Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/10/2008, 11:38 PM   #1
XxRyosukexX
Registered Member

Reef Type Pipefish

Do you see them often in the open or do they hide in rocks and you'll be lucky to catch a glimpse of them?

XxRyosukexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2008, 12:36 AM   #2
pledosophy
Registered Member

they hide more often then not IME.

Unread 11/11/2008, 06:09 AM   #3
landlord
Registered Member

I have a yellow multibanded pipe who is out an about all day long. I also have a banded pipefish that only peeks out every so ofter. I used to have a pair of dragonface pipes that lounged around on the liverock and sandbed all day as well.

They really do not have any enemies harassing them so maybe that is why I get to see them so often.

--landlord

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon SPS Reef (Sump, Fuge, Skimmer, CX reactor, Chemical filtration, Overflow) by Lifereef, 2x400W 20K Radiums on IceCaps, 2x39W T5 "For fun", RK2, 4x Tunze 6055, Aqua Logic 1/3 HP Chiller, DIY RO/DI ATO 2-Part via Litermeter. Lotsa Clownfish
landlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2008, 09:25 AM   #4
Psychographic
Registered Member

My Dragon Face is out all of the time, my Banded about 30% and my Bluestripe, never, I have to look through the rocks to see if it is still in the tank.

Psychographic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2008, 10:50 AM   #5
XxRyosukexX
Registered Member

Did you guys manage to wean them on to frozen food or are they still eating live pods?

Unread 11/11/2008, 02:42 PM   #6
rayjay
Registered Member

My three yellow banded's are out all the time. Two swim always together and the third is strictly on it's own.
I have one eating chunks off the PE Mysis, as well as feeding on something in the Cyclopeeze but not everything in it.
The other two at this point, just something in the Cyclopeeze.
When I first got them I mixed in Cyclopeeze in with the live rotifers and brine shrimp nauplii and eventually they started to eat something of it.
Hopefully I can get them on to frozen brine and mysis.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2008, 06:04 AM   #7
landlord
Registered Member

Both of mine hunt for pods all day but they have each learned to take Frozen Cyclopeeze. I could never get my dragon face pipe to eat it.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon SPS Reef (Sump, Fuge, Skimmer, CX reactor, Chemical filtration, Overflow) by Lifereef, 2x400W 20K Radiums on IceCaps, 2x39W T5 "For fun", RK2, 4x Tunze 6055, Aqua Logic 1/3 HP Chiller, DIY RO/DI ATO 2-Part via Litermeter. Lotsa Clownfish
landlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2008, 01:31 PM   #8
XxRyosukexX
Registered Member

My gf really liked the dragon face pipefish so I got two. They were out eating pods as soon as I put them in my tank. Then I woke up this morning and my pistol shrimp got them.

I have some live prawn in the tank for the pistol shrimp to eat, but I guess he wanted 2 twigs to eat instead.

It was stupid of me to get them, but I thought since the shrimp was always in his cave he wouldn't cause any trouble.