Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/06/2017, 01:58 PM   #2426
soulpatch
Registered Member

Skimmer and socks all day every day. Balls will need to be removed and cleaned at times or else they could be a potential nitrate issue.

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2017, 02:05 PM   #2427
homer1475
Registered Member

Are bioballs even a thing anymore? I don't think I've seen them for sale anywhere in 10 years, although admittedly I haven't looked either.

Space for an ATS if I were to do it again. In the 55 or 80G the space left for a refugium is so small it's not really worth the effort. I would use the extra space in the sump for skimmer, socks, and an algae turf scrubber. Skip the refugium/macro idea altogether.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2017, 02:22 PM   #2428
ksmmike
Registered Member

Thanks Homer,

You guys are good at spending my money. LOL.. via the algae scrubber and the
shadow or ghost overflow. I was considering a small refugium mostly for the pods.

As far as the bioballs, I'd rather stay away because I don't feel like cleaning them, tho I guess the socks have to be cleaned even more? I'll check into the algae scrubber.
My LFS was pushing the Eshopps sumps earlier today when I went by to get fresh water
for my water change. Any thoughts? He was high on them, but that's the brand they sell.

Thanks again
Mike

ps.. I'm waiting on the quote from Steve, then I'll pull the trigger since he said its about a 10 week wait on anything custom, even adding the holes for the ghost overflow.

ksmmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2017, 02:37 PM   #2429
soulpatch
Registered Member

depends on the eshopps sump but for the money I think there are better options like Trigger personally.

I disagree with homer about the small space making it moot point. The small footprint just changes the type of macro. You will likely be more into culpera, ulva, and the like as opposed to chateo. Though with various types of sumps or custom they have decent sized fuge sections.

And as for the socks yes they need cleaned often but you can go with mesh sock which last longer and still filter out larger items. I run them and rinse once every 2 week or so...

Unread 11/06/2017, 02:43 PM   #2430
homer1475
Registered Member

Sumps are so simple to make, and cheap, plus you can put the baffles where you want. One of the reasons I cut the baffles out of the PNP system.

Of course premade is easy, but your stuck with what the manufacturer decided would work and they typically can't be changed(if made of acrylic).

Socks are a lot easier to clean then bioballs. They also serve different purposes. Socks are mechanical filtration, while bioballs are biological filtration. Socks can be used with the bioballs(again still not advisable anymore), or more rock, ceramic media, etc, to serve as a substitute for the bioballs(biological filtration).

With plenty of rockwork and a functioning ATS, pods won't be a problem. I have a leopard wrasse and mandarin, both fat and happy.

Unread 11/06/2017, 02:47 PM   #2431
homer1475
Registered Member

Of course I didn't think of the ascetic's either. Premade certainly looks nicer, but for me a sump is a place to hide the ugly. lol

Unread 11/06/2017, 02:58 PM   #2432
soulpatch
Registered Member

store/custom sump is not only better looking but compared to the PNP is better laid out with adjustable weirs and holes for pumps, dosing, and more. Heck a company like Trigger will do any change you want for the most part for the same cost as retail. I did a lot to mine for no more then a normal trigger sump costs and I wish I had done even more.

Though I would likely advocate custom for most I do understand that I run a slightly more complex system with more tubing then most tend to set up....

Unread 11/06/2017, 03:21 PM   #2433
homer1475
Registered Member

Anything is a whole heck of a lot better then what comes with the PNP system no doubt. But if your going to buy the PNP system, it's a decent sump tank. Just keep in mind you might want to cut the prebuilt baffles out and remake it.

Unread 11/06/2017, 08:00 PM   #2434
ksmmike
Registered Member

Thanks all,
Ive been running Steve ragged with all my pricing questions. He told me they have a 75 gallon too, but I don't see it on the web site. 36x24x20 I think he said. I'm leaning towards that or the 90 gallon which is 36x24x24 with the shadow ghost overflow box, and I guess using the bean animal method. Ill check out the Trigger sumps.

I don't want to wait 12 weeks or more for the tank to be cut and delivered, but I can still mess with my biocube till then. I have a tiny yellow tang that needs a larger home in the near future. He's the smallest one I've ever seen, which is the only reason I grabbed him up. My clowns were tiny when I got them too, but are growing fast. One grew a lot larger at first when they paired up, but are close to the same size now. That's been interesting to watch, but they still seemed to be paired up. They are always together in the tank and the larger one nips at the smaller one now and again. Its been fun to watch them.

I have a small pygmy angel too that gave the tang a hard time at first, but the tang is now the king of the tank even tho hes the smallest fish in there. Ill leave the angel in the biocube and move the others over. The angel really doesn't play well with any new inhabitants. I'd take him back but he's the wife's favorite. The same wife who didn't want anything to do with the me getting a tank but now wants something like you see on Tanked. Better than not caring a I guess

I'd like to get a Siamese angel and a yellow eyed Kole tang for the new tank, once its set up and going. Not sure of any others. Likely a carpenter wrasse and a diamond goby to keep the sand clean.

Mike

Unread 11/07/2017, 10:18 AM   #2435
FLSharkvictim
Registered Member

Got my custom SC-150 up!

Just getting my shopping list together on my plumbing. Already bought my substrate which is Tropic Eden Tonga MesoFlakes - 8 30lb bags. Also, installing the 20'' Synergy External Overflow box and a Ecotech M1 running my returns.

TANK INFO:
150 MIXED REEF

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5764.jpg (48.1 KB, 82 views)
FLSharkvictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2017, 04:22 PM   #2436
ksmmike
Registered Member

good luck Shark

Unread 11/08/2017, 06:10 PM   #2437
KJoFan
Registered Member

Hey guys, this isn't solely SCA related but I have the chance to pick up a used Lifereef SVS2-24 skimmer for my SCA 66g.

I'm currently running the SCA 302. I don't really have complaints about it other than it takes a second to get itself going if you shut it off, but it skims pretty well.

So...since I don't NEED a new skimmer is the Lifereef "upgrade" worth it?

Anyone with experience with either skimmer or both or just have an educated opinion?

KJoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2017, 07:04 PM   #2438
soulpatch
Registered Member

I have the lifereef and it is an incredible skimmer and I'd recommend all day every day

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Unread 11/08/2017, 07:19 PM   #2439
Bpb
Registered Member

Yep. I upgraded a perfectly good enough skimmer because I came across a lifereef for a price I couldn’t refuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2017, 08:40 PM   #2440
KJoFan
Registered Member

Well, I don't know how good/bad the price is, but seems like the upgrade is a smart move.

It doesn't come with a pump, any suggestions on a pump for my size tank?

Unread 11/09/2017, 07:14 AM   #2441
Bpb
Registered Member

I️ run a jebao dcp 10000. It’s perfectly fine but if it died on me or I️ could do it over again I’d get a fluval sp4. AC pumps will actually use LESS energy than DC pumps on this skimmer, and the only benefit to a dc pump is turning it down. Just keep in mind that the Venturi can handle a max flow of about 1600 gph. Any more than that it’s just wasted energy, and the less you use, the less foam you’ll get

Unread 11/09/2017, 09:35 AM   #2442
KJoFan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpb View Post
I️ run a jebao dcp 10000. It’s perfectly fine but if it died on me or I️ could do it over again I’d get a fluval sp4. AC pumps will actually use LESS energy than DC pumps on this skimmer, and the only benefit to a dc pump is turning it down. Just keep in mind that the Venturi can handle a max flow of about 1600 gph. Any more than that it’s just wasted energy, and the less you use, the less foam you’ll get

The Fluval SP4 says it’s rated at 1822 gph. Is that not a bit overpowered? Based on your 1600 gph max?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 11/09/2017, 09:43 AM   #2443
Bpb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoFan View Post
The Fluval SP4 says it’s rated at 1822 gph. Is that not a bit overpowered? Based on your 1600 gph max?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A tad bit. You can dial it back a touch with a gate valve or a ball valve

Unread 11/09/2017, 10:50 AM   #2444
soulpatch
Registered Member

I have a DC12000 on my lifereef. I typically run it darn near full power but prefer DC for the reason that at times I feed heavier or feeding corals and I can turn the pump down a few notches on the controller to ensure it doesnt pull anything out of the water column but it continues to supply O2 to the water. Also when and if I run something like chemipure I can change the flow rates without messing with valves

That all said the default pump sent with the lifereef is a mag18 which is 1800 GPH...

Unread 11/11/2017, 11:51 AM   #2445
KJoFan
Registered Member

I have a WaterBlaster 7000 that's rated at 1800 gph. Maybe I can use that and not need to buy a new pump...

Unread 11/13/2017, 12:51 PM   #2446
dickeybrazil
Registered Member

Anyone know if you can do a Bean Animal setup on the 50g PNP and add an additional hole or two for the return?

dickeybrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 01:55 PM   #2447
GfordQC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickeybrazil View Post
Anyone know if you can do a Bean Animal setup on the 50g PNP and add an additional hole or two for the return?
Yes! Steve does custom tanks so he should be able to do that no problem. Just give him a call. He will probably ask for a drawing of some type to know the location for the return hole(s)

Build Thread:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2600702
GfordQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 03:59 PM   #2448
dickeybrazil
Registered Member

Thanks, any recommendations from the board as to ideal return location?

dickeybrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 04:41 AM   #2449
homer1475
Registered Member

2 back corners of the tank. IMO

Unread 11/17/2017, 07:02 AM   #2450
ksmmike
Registered Member

The best laid plans, eh. After I had decided on getting a shadow overflow and a custom tank from SCA, they put the 90 gallon PNP on sale. Since I can get the stand, skimmer, tank, sump and return pump for less than the cost of the custom tank and overflow, it's hard to pass on the sale.

So, it looks like I'll be ordering the 90 gallon PNP system soon. That being said, I know some of you have told me to upgrade the return pump, which I will do and eventually replace the skimmer in the future. I'll upgrade the pump right away.

My question is for homer1475 and anyone else who upgraded the bulkheads. I think homer told me he did. What did you use? Arent the holes 1" in the PNP? Did you upgrade to the schedule 80 double threaded 1" bulkheads. Since I have to order rock and other things, I wanted to get the bulkheads and some plumbing now to save on shipping later.

I'm going to get Pukani dry rock and cure it in a bucket for 10 weeks, then set up the tank with live sand and the cured rock. I'll run it with the new setup for a week or so and put in some snails, then add a few corals after a couple of weeks. I figure since the rock should already be cured and cycled, I should be ahead of the curve in adding livestock to the tank. After about 3-4 months of only coral and snails, I'll add the 2 clowns from my current tank and start to populate with other fish, one each week until I get to about 6 fish and then let it settle for a couple months. Then I'll add a few more. That's the plan, I hope it works. It's a 12 month plan.

Thanks
Mike