Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/02/2018, 04:51 PM   #1
mfinn
Registered Member

RD3 80 watt and feed mode

I was thinking about adding a cheap controller ( Reef Keeper Lite) to my system, mostly just to add a feed mode.
I use the RD3 80watt as my return pump.
Any reason why I shouldn't?

Not looking for a debate on the feed mode.

Unread 01/02/2018, 05:05 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

As you know, the RD3 80 doesn’t have a built in feed mode. Using a controller to shut the pump off daily which is similar to unplugging the pump for feeding is certainly an option but considering that the RD3 is an electronic device with a computer like controller and unlike a typical AC powered up, electronic devices typically are more sensitive to inrush currents and being powered on and off constantly. My best analogy since I am in the computer manufacturing business is this. Think of it like a computer. If you leave your computer running 24/7 it’s much less likely to fail than if you turn it on and off every day. Most failures happen when being powered back on and my fear would be that cutting the power to the RD3 every day could potentially increase the risk of premature failure.

While I am not a fan of using feed modes on return pumps because they increase the sump levels which can cause skimmers to overflow and also because the return can help distribute food throughout the tank to the fish and coral, if feed mode on a return pump is a necessity, the better solution would be to use 0-10v control to slow the pump down. That would however require a controller with 0-10v capabilities.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2018, 05:38 PM   #3
mfinn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
As you know, the RD3 80 doesn’t have a built in feed mode. Using a controller to shut the pump off daily which is similar to unplugging the pump for feeding is certainly an option but considering that the RD3 is an electronic device with a computer like controller and unlike a typical AC powered up, electronic devices typically are more sensitive to inrush currents and being powered on and off constantly. My best analogy since I am in the computer manufacturing business is this. Think of it like a computer. If you leave your computer running 24/7 it’s much less likely to fail than if you turn it on and off every day. Most failures happen when being powered back on and my fear would be that cutting the power to the RD3 every day could potentially increase the risk of premature failure.

While I am not a fan of using feed modes on return pumps because they increase the sump levels which can cause skimmers to overflow and also because the return can help distribute food throughout the tank to the fish and coral, if feed mode on a return pump is a necessity, the better solution would be to use 0-10v control to slow the pump down. That would however require a controller with 0-10v capabilities.
I've honestly never heard of any other pump having warnings about not running a feed mode with.
I would think a higher end pump such as this could take it.

Having been a heavy feeder the last decade or so, and having recently re-started my 240 ( with lots of bare rock ), I plan on cutting back the amount of food I put in the tank, and I want it to stay there. It does no good in the sump.
I have plenty of other flow in the tank ( 48x) so the return pump isn't needed for flow.
I am not worried about the rise of the sump/skimmer etc. Got that covered.

Having successfully stayed away from controllers over the years, what controller would have the 0-10v feature?

Unread 01/02/2018, 06:50 PM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfinn View Post
I've honestly never heard of any other pump having warnings about not running a feed mode with.
I would think a higher end pump such as this could take it.

Having been a heavy feeder the last decade or so, and having recently re-started my 240 ( with lots of bare rock ), I plan on cutting back the amount of food I put in the tank, and I want it to stay there. It does no good in the sump.
I have plenty of other flow in the tank ( 48x) so the return pump isn't needed for flow.
I am not worried about the rise of the sump/skimmer etc. Got that covered.

Having successfully stayed away from controllers over the years, what controller would have the 0-10v feature?
Feed mode isn’t a concern on a pump that has feed mode. Many do including the RD3 150 and RD3 230 as well as some of the DC pumps from other manufacturers. It is more the turning the outlet on and off every day which is what you will be doing that concerns me. This isn’t coming from a Royal Exclusiv perspective either. I’d say the same thing about any electronic pump that doesn’t have a build in feed mode. While it should not be an issue, my analogy to computers comes from 30 years in the computer manufacturing and service business. I don’t shut my computers off often. Especially our servers because that tends to be when something goes sideways. Having fixed hundreds of computers over the years with high end power supplies, most issues occur after a power failure and shutting an outlet off to the pump is very similar to a power failure as far as the pump is concerned. As such, my suggestion was more precautionary than anything because unlike a pump like an Iwaki for example, these pumps have an electronic controller and I personally am not a fan of shutting the power outlets off on electronic devices every day. You could just as easily push and hold the down arrow on the RD3 controller to drop it to it’s lowest speed when you are feeding as opposed to powering the outlet off via a controller.

As for 0-10v control, Apex & Profilux are two controllers that come to mind that have feed mode and are supported by the RD3. The RD3 80 also requires an additional 0-10v interface which can be purchased from our website. You also need to have the 0-10v capable RD3 which is easy to identify as it has a tiny little din connection with a black cap on it located between the power cable and pump cable on the RD3’s controller.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2018, 09:21 AM   #5
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Reef Keeper has a 0-10v connection on it too.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote