Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/25/2009, 07:25 AM   #351
Aquabucket
Premium Member

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by salali View Post
Nice tank I did see this before. I want to ask you how is the Dragonface Pipefish?
Had him almost a year now. I've been trying to get a mate for him but no luck so far.

Unread 10/26/2009, 11:33 AM   #352
Rainfords
Registered Member

I have followed this thread for awhile and love all that you have done with your tank! The colors are trully amazing! Your tank inspired me to go skimmerless on my new tank that has almost been setup a year and is going great!

If you ever want to get rid of or frag out the pipe organ that looks like cream flowers let me know. I have loved this coral and have never seen a pipe organ that looks like it.

Rainfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2009, 02:12 PM   #353
MrineLfRlz
Registered Member

Pop the hood

really great looking tank!
but is it to much to ask to look under the hood at what makes this machine per?

Current Tank Info: BubbleMagus(calc.,alk/Clearwater CW-300 Scrubber//56wAQUA UV/Reef Oct.SRO6000SSS Protein sk./1/10HP Chiller/GENESIS AWC
MrineLfRlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2009, 03:50 PM   #354
erniemo
Registered Member

sweeeeeeet

erniemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2009, 04:25 PM   #355
sassyfrassy
Registered Member

What an inspiration to see your tank! I have a 65g (36X18X24 tall) that I'm getting ready to set up. I DO NOT HAVE THOUSANDS (OR EVEN 1 THOUSAND) TO SPEND ON EQUIPMENT! I have a friend who is giving me LR and surface sand (for bacteria)to go on top of my 2" sand - but looks like you might have CC on the bottom of your tank. The LR did have tough brillo-pad-looking algae growing on it, but he says most of that is gone (no light for quite a while). Would it be OK to use this LR? Do you have a thread you've kept going from when you first started your tank? I would love to emulate EXACTLY what you have done, because I consider your tank to be the ULTIMATE IN SUCCESS. Would you consider helping me along as I start my tank? A lot to ask I know. I have a RO/DI unit for my fill water, although we are on well water so I don't have to worry about chemical additives in my water (though it has a lot of sediment in it). I need lights and plan to use T5s, do you have glass top on your tank? Thanks, Carolyn

sassyfrassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2009, 06:01 PM   #356
FishTruck
Premium Member

I am going to throw away my skimmer! Awesome tank!

Current Tank Info: Established 2009 - 300 gal acrylic mostly sps, radion LEDs
FishTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2009, 02:26 PM   #357
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

Any chance you could identify all the corals you have in the tank?

Check my homepage for tank pics and details.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon, 2x maxspect R420R LED, 4 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Flame Angel, Foxface Rabbitfish, Banggai Cardinals, Azure Damsel, rock flower anemone, cleaner shrimp, serpent star
Frogmanx82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2009, 08:47 AM   #358
heckhole
Registered Member

That's awesome. I've gone against the grain with 2 tanks, 36g corner with no sump/skimmer and now a 75g with no sump/skimmer.

I do not use macros, I do not use RO/DI or distilled water.

I do a 5 gallon water change every week, only have to clean the glass about once a month and even when I do scrape the glass, it doesn't really need it.

I don't know much about the chemistry with a saltwater tank. I dose for Mag/Alk once a week, I have no test kits and no real desire to learn the chemistry until I get the itch to try SPS. Ignorant, I know...considering the money I have invested into the livestock, but I wanted to see how far I could push the limits with none of this 'required' equipment according to so many reefers.

I love your tank, if I had a decent camera I would post some pics - all I have are pics from my iPhone.

heckhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2009, 09:28 AM   #359
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

With one post and no description of your livestock heckhole, its hardly saying much about how well you are doing with your lack of equipment.

Dosing mag and alk with no test kits is just senseless. Take some time and read up on what people are doing in successful tanks before you go any further with your livestock. It will really enhance your appreciation of the hobby.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon, 2x maxspect R420R LED, 4 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Flame Angel, Foxface Rabbitfish, Banggai Cardinals, Azure Damsel, rock flower anemone, cleaner shrimp, serpent star
Unread 10/29/2009, 01:10 PM   #360
heckhole
Registered Member

LFS tests my water, I dose accordingly. I like coral, not fish.

heckhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2009, 06:31 PM   #361
onecoder
Registered Member

nice tank

Very nice tank. It is good to see that there are many ways to keep this hobby going. I am getting back into it after 3 years away with a Oceanic Nano set up, and like seeing this with less equipment to buy.

I do have a question. I an going to just use the built in filtration set up on the tank, would you ecoment removing the bio balls, and going with the poly, carbon, and Cheto in its place?

Also do you know if I can use LED for the Cheto lighting?

onecoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2009, 10:23 PM   #362
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

LED is pretty expensive for chaeto when a cheap spiral compact fluorescent will do.

Most people will tell you to ditch the bioballs if you have live rock. There really isn't a need for bacterial sites for nitrate conversion when the tank is full of live rock. Better is carbon and phosphate removal media.

Unread 11/01/2009, 04:10 PM   #363
dmpiccirillo
Registered Member

Awesome

Great looking tank! You got any tips?

dmpiccirillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2010, 03:34 PM   #364
rafa316
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrineLfRlz View Post
really great looking tank!
but is it to much to ask to look under the hood at what makes this machine per?
Yeah! show!

Current Tank Info: 75g. - Rena xP4 Canister Filter - 65w T5 -2 inch sandbed - 60lbs live rock - 2 Ocellaris Clownfish - 1 Yellow Watchman Gobie - 6 Nassaiurs Snails - 1 Bumblebee Snail - 2 Emerald Crabs - 1 Red Legged Hermit Crab
rafa316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2010, 12:00 PM   #365
Aquabucket
Premium Member

Sorry I did not get to answering all of your questions but if you look back at all my tank threads I am sure the answers are there.

I am sad to announce that I broke down this tank a few days ago.

You can read more about it here.

Unread 02/11/2010, 09:19 AM   #366
rafa316
Registered Member

Aquabucket, Thank you for posting your tank pictures and stories. I kept many of sumpless skinmerless reefers inspired. Best of luck in your new adventures!

Current Tank Info: 75g. - Rena xP4 Canister Filter - 65w T5 -2 inch sandbed - 60lbs live rock - 2 Ocellaris Clownfish - 1 Yellow Watchman Gobie - 6 Nassaiurs Snails - 1 Bumblebee Snail - 2 Emerald Crabs - 1 Red Legged Hermit Crab
rafa316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2012, 02:04 PM   #367
FlyTekk
Registered Member

This tank is amazing and will be my inspiration. What type of salt did you use?

FlyTekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2013, 08:42 PM   #368
KrisDM
Registered Member

Congrats on a cool looking tank! Nice colors, very impressive.

KrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote