Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/06/2018, 08:47 AM   #1
freddybnj2004
Registered Member

Emergency

Hello all... I screwed up last night and got lazy... I saw my tank was running low on water and my rodi reserve was empty... I was heading out for the night and thought I would quickly add some Rodi water so I put the Rodi tube directly into the sump... I had just checked my stats all good salinity 1.025
I forgot to turn off the water before I left and it ran all night. It filled my sump, my refugium and flooded my floor... I realized it this morning but had to be at work for an important meeting... I did get to check the salinity and temp... Temp 77.1 but salinity was 1.019....i know it's not a deadly level for fish or coral in itself but what about the change overnight... Am I going to come home to dead fish and corals??? Should I leave work and try to get the salinity back up? Will that help or make things worse...?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

freddybnj2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 08:52 AM   #2
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Can someone run by your place for you and check the salinity? If you work is okay with you running by to check on it that would be best.

Temp is okay, you just don't want to rush the swing from the low salinity back to the correct 1.025. It'll just add additional stress.

Just my .02 - hopefully someone else can jump in here.

Unread 02/06/2018, 09:00 AM   #3
freddybnj2004
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZilla04 View Post
Can someone run by your place for you and check the salinity? If you work is okay with you running by to check on it that would be best.

Temp is okay, you just don't want to rush the swing from the low salinity back to the correct 1.025. It'll just add additional stress.

Just my .02 - hopefully someone else can jump in here.
I checked before I left and it was at 1.019 I was thinking I would pump 15 gallons out onto a tub, adds although to 1.030 and then make room by pumping out an additional tub then return the water with the extra salt added... Then repeat tomorrow

Unread 02/06/2018, 09:04 AM   #4
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

The drop to 1.019 is fine. Do not bring it back up quickly. Animals can handle a drop but not an increase.

Your best way to increase salinity is to top off with saltwater until you are back at 1.025. It’s okay if this takes a week or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 09:05 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

yep.. just put saltwater into your ATO container and let it rise back up slowly that way..

Unread 02/06/2018, 09:07 AM   #6
freddybnj2004
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
yep.. just put saltwater into your ATO container and let it rise back up slowly that way..
Thanks all... I feel a lot better... Still feel stupid as a rock but better.... Lol

Unread 02/06/2018, 10:24 AM   #7
freddybnj2004
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterOfJustice View Post
The drop to 1.019 is fine. Do not bring it back up quickly. Animals can handle a drop but not an increase.

Your best way to increase salinity is to top off with saltwater until you are back at 1.025. It’s okay if this takes a week or more.

One more question... When you say the animals can handle 1.019, are you also referring to corals and inverts or just fish?

Thanks again.

Unread 02/06/2018, 10:47 AM   #8
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

Everything including inverts and corals will be fine at 1.019.

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 11:58 AM   #9
bertoni
RC Mod

Most of the animals should tolerate a brief drop to 1.019 SG, but corals and other invertebrates will be affected more than fish. Fish can regulate their internal SG, so they have more of a buffer. I'd bring the SG back up over a few days or so. That's a bit faster than I'd usually recommend, but the animals haven't been at that SG for long, and 1.019 is very low for corals.

Unread 02/06/2018, 02:37 PM   #10
freddybnj2004
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
Most of the animals should tolerate a brief drop to 1.019 SG, but corals and other invertebrates will be affected more than fish. Fish can regulate their internal SG, so they have more of a buffer. I'd bring the SG back up over a few days or so. That's a bit faster than I'd usually recommend, but the animals haven't been at that SG for long, and 1.019 is very low for corals.
Thanks again

Unread 02/06/2018, 03:07 PM   #11
bertoni
RC Mod

You're welcome! Good luck! I suspect that the tank will be fine.

Unread 02/06/2018, 06:22 PM   #12
freddybnj2004
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
You're welcome! Good luck! I suspect that the tank will be fine.
Hey all... Another big Thank you to all of you... You were all correct and everyone seems to be fine!!! I did pump out 20+ gallons and have it in tubs with a heater and power heads and I pumped it up to 1.028... I will be using it to replenish my sump as it evaporates... I did do about 5 gallons which I also pumped up to 1.028 and put it back into my refugium which mixes with my sump at a very slow rate...everything looks fine and I'm sitting at 1.020...
Disaster averted!!! Thx

Unread 02/06/2018, 07:17 PM   #13
bertoni
RC Mod

I'm glad to hear that the tank is doing well.

Unread 02/07/2018, 01:53 PM   #14
HBtank
Premium Member

There is one certainty, withstanding an automatic switch, everyone will leave their ro-di running at some point. Read your first sentence or two and groaned when I knew what happened...

Glad to hear it worked out!

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 02:00 PM   #15
freddybnj2004
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBtank View Post
There is one certainty, withstanding an automatic switch, everyone will leave their ro-di running at some point. Read your first sentence or two and groaned when I knew what happened...

Glad to hear it worked out!
Its funny but I have a rule that I 99.99% follow and that is that I NEVER fill the sump or refugium directly for exactly that reason.... Tank is in my finished downstairs level and the floor is simple tile on concrete so I don't like floods but it's not the end of the world but filing the system is... Lol!