Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/17/2014, 04:47 PM   #401
Forgiven1973
Registered Member

Meant mixed in with some of my cheato. May have alittle still in display but most of the corals that browned out r getting back some color besides a few that died

Forgiven1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2014, 04:47 PM   #402
jedimasterben
LED world domination!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montireef View Post
I have been messing around with the microscope to find that one drop of H2O2 at 3% (10 vol) quickly kills all the ostreopsis in 50 ml.

As 1 ml equals about 43 drops, it means that I could kill all the pest with just 0,35 gal of H2O2. As H2O2 is very very unstable, I presume it won't last long in the aquarium as to hurt higher creatures such as fish or inverts.

I will go with half dose tonight when the dinos swim free in the water. Wish me luck...
Unfortunately it doesn't really work that way. At its peak, I was dosing 300mL of peroxide into my tank three times daily with basically no effect. My total system volume is around 90-100 gallons. You'll never be able to make sure each cell is touched by the peroxide. I know it works in theory, but in practice it just doesn't work.

Current Tank Info: Acquasole 60, IceCap 15 Sump, 2x Maxspect Ethereal, Coral Box D500 skimmer, Maxspect Gyre 150, Jecod DCS-5000
jedimasterben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2014, 05:11 PM   #403
DNA
Registered Member

Quote:
Confirmed on the microscope: I have ostreopsis sp in my 700 gal system.
I wonder what are the circumstances that trigger cyst conception.
This thread has lots of info on Ostreopsis.
You should take a better look before you act.

Here you can read all about cysts.
They are made in defense to survive through hard times.
http://www.mdpi.com/2076-2607/2/1/11/htm

DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2014, 06:08 PM   #404
Montireef
Registered Member

Thank you for your piece of advise, DNA. I have read the whole thread, the 17 pages.

I had also read the article you are linking. They state that most dinoflagellates make cysts as a response to hard times. What if live in my aquarium is nice and quiet? no temperature or salinity oscillations, no change in nutrient levels, no predators...it could happen that they don't make cysts, who knows...

People are reporting some kind of success dosing 1 ml per 10 gal of system volume. I am dosing x50 that amount with no visible effect on fishes or inverts two hours later.

Montireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2014, 01:38 AM   #405
Montireef
Registered Member

Four hours later I repeated the same dosage of H2O2. No effect on fish, inverts nor dinoflagellates.

I will take out all the livestock and nuke the whole system.

Unread 11/18/2014, 06:40 AM   #406
jedimasterben
LED world domination!

Quote:
Four hours later I repeated the same dosage of H2O2. No effect on fish, inverts nor dinoflagellates.

I will take out all the livestock and nuke the whole system.
If that is what you do, then luckily you don't need to use peroxide or bleach or anything, just fresh water. Do keep in mind, though, that any livestock you transfer back as far as invertebrates go can very easily bring them back in, even if you dip them in fresh water beforehand and such, this is how they made it back into my system

Current Tank Info: Acquasole 60, IceCap 15 Sump, 2x Maxspect Ethereal, Coral Box D500 skimmer, Maxspect Gyre 150, Jecod DCS-5000
Unread 11/18/2014, 06:57 AM   #407
davidfrances
Registered Member

Dino spores are everywhere, including in the gut of any coral, fish or invert you introduce to your system. Nuking is a good option to reset your tank.

Once you have recycled, proper nutrient control using skimmers, GFO, activated carbon, water changes, etc. are how you prevent Dino's from taking over your system again.

I nuked my 250G because of Dino's, and the cycle is now finished. I intend to begin adding fish shortly.

davidfrances is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2014, 07:32 AM   #408
sh8g8delik
Registered Member

I am also dealing with Dino's at the moment. Looks similar to the Ostreopsis with the naked eye but not 100% sure. I'm on the verge of upgrading a whole new tank with bleached and acid dip rocks that has been cycling in a brute for almost 1 month. My questions are for all you Dino Expert. Can i reuse the water from my current aquarium now for my new? I'm guessing no since it has dinos floating in it. There are a few corals i would like to frag and keep for my new tank. Can i frag them and dip them in freshwater to be placed in my new tank or is that running a very high chance of contaminating my new system? Or should i just chalk it up as a lost and just let everything die out and start a whole new system from fresh? I also have a few fishes i would like to keep and don't want it to "let it go" in the old system. But from what people say, they can still carry the dreaded dino in its gills. Thank you in advance for your assistance. It is very close to go time with the new tank.

Also i have a sump and equipments that i will be transferring over to the new tank. I would probably be cleaning it with vinegar and drying it out beforehand. Is that safe enough or would i need to use bleach? Thanks again.

sh8g8delik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2014, 08:08 AM   #409
codyreed29
Registered Member

I have l8ghts out my tank im thinking i might complete teardown and freshsaltwater clean my inverts.

Unread 11/18/2014, 08:08 AM   #410
codyreed29
Registered Member

I also perpxided this tank third day today.

Unread 11/18/2014, 12:09 PM   #411
Montireef
Registered Member

System nuked.

More than $6.000 in lifestock lost. Really sad day.

