Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 11/11/2017, 05:39 PM   #1
SaltmanBasssa
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 31
Wonky Parameters

Guys -

Some wonky parameters I am trying to figure out.

Tank: red sea reefer 450 (92 gal), Radion XR30w, Reef Octopus Regal 150-int,
Sal: 1.0245 (32.5 - Apex)
Temp: 77.8 (Apex)
PHOS: 0 - API kit
Nitrate: 0 -API kit
Calc:450 -Red Sea
PH: 8.18 (Apex probe)

Here we go: Alk - 9.5-9.8, Mag: 1800! Yes, 1800! (both RED SEA kit)

I've been running the tank for about 10 months, have seen SPS very healthy (mushrooms, leathers), any LPS - bubble, open brain, have all suffered greatly. Also, no healthy Coraline algae growth (desired) at all.

TONS of "pineapple" sponges in the sump!

Using AquaForest Sea Salt, however, not performing regular water changes (only occasional)- RODI

Would love some help and recommendations -

THANKS!


SaltmanBasssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2017, 06:02 PM   #2
hegeh
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 103
Nutrient too low for lps since you said its suffered. Coralline algae is nuisance but its nice to have on rocks only. Overall its good imo.. let mg down by its self and wc. Happy sps happy reefer

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk


hegeh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2017, 06:04 PM   #3
hegeh
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 103
"I've been running the tank for about 10 months, have seen SPS very healthy (mushrooms, leathers)"

These are not sps..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk


hegeh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2017, 03:23 PM   #4
bertoni
RC Mod
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Mountain View, CA, USA
Posts: 86,907
I might consider some water changes with a lower-magnesium salt product, but those levels are fine as is. Is there any coralline in the tank at all? You might need to seed the tank with a variety that will grow with the lighting that you have. I had issues with that when I upgraded lighting on a small tank.


__________________
Jonathan Bertoni
bertoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2017, 07:38 PM   #5
SaltmanBasssa
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltmanBasssa View Post
Guys -

Some wonky parameters I am trying to figure out.

Tank: red sea reefer 450 (92 gal), Radion XR30w, Reef Octopus Regal 150-int,
Sal: 1.0245 (32.5 - Apex)
Temp: 77.8 (Apex)
PHOS: 0 - API kit
Nitrate: 0 -API kit
Calc:450 -Red Sea
PH: 8.18 (Apex probe)

Here we go: Alk - 9.5-9.8, Mag: 1800! Yes, 1800! (both RED SEA kit)

I've been running the tank for about 10 months, have seen SPS very healthy (mushrooms, leathers), any LPS - bubble, open brain, have all suffered greatly. Also, no healthy Coraline algae growth (desired) at all.

TONS of "pineapple" sponges in the sump!

Using AquaForest Sea Salt, however, not performing regular water changes (only occasional)- RODI

Would love some help and recommendations -

THANKS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
I might consider some water changes with a lower-magnesium salt product, but those levels are fine as is. Is there any coralline in the tank at all? You might need to seed the tank with a variety that will grow with the lighting that you have. I had issues with that when I upgraded lighting on a small tank.
Bertoni - what type of "seed" coraline would you recommend under LED's? is there a specific I might need to seed with? Might I consider some additional 'live rock' already seeded?

thanks for the advice - currently NO coraline is visible in the tank.


SaltmanBasssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2017, 10:02 PM   #6
fszlin
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Vaughan, ON, Canada
Posts: 1
I am also getting high Mag reading from red sea kit.
Was using the red sea coral pro salt come with the reefer, then regular IO, but Mag remain around 1750-1800.

What’s your reagent lot #? Mine is 526…


fszlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2017, 01:57 PM   #7
bertoni
RC Mod
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Mountain View, CA, USA
Posts: 86,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltmanBasssa View Post
Bertoni - what type of "seed" coraline would you recommend under LED's? is there a specific I might need to seed with? Might I consider some additional 'live rock' already seeded?
We don't have much data on the subject, but there appear to be different strains of coralline that do well under different lighting. If you could find a tank with coralline growing under lights similar to your own, that'd probably work. You could consider getting a chunk of live rock or "coralline boosters" from various vendors. Coralline doesn't seem to spread as easily as bacteria, so you'll need to add some from some source.


__________________
Jonathan Bertoni
bertoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:04 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.