Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/09/2009, 02:12 PM   #1
miwoodar
Likey the bikey

Coralline Stimulator by Florida Aqua Farms, what is it?

I saw a post that mentioned a product called Coralline Stimulator by Florida Aqua Farms. I have plenty of coralline through regular Ca/alk/Mag maintenance but I'm curious to know if anyone has any knowledge of this product. What is it made of?

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...6#post14109846

https://3kserver7.com/~frank/secure/agora.cgi

On hiatus. I'm either out riding my bicycle, playing with my family, or throwing ferts in my planted tank. Or working. I hope I'm not doing that though.

Current Tank Info: 140 DIY Cube
miwoodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2009, 02:57 PM   #2
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

Most such products don't tell you exactly how much of what is in them, but often they contain some magnesium, calcium, and a variety of other stuff, little of which can be proven to accelerate coralline algae in properly maintained reef tanks.

This is what they claim, which IMO, is not convincing to use it, but some of the ingredients may be useful:

CORALLINE STIMULATORâ„¢
Coralline Stimulator is a complete, soluble, stable source of supplemental trace metals and essential vitamins. Principally formulated for enhancing growth and all colors of corals and other invertebrates. Stimulates zooxanthellae growth (microalgae) found in invertebrate tissues such as corals, anemones and clams. Retards hair algae. Does not alter pH. Use in either fresh or saltwater. Use in conjunction with reef formers of calcium hydroxide and strontium chloride. This exact formula has been used by researchers at Florida Aqua Farms Inc. for over 20 years. Primary nutrients, nitrate and phosphate, are purposely limited in Coralline Stimulator since it is intended for use in aquaria that have established populations of fish and/or invertebrates that are routinely fed. Metabolism of waste products from these animals normally provide sufficient levels of nitrate and phosphate. Coralline Stimulator is enriched with chelated iron, iodide, strontium and other essential trace metals and vitamins including B12, biotin, and thiamin. Formulated and manufactured by FAF.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Randy Holmes-Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2009, 03:13 PM   #3
miwoodar
Likey the bikey

Sorry, I guess the link to their site didn't work. Yes, I found the same description. Marketing mumbo jumbo. Placebo?

On hiatus. I'm either out riding my bicycle, playing with my family, or throwing ferts in my planted tank. Or working. I hope I'm not doing that though.

Current Tank Info: 140 DIY Cube
miwoodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2009, 12:26 PM   #4
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

It may be helpful, but I wouldn't count on it.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Randy Holmes-Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2017, 06:50 AM   #5
dubes14
Registered Member

This stuff is the best

I know this is an old thread but if anyone comes across it, I have used this for years and it is way better than purple up. I contains all trace elements. my corals and coralline love it as well as crabs. My crabs and shrimp consistently grow and molt shortly after dosing with this. I don't use it often, maybe a small dose once a month but its the best. One of only two additives I use.

dubes14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2017, 07:06 AM   #6
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubes14 View Post
I know this is an old thread but if anyone comes across it, I have used this for years and it is way better than purple up. I contains all trace elements. my corals and coralline love it as well as crabs. My crabs and shrimp consistently grow and molt shortly after dosing with this. I don't use it often, maybe a small dose once a month but its the best. One of only two additives I use.
First post and you are necro-ing a 6 year old thread about a specific product. I'd call you a shill but they are such an established well reputable company I'd doubt that would be the case

Personally never seen the need for a coraline product, but if I'd pick one, I'd probably go with theirs, just based on their no nonsense reputation.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2017, 10:41 AM   #7
ReeferNoob4ever
Registered Member

What is it?? A gimmick that will most likely throw your parameters out of whack.

Current Tank Info: 20gL mixed reef, 10g mixed reef w/nem & clown, 5g NPS & harlequin
ReeferNoob4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2017, 03:48 PM   #8
bertoni
RC Mod

In theory, such a product might help in some cases, but I am skeptical about trace element supplements.

Unread 11/03/2017, 04:34 PM   #9
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeferNoob4ever View Post
What is it?? A gimmick that will most likely throw your parameters out of whack.

I mean I have no experience with it. But I do with Florida Aqua Farms. They are definitely legit and not some flashy snake oil company. Is the supplement needed? Probably not, but I'd bet on theirs doing more than most others.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2017, 02:03 PM   #10
smatter
Registered Member

Welcome to Reef Central. Don't let the rude people discourage you.

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote