Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/13/2016, 06:54 AM   #76
vitodog
Registered Member

Good job. I really like the new scape. How are the mini flakes doing with regard to your current flow? Based on your video, it does not seem to be blowing all over.

Unread 01/13/2016, 02:59 PM   #77
Broadfield
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitodog View Post
Good job. I really like the new scape. How are the mini flakes doing with regard to your current flow? Based on your video, it does not seem to be blowing all over.
The mini flakes are simply awesome! The sand does shift slightly... building up in certain areas over time. I guess making, what you could call, small drifts like snow does. I like this though... I don't really like it when the sand is perfectly flat across the tank. But when it "drifts" like this, it doesn't really kick the sand up into water column at all... the sand particles just kind of roll over the top of the sand bed. It's great!

Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2016, 03:06 PM   #78
Broadfield
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVW View Post
What sch 80 adapter did you use between your return plumbing and the Rea Sea plumbing?

Tank looks great btw!

Thanks
I used this type of fitting, but I don't recall if the threaded section was 3/4" or 1". I bought both... so when I get home I'll check to see which one I didn't use

Unread 01/16/2016, 11:58 PM   #79
Branespikin
Registered Member

How you liking that Nyos 120? I am getting the rSR 450 next week just stocking up on euipment. Wanted to get Nyos but wasnt sure on 120 or 160. Your thoughts?

Branespikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2016, 10:50 AM   #80
Broadfield
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branespikin View Post
How you liking that Nyos 120? I am getting the rSR 450 next week just stocking up on euipment. Wanted to get Nyos but wasnt sure on 120 or 160. Your thoughts?
I'm really happy with it. It's dead silent and produces an insane foam. I also pondered swapping out my 120 for the 160 in the future, but for now, my nitrates are still at 0.

Unread 01/17/2016, 09:27 PM   #81
Chrisq0904
Moved On

How are you liking the Neptune wav?? More importantly how do you like them compared to the vortech's? I'm on the fence about which to go wit on my tank.

Ps really like the new scape!

Chrisq0904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2016, 11:37 AM   #82
Broadfield
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisq0904 View Post
How are you liking the Neptune wav?? More importantly how do you like them compared to the vortech's? I'm on the fence about which to go wit on my tank.

Ps really like the new scape!
The WAV is amazing. If you have an Apex, then I really can't see a reason to go with Vortechs. The WAV has all of the same modes, they can be angled, no large motor assemblies on the outside of the tank, far cheaper($499) than a pair of MP40's($700) + WXM module for Apex($125). It's designed to work directly with the Apex, so you get bonus features like pump temp, RPM, flow etc. The pumps even shut off instantly when removed from the water... which is great if you want to simply pull it out quickly and brush off algae build-up etc.

Unread 01/21/2016, 09:16 AM   #83
Branespikin
Registered Member

Hey thanks for commenting. I ended up getting Vertex 170i with royal exclusive red dragon pump. Also from your comment above will most likely go for a pair of neptune WAV pumps.

Branespikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2016, 12:14 PM   #84
DVW
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
I used this type of fitting, but I don't recall if the threaded section was 3/4" or 1". I bought both... so when I get home I'll check to see which one I didn't use

The Red Sea return plumbing is metric so a 3/4" adapter does not fit perfectly. Did you do anything to make it fit better?

DVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2016, 06:29 PM   #85
Broadfield
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVW View Post
The Red Sea return plumbing is metric so a 3/4" adapter does not fit perfectly. Did you do anything to make it fit better?
Nope, just used extra Teflon tape.... works perfect!

Unread 02/16/2016, 07:51 AM   #86
janci
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
Finished my media reactor setup. I decided to do a manifold inline with the return line. I did 3/4" schedule 80 out of an EcoTech Vectra M1 DC pump. Up from there into the 3/4" manifold, which T's out to 1/2" gate valves and into the reactors. Works absolutely perfect. This is my first time doing anything with plumbing at all, so I was pretty happy with the results.

A shot of my water change line. Simply priming this line, turning off the pump, open the valve in the image, open the drain valve in the basement... instant syphon to drain the entire main sump area. I love sitting in the chair in front of my tank and using Apex Fusion to turn on the basement pump to pump salt water back up to the sump. I really hated lugging buckets around with my old tank.

Are your reactors "hanging" at the PVS piping or could you fabricate a small support?
Like the setup a lot.

janci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2016, 02:25 AM   #87
Broadfield
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janci View Post
Are your reactors "hanging" at the PVS piping or could you fabricate a small support?
Like the setup a lot.
IMG_4078 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_4085 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Unread 02/20/2016, 11:54 AM   #88
PrestoReef
Registered Member

Totally love the attention to detail and passion in this setup. The power/electronics command center in such is a small space is innovative and awesome eye candy. I'm setting up an XL425 after 10 years off from the hobby...your work will provide great inspiration. Thanks for taking the time to share.

PrestoReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2016, 12:02 PM   #89
Broadfield
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestoReef View Post
Totally love the attention to detail and passion in this setup. The power/electronics command center in such is a small space is innovative and awesome eye candy. I'm setting up an XL425 after 10 years off from the hobby...your work will provide great inspiration. Thanks for taking the time to share.
Thank you! I actually forgot to post pics of it all cleaned up behind the control panel. Also changed some of the items out on the control panel... I got rid of the Vortechs and picked up the WAV. Where the Vortech controllers were I mounted my Puratek level controller:

IMG_5424 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_5282 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Unread 02/20/2016, 01:03 PM   #90
oseymour
Euphyllia Addict

So cleaned and organized! Good work.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350
oseymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2016, 01:11 PM   #91
PrestoReef
Registered Member

Glad you could simplify with WAV...I'm prolly going that way too. Thanks for the close-up shot. Did you lose the EB4? I was wondering if I need to expand beyond the EB8. Also, is your Puratek integrated with the Apex in any way?

Unread 02/21/2016, 10:14 PM   #92
Broadfield
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestoReef View Post
Glad you could simplify with WAV...I'm prolly going that way too. Thanks for the close-up shot. Did you lose the EB4? I was wondering if I need to expand beyond the EB8. Also, is your Puratek integrated with the Apex in any way?
The EB4 is in the basement controlling mixing station/water change goodies... pump, heater, powerhead etc. Also another PM2 Salinity module for monitoring temp and salinity in my saltwater reservoir.

Aside from power, the Puratek is not integrated with the Apex. The Puratek is completely self contained... I'm not really sure what I would even do differently if it did work with the Apex.

Unread 02/22/2016, 06:52 PM   #93
Broadfield
Registered Member

Picked up the Innovative Marine Gourmet Defroster... man I love this thing for feeding cubed Mysis and Brine. I haven't really tried it out for pellets or ground up flake yet.

Unread 02/23/2016, 10:57 PM   #94
PrestoReef
Registered Member

Makes sense on the EB4..the basement support team needs some TLC too

Unread 03/01/2016, 11:49 AM   #95
Broadfield
Registered Member

Changed up my aquascape... again. The more I look at the simplistic rock work in other's reefs, the more I'm drawn into the minimalism look. I also needed to make more room on the sand bed for more LPS etc.

Equipment wise, I upgraded the Nyos 120 to a Nyos 160. I got too good of a deal to pass it up.

Unread 03/06/2016, 01:02 PM   #96
DrCooper
Registered Member

Amazing build! Going between Reefer 350 and 450. Your setup is super clean!

DrCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2016, 04:53 PM   #97
fredv32
Registered Member

Awesome Tank

Are the AI Prime doing well for you in your tank? Do you feel like its under powered to support sps? I have a shallow tank, 80 gallon (deep blue). I like the sleek look of the AI Prime's. Just wanted to see if you feel like you're lacking sufficient light...things are looking great though!

fredv32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2016, 08:10 PM   #98
Broadfield
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredv32 View Post
Are the AI Prime doing well for you in your tank? Do you feel like its under powered to support sps? I have a shallow tank, 80 gallon (deep blue). I like the sleek look of the AI Prime's. Just wanted to see if you feel like you're lacking sufficient light...things are looking great though!
I think the Primes are great little lights and just right for anything 22" tall or less... at least at the spectrum I'm running of 15k. You may run out of PAR if you go 20k or more.... I'm sure though. I actually have them as high as they will go on the mounts... so technically there's a little more PAR capability in them for me if I lower them. I have great growth out of a green birds nest, bird of paradise, purple and green stylos, purple tabling acro etc.

If you would like, I can take some PAR measurements at whatever spectrum you would like. I'm using a Seneye PAR meter, which is actually very accurate at reading the blue spectrum of LED's.

Unread 03/10/2016, 09:23 PM   #99
10secv6
Registered Member

Ok so I'm glad I'm not the only one with two expensive hobbies. So I've been following your post and really think you tank is beautiful. I'm tossed right now bc I had my heart set on a 450 but just got a chnace to buy and Elos 120xl and I'm sure which way to go now. Is you tank loud at all. It's going in my family room and last rimless she hated bc it was loud when watching tv. Are u happy with the red sea sump and overflow setup.

Just so I can join in here is my 1991 GMC Syclone truck makes 900hp and only has 34k orginal miles. I've owned if for 15 years

10secv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2016, 09:48 PM   #100
oldbones
Registered Member

Can you please share your color channel percentages for 15k? I'm running 3 primes over my 34" 56g custom.

oldbones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aqua illuminations, nyos, red sea, reefer 450