Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/26/2018, 09:31 PM   #1
sil40sx
Registered Member

Help: Zoa fungus/disease?

Hello everyone. Need help identifying these white dots with tiny hair on my zoas. I noticed they haven't been open all the way for the past few days, upon closer inspection, I saw these white dots. They dont appear to be zoa pox (I think), because they are tiny and have hair. I don't know if I start treating with furan, lugol's, bayer dips, or peroxide, because I dont know what they are.

BTW, I have other zoas and they are all doing fine. Just these bowsers have this issue. No change on water parameters or temp swings.

I appreciate any help. Thanks!

sil40sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2018, 11:39 AM   #2
sil40sx
Registered Member

Anyone?

Unread 02/27/2018, 12:19 PM   #3
eastlake
Registered Member

Could it possibly be some kind of bryozoans or other parasitic sponge growing on it? How long have you had the frag and where did you get it from? I've heard of people doing brief freshwater dips to "wash" pests off. I also saw a what appeared to be a similar situation mentioned on wet web media that suggested that this could be a response to some kind of allelopathy.

eastlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2018, 12:54 PM   #4
sil40sx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastlake View Post
Could it possibly be some kind of bryozoans or other parasitic sponge growing on it? How long have you had the frag and where did you get it from? I've heard of people doing brief freshwater dips to "wash" pests off. I also saw a what appeared to be a similar situation mentioned on wet web media that suggested that this could be a response to some kind of allelopathy.

Heading down to LFS later. You think coral rx or revive will take care of those stuff you mentioned?

Got the frag couple months ago, it was only one polyp, it grew fast and very healthy. I actually fragged it couple of times already, and it’s fine all the time. But didn’t cut it recently though.

Unread 02/28/2018, 07:47 AM   #5
eastlake
Registered Member

In a way I had hoped that it was a new frag and the fuzz was a hitch hiker that had stowed away and not something that had developed in the tank, but since you've had it for a bit I'm not totally sure. I can't see any harm in dipping it in coral rx or revive but I can't say for sure that it'll will work, but if they're beginning to not open then nothing ventured nothing gained. I would also consider a brief (1 minute, same temp pH as the tank) freshwater dip if revive or rx don't take care of it.

Unread 02/28/2018, 10:05 AM   #6
sil40sx
Registered Member

I used revived last night, let’s see it it opens up today. Though, I didn’t see any pest after dipping it, just usual pods.

Unread 02/28/2018, 11:14 AM   #7
eastlake
Registered Member

I'll cross my fingers for you

Unread 03/02/2018, 08:48 AM   #8
eastlake
Registered Member

Whats the word? Did they open back up for you?

Unread 03/14/2018, 01:18 AM   #9
sil40sx
Registered Member

Quote:
Whats the word? Did they open back up for you?
Sorry, forgot to check back in this thread. Unfortunately, no change. Still half way closed. I dosed Vit C, dipped with revived, water change, dosed iodine, replaced Carbon/GFO, move them to lower light, lower flow, put all my snails, hermit and blue legged crabs in the sump, still nada

Unread 03/21/2018, 06:31 AM   #10
eastlake
Registered Member

That's so weird. I wonder if it's something that can retract into the tissue of the zoa to protect itself. I wish I had some other ideas for you but the only thing I might start to worry about, if it were my tank, is will/can this spread to the other zoas?

Unread 03/22/2018, 08:51 AM   #11
Jone
Registered Member

forget the Revive dip,,will do nothing for it,,looks to be algae and something else...do a peroxide dip only now...research how and what to do for a peroxide dip on the forum or internet.

Jone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 11:50 PM   #12
sil40sx
Registered Member

Quote:
That's so weird. I wonder if it's something that can retract into the tissue of the zoa to protect itself. I wish I had some other ideas for you but the only thing I might start to worry about, if it were my tank, is will/can this spread to the other zoas?

I might figured out what happened, so the other day, I checked my nitrates and it is zero, usually I have them between 1 and 3, so I dosed KNO3 two days ago, and looks like its helping because they are open a little better for the past 2 months for the first time. And thats the only change I did, and I saw an improvement. Anecdotal or not, I'll keep checking my nitrates, and maintain dosing if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jone View Post
forget the Revive dip,,will do nothing for it,,looks to be algae and something else...do a peroxide dip only now...research how and what to do for a peroxide dip on the forum or internet.
Yep, I did revive couple times, and didn't see any improvement. But see post above, hopefully it's going to keep on improving.

PS: I apologize, but I don't know why I don't get notification on this thread, hence I don't see it and wasn't able to reply.

Unread 04/19/2018, 06:22 AM   #13
eastlake
Registered Member

That's awesome that they're beginning to open up again! Even more so that they didn't melt down from being closed up for as long as they were. Isn't it incredible how knowledge and views of reef keeping have changed just in a few years? I mean by comparison to the, everything must be zero in you tank, to people now dosing nitrates and phosphates to keep corals colored up.

Unread 04/20/2018, 01:37 PM   #14
sil40sx
Registered Member

Yup, I know. Thanks.

I’ll take pics later, they’re still progressing. Looks more open today, like 80% open.