Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/12/2018, 08:08 AM   #1
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

Good plan?

So I have decided that I want a mantis shrimp after watching one a larger peacock mantis at the lfs the other day. We both stared at each other for about 10 minutes basically mesmerized with each other. It was going about it’s business, but watching me closely.

I don’t have the space to set up a tank for a peacock, and my wife would kill me if I added a third tank into the house that size, so after some research I have decided to go with a N. Wennerae. This is my current plan if anyone can review it and critique it;

1. 5 gallon glass tank (16”x8”x10”) I would build a small plastic divider to go in the rear corner, sort of an all in one type of overflow, that would house a 15- 25 watt heater and return pump.

2. For the return pump I am thinking a maxijet 400 (currently own) with standard locline return nozzle. Will this be enough flow for the tank? If not I may hide the heater somewhere else and leave the overflow out and just put a Koralia nano on one side.

3. DIY screen top to keep the shrimp in and my son’s hands out.

4. 3-5 lbs of live rock with more rubble spread about for building stuff.

5. 2-3” of substrate. I’m looking for suggestions for type and if this is enough.

6. Lighting. I currently have a 90 gallon mixed reef running gen 4 radion xr15 pros and a biocube 29 dwarf lionfish tank with 2 AI prime hd lights that will be ordered to replace its current light because it doesn’t provide enough light for the corals I want in there. Basically I am stating that the mantis tank will not need strong lights for corals now or down the road. I have enough of that to handle in the other tanks I really don’t need a third coral tank. For this one I am thinking of using a Current Marine Orbit strip light that I have over the lion tank or maybe a par 30 bulb over half the tank so one half stays more shadowed.

7. No mechanical filtration. This tank will sit on a stand next to my 90 gallon reef tank. My plan is to switch a gallon of water from the mantis tank and reef tank daily or every few days as needed to keep water quality in line. The reef can handle cleaning the nitrates and phosphates of this tank no problem. At first my plan was to plumb the mantis tank into the 90’s system, but this seems much easier and truthfully more cost efficient.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef. Biocube 29 lionfish tank. Mantis tank.
Crooked Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2018, 09:30 PM   #2
mndfreeze
Invert Sexy Time!

Looks good to me. With a tank that small water quality is really the biggest concern but you seem to have that planned out. Mantis are pretty messy eaters and some bury parts of their prey they dont finish so you definitely want to keep an eye on your water quality.

It might not hurt to try to get some sort of filtration into the system even if its just a little crappy HOB option, but as long as you keep up on the water changes I dont think its necessary.

Since its not going to be a coral tank at all, you might want to consider using fully uncured live rock from tampabaysaltwater. They are a sponsor here. Its expensive to ship but the amount of life on those rocks is astonishing and you might even get a wennerae without having to pay haha.

For substrate, various grain sand, lots of rubble and shells, and good rock should be more then sufficient. You might want to try to scape it in a way that gives lots of good hidey holes for him to build a burrow out of, or put in some PVC.

mndfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2018, 11:56 AM   #3
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

The plan has changed a little. I’m bumping it to a 10 gallon tank so it adds a few species I can choose from. I actually have one picked out that I asked for id on. Sent my wife to buy it Aden’s we were going to let it live in the sump/five of the reef tank until the new tank is up and cycled, which won’t take long because I have extra rock already cured and ready to go. It will just be new sand that needs to cycle with the tank basically.

Funny story though, my wife got to the lfs that I had been talking to about the shrimp. They knew she was on the way so they tried to catch it before she got there. It jumped the wall and went into a drain that connects their small invert tanks, maybe 20 tanks on the back wall of the store. They were tearing drains apart trying to find it when she got there. Now they are holding it for me when and if they ever find it.

Unread 04/14/2018, 01:48 AM   #4
mndfreeze
Invert Sexy Time!

Sounds like a good plan to me! Thats hillarious that it got into the pipe network. LFS I went to today for the first time had a little wennerae in their micro cube small invert setup that easily could have fit in the piping as well. haha. I almost took him/her home with me.

mndfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 06:09 PM   #5
Kharsin
Registered Member

I'm glad to find this thread! I've been researching the Peacock, but I don't think I'm going to have the room/budget for a 40gal or so. I'm actually considering the Innovative Marine 10 Gallon NUVO Fusion. What species would do well in something this size?

Current Tank Info: Wife has a 37 gallon freshwater | 7.9 gallon freshwater | dreams of a pico reef (in progress)
Kharsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 09:26 PM   #6
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthrop...raca/royslist/

This list is in a sticky above. Click on the species and it will give you some info on each. Neogonodactylus wennerae may be the easiest to find as it come in on live rock from Florida, is hardy and active. Tampa Bay Saltwater has them, but the problem is shipping costs. Your LFS may be able to special order one though. You will likely pay a bit more than online vendors for the animal, but you won’t have insane shipping costs. They are good in a 5 gallon tank so a 10 would be even better for it. The footprint of a 10 gallon isn’t much bigger and they can be had for just a few dollars more.

Unread 04/23/2018, 10:11 PM   #7
Kharsin
Registered Member

Thanks for the info! We probably have one LFS (which is questionable) other than standard big box stores. However, there are quite a few within a couple hour's distance that I could probably go through. I'm going to do a bit more research... Much appreciated!

Current Tank Info: Wife has a 37 gallon freshwater | 7.9 gallon freshwater | dreams of a pico reef (in progress)
Unread 04/24/2018, 04:17 AM   #8
Hadla
Mantis Whisperer

I noticed you’re in Louisiana! When I was back in thibodaux for a wedding in June of last year, the store Aqua Hut in Prarieville had what I swear was either a glabrous or a ternatensis. You can try them or if you’d want a wennerae, try saltybottomreefcompany.com!

Puffer, octopus, and mantis shrimp fanatic!
Hadla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 06:13 AM   #9
Kharsin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadla View Post
I noticed you’re in Louisiana! When I was back in thibodaux for a wedding in June of last year, the store Aqua Hut in Prarieville had what I swear was either a glabrous or a ternatensis. You can try them or if you’d want a wennerae, try saltybottomreefcompany.com!
Hmmm... I may have to check it out when I'm in that neck of the woods. I'm a Texas side Louisianian Baton Rouge is pretty much equidistant from Houston, so we can go either way. Thanks for the info!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Unread 04/24/2018, 06:15 AM   #10
Hadla
Mantis Whisperer

Yep! Just call them to see if they have any mantises then ask for pictures to be sent to you! That’s how I found out but wasn’t able to get it to bring home with me

Here’s the thread where I posted pics: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2639987

Unread 04/24/2018, 06:36 AM   #11
Kharsin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadla View Post
Yep! Just call them to see if they have any mantises then ask for pictures to be sent to you! That’s how I found out but wasn’t able to get it to bring home with me

Here’s the thread where I posted pics: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2639987
I still need to pick a tank and cycle it, but I'll definitely have to give them a call when I'm done. It's going to be a while but I'm sure I'll post something once the process starts. Right now I'm working on getting parts for a reef jar experiment with my son. However I do want a mantis so we're going to work towards those ends as well

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Unread 04/24/2018, 08:50 AM   #12
Hadla
Mantis Whisperer

Cool, good luck