From now on everything that comes in the system will be dipped, quarantined and checked under microscope.

Unread 11/18/2014, 01:25 PM   #412
DNA
Registered Member

Montireef it sounds like you lost everything because of heavy peroxide dozing.
Could you please explain what happened so fellow reefers can learn from it.

Bloody dinoflagellates!

Unread 11/18/2014, 02:35 PM   #413
Montireef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
Montireef it sounds like you lost everything because of heavy peroxide dozing.
Could you please explain what happened so fellow reefers can learn from it.

Bloody dinoflagellates!
Not really. H2O2 didn't harm any fish or invert at all even at that high dosage.

I dipped 80% of my livestock (the most valuable acros and LPSs) in fresh water (10 seconds aprox). and then placed in a big tank with a circulation pump, a heater and some ROX0,8 activated charcoal. Some of my most delicate acros like a Jackelinae, echinatas, ciphrastrea... died soon after; there are still some alive but not sure about them). The other 20% isn't sterilized and is sitting in another tank with the same water and dinos but oddly not showing signals of their existence.

I nuked all the tanks, pipes, skimmer, reactors...with cold fresh water and a heavy dose of peroxide. Tomorrow I will drain it away and start filling up with RI/OR water.

Don't know what to do with the surviving corals, maybe selling them.

I feel really bummed, some acros stayed with me for more than ten years.

Unread 11/18/2014, 03:20 PM   #414
bertoni
RC Mod

I'm sorry to hear about your losses. It's informative to hear that such a short dip seems to have killed some Acropora.

Unread 11/18/2014, 05:19 PM   #415
Montireef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your losses. It's informative to hear that such a short dip seems to have killed some Acropora.
We must bear in mind that although they were highly acclimated acroporas, they had suffered quite a lot: blackout period, rising nitrates from 0 to 25 ppm (they rapidly turned brown turds), dinoxal, algae-x, H2O2, amoxicilline, turkey-baster, pump cleaning...I tried almost anything with little to none success and they put up with it with hardly any complaint.

Unread 11/18/2014, 05:54 PM   #416
sh8g8delik
Registered Member

Quote:
Not really. H2O2 didn't harm any fish or invert at all even at that high dosage.

I dipped 80% of my livestock (the most valuable acros and LPSs) in fresh water (10 seconds aprox). and then placed in a big tank with a circulation pump, a heater and some ROX0,8 activated charcoal. Some of my most delicate acros like a Jackelinae, echinatas, ciphrastrea... died soon after; there are still some alive but not sure about them). The other 20% isn't sterilized and is sitting in another tank with the same water and dinos but oddly not showing signals of their existence.
So there's a glimmer of hope for my corals then since some of your corals survived the freshwater dip? I have a few acros, really big leather, a nice half ball of acans, an Australian golden torch coral along with a Rbta that I am thinking about dipping in freshwater.

Montireef how did your fish fair? I'm assuming your corals and fishes are now in a hospital tank? How is it looking in there? Dino's rearing its head?

Unread 11/18/2014, 06:20 PM   #417
Montireef
Registered Member

My fish are very stressed and bummed. Some corals seem to be doing well, but others are gonners (depends on how healthy and strong they were before de dip)

Unread 11/19/2014, 01:32 AM   #418
DNA
Registered Member

Bear in mind the coral and dino symbiosis when you dip in freshwater.
Of course it's a bad idea, but I understand those that give it a try.

Unread 11/19/2014, 02:15 AM   #419
sh8g8delik
Registered Member

I forgot about that.....so focused on killing the bad dino's and forget that there are other ones that help corals thrive.

Unread 11/19/2014, 04:45 AM   #420
Montireef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
Bear in mind the coral and dino symbiosis when you dip in freshwater.
Of course it's a bad idea, but I understand those that give it a try.
Right, but as zooxanthela are under the skin I presume they are hardier, so a quick dip shouldn't kill them all.

Unread 11/19/2014, 09:41 AM   #421
jedimasterben
LED world domination!

Quote:
Right, but as zooxanthela are under the skin I presume they are hardier, so a quick dip shouldn't kill them all.
The dip won't kill any of them - nor will it kill any of your problem dinoflagellates that are inside your coral at the time that will be excreted later.

Unread 11/19/2014, 05:04 PM   #422
Montireef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimasterben View Post
The dip won't kill any of them - nor will it kill any of your problem dinoflagellates that are inside your coral at the time that will be excreted later.
Then, how can we prevent this dinos from entering in the aquarium? Is there any dip or way to keep them away?

Unread 11/19/2014, 05:13 PM   #423
sh8g8delik
Registered Member

Yea this is very disheartening. Does this mean we'll have to chalk all the livestock and corals up as a loss? For fear of contaminating a new startup tank?

Unread 11/19/2014, 05:18 PM   #424
Montireef
Registered Member

Perhaps it is just as easy as not triggering them to bloom. Maybe keeping nitrates slightly over 0 ppm or pH high.

Unread 11/20/2014, 12:28 PM   #425
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Can someone post or repost pics of Dino's in your tank. IMO that's very important to know the algae you have is Dino's before deciding on a treatment
Tks Scotty

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote