!!!

Unread 10/18/2011, 03:21 PM   #10
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Tampa Bay Saltwater is the way to go!!! It's day 6. No water change has been needed as of yet.. and I was told not to, unless the ammonia goes over 1ppm. As of day one till now, the ammonia level has been at a consistent 0ppm. This is the result of true "live" rock...

Hate to admit it but I really wanted some branching rock. Purchased 15 lbs from another website, it came in putrid.. ranked of.. well.. it's best not to relive that... I have had to change the water almost daily since it arrived on Friday the 14th.. ammonia was thru the roof from day 1. Still waiting for it to cure.

Buy your rock from Richard.. it's worth it!!!

Hummm...tell me that you did not put that rock in the tank with my rock........pleeeeeze.....

Richard TBS
wwww.tbsaltwater.com

Unread 10/19/2011, 01:26 AM   #11
missk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverock View Post
Hummm...tell me that you did not put that rock in the tank with my rock........pleeeeeze.....

Richard TBS
wwww.tbsaltwater.com
No, that rock is in a quarantine tank....

Unread 10/19/2011, 01:41 PM   #12
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
No, that rock is in a quarantine tank....
I feel better now LOL.....

Unread 10/20/2011, 07:10 AM   #13
missk
Registered Member

Day 8

Unknown critter found yesterday.. is this little red guy a crab?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0200.jpg (78.4 KB, 112 views)
Unread 10/22/2011, 11:36 AM   #14
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Unknown critter found yesterday.. is this little red guy a crab?
He is a very cool, orange body deco crab...and with part two he will have something to wear...!

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

Unread 10/24/2011, 09:34 AM   #15
missk
Registered Member

Day 12

The little guy is missing now.. but we saw another one.. almost twice the size.. and decorated already with stuff on his back. Is is possible this is the same crab? Otherwise.. we ended up with two decorator crabs!!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg decoCrab.jpg (67.6 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by missk; 10/24/2011 at 09:56 AM.
Unread 10/24/2011, 02:53 PM   #16
missk
Registered Member

Sponge Health

I'm concerned about the health of the sponges in my tank.. there was a sponge that was orangey red in color and is now a light pink.. does this mean it is dying? or is dead? what should i do?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg redspongebefore.jpg (66.8 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg redspongeafter.jpg (64.7 KB, 75 views)
Unread 10/24/2011, 04:53 PM   #17
liverock
RC Sponsor

That is a tunicate..and it is happy!

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

Unread 10/25/2011, 08:46 AM   #18
missk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverock View Post
That is a tunicate..and it is happy!

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com
What is the reason for the color change?

Unread 10/25/2011, 09:23 AM   #19
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
What is the reason for the color change?
Most likely...lighting...differences

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

Unread 10/26/2011, 09:40 AM   #20
missk
Registered Member

Day 14

So we received the second shipment of the package yesterday.. bunch of close up individual pics posted under the thread "honest review of tampa bay"...

Ammonia reading this morning was about 0.5 ppm. Here's a pic of what the tank looks like now. It's kind of hodgepodge. The tank seems too small for so much content!!! Everything you see, minus the equipment, is from Tampa Bay Saltwater.. amazing colors!!!! Hopefully nothing changes!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tankpic.jpg (78.3 KB, 116 views)
Unread 10/26/2011, 04:50 PM   #21
missk
Registered Member

Activity around the tank

A few things happened this afternoon.. The tiger goby was spotted darting around in the rocks.. There's a clicking/popping noise.. Usually 1-3 clicks at a time.. Guessing we have a pistol shrimp? And the purple sea urchin chewed up one of the pink tunicates!

Unread 10/26/2011, 04:54 PM   #22
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
A few things happened this afternoon.. The tiger goby was spotted darting around in the rocks.. There's a clicking/popping noise.. Usually 1-3 clicks at a time.. Guessing we have a pistol shrimp? And the purple sea urchin chewed up one of the pink tunicates!
They are hungry after the flight...feed the tank some raw shrimp...and see what happens!

Richard TBS
http://www.tbsaltwater.com:rollface:...ace::rollface:

Unread 10/27/2011, 09:30 AM   #23
missk
Registered Member

Day 15

Temp went up from yesterday afternoon at 26.3C to 27.3C. How alarmed should I be? Difference might possibly be due to heat generated from turning on the skimmer? Do I need to invest in a cooler? I have read that 79 - low 80's is ok..

Unread 10/27/2011, 12:16 PM   #24
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Temp went up from yesterday afternoon at 26.3C to 27.3C. How alarmed should I be? Difference might possibly be due to heat generated from turning on the skimmer? Do I need to invest in a cooler? I have read that 79 - low 80's is ok..
Put a box fan blowing on the tank....cooler the better....79-80 is too high...

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

Unread 10/27/2011, 07:37 PM   #25
mndfreeze
Invert Sexy Time!

All moving equipment will generate heat. Power heads, pumps, lights, etc. My 14G nano always runs between 79 and 82. That is with LED lightning, minimal pumps, and a house that stays at 72.

Put a fan on like Richard says and it will help a lot. I wouldn't be super alarmed at 79 to 80 though.

mndfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote