Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/03/2009, 02:23 PM   #26
dahenley
Registered Member

The tank came with 3 x 400w MH and I will probably add a few floresent to give it good color if it needs it. Right now I'm really trying to think of a good, quiet, and not too bulky looking way to vent and keep my canapy cool.

240display, reef in progress

Current Tank Info: 240 display, a few frags here and there. lots of fish, and lots of watching. (230 big screen getting re-sealed and going to add to the gallonage) My wife has no clue how addicted i really am.....
dahenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2009, 03:34 PM   #27
dahenley
Registered Member

My water has been clearing up, and i just put one of the last baffles in my sump. I will take some pictures when my wife brings home her camera and give a little update. When my last fittings come in the mail I will do the plumbing and get it really up and running. (the other fittings were miss labled so i have to send them back and wait some more!) I posted a new thread on "tubes" and i just wanted to know if people would submit some pictures of the way yall plumbed under your tanks or in your tank rooms. thanks :-)

Current Tank Info: 240 display, a few frags here and there. lots of fish, and lots of watching. (230 big screen getting re-sealed and going to add to the gallonage) My wife has no clue how addicted i really am.....
Unread 04/08/2009, 05:35 PM   #28
cayenne
Premium Member

Did you order the dry Fiji or the calcium carbonate rock from Bulk Reef?

Current Tank Info: 300G, Bubble King SMII, Tunze 6101's, 250W MH's, Teco SeaChill Chiller, ACIII, MRC CR6 Calcium Reactor, 120 Watt Aqua UV
cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2009, 07:39 PM   #29
dahenley
Registered Member

The "Reef Saver" ECO Rock. I was very pleased!! I have some rock in my 55gal that im seeding the new rock with. I like this rock because it was very clean and porus. Not to mention that there will be no die off so cycling will not be as long in my big tank. I just rinced it in a series of buckets and put it in!

Unread 04/12/2009, 05:46 PM   #30
dahenley
Registered Member

Well the right stuff still hasn't showed so I emprovised. I hooked everything up and turned on all the pumps and skimmer and things were looking good for like 2 seconds. My blueline aqua pump is making some killer noise so it seems like I'm going to have to buy a replacement pump. I'm thinking of ordering a reeflo dart? Once I get a new pump then I can start moving some water again. But in the mean time, I put the canopy on and the 400w mh going. Will post some pictures next week when the cable guy shows and gives me Internet again.

Unread 04/12/2009, 06:17 PM   #31
mcdonaldtj
Registered Member

looks like a good find good luck getting things running.

mcdonaldtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2009, 12:58 PM   #32
sunsetSPS
Registered Member

Thanks for showing us, tagging along.

sunsetSPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2009, 01:18 PM   #33
Jflip2002
Eagles & Tigers Fan

Have you checked your rock thats curing for phosphates? I really would have went with what Ed suggested, and soaked the dry rock in RODI water until it redy 0 phosphates. Thats a big tank, and Id rather do things right the first time, even if it takes a week or two longer.

Current Tank Info: 40g Breeder
Jflip2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2009, 02:42 PM   #34
dahenley
Registered Member

update

well, this is the picture with the hood on and the lights going. the front needs to be wiped down and it will look better. sorry about the bad picture, it was taken with my phone. the 2 hoses on the front are a rio and a mag7 circulating while my dart is on the way. you can see the new rock and some of my old rock along with my fish. everything checked out and my water is fine so it will just have to look like crap with all the plumbing and cords everywhere. maybe later in the week when the pump arives and i get internet at the house again i will give some better pictures and also some picture of my sump and skimmer in action.

Unread 04/16/2009, 11:26 AM   #35
dahenley
Registered Member

Question for anyone watching, my skimmer has been running for a few days(4). Then I woke up before going to school and there was nothing in my catch can. Then i went to school, then after school about 3 oclock I had just left my LFS picking up my new dart pump (which is pritty cool might i say) then came home. I checked my tank and my catch can was full of water (about a gal) and there about 2 gal in the bottom of my stand! (being very ****ed, i cleanded it up and couldnt understand why it would just "fart" and pour 3 gal out. it has been runnig for 3 weeds total and its adjusted to where the bubble line is 4-5 in from the top. any sugestions or reasons why it would just do this out of the blue? anyone else experienced this?

Unread 04/16/2009, 10:11 PM   #36
dahenley
Registered Member

I went to my local hardware store and got me some fittings. I hooked up the reeflo Dart and was very amazed at how quiet it runs. One thing that I will say is that no mater what the specs say about the dart and the Blue Line 70HD, the blue line has way more pressure and output than the dart. As far as the noise, my Blue Line is wore out and havent heard a new one for comparison. If anyone is needing a pump to push water long distances or up a few stories then i would look into a Blue Line. I will say that with the Dart, I was able to open all the valves on my return lines (the lock lines for my home made wave and circulation) and let it go. I did find a leak, but I think its where my flex hose meets my fittings. I didnt have any clamps and was too impatient to go get some before i fired it up.

Unread 04/21/2009, 06:37 PM   #37
dahenley
Registered Member

my tank is geeting clear almost perfect and the few fish that i have love the new tank too. i have a few pesky leakes that i have to tend to (its like when you fix one leak then another one emerges). once all those get fixed and i get my skimmer dieled in, oh and put the last door on my canapy them i should be done, for now!!! ah haha. then it will be time for more equipment!!!!

Unread 04/21/2009, 06:37 PM   #38
dahenley
Registered Member

my tank is geeting clear almost perfect and the few fish that i have love the new tank too. i have a few pesky leakes that i have to tend to (its like when you fix one leak then another one emerges). once all those get fixed and i get my skimmer dieled in, oh and put the last door on my canapy them i should be done, for now!!! ah haha. then it will be time for more equipment!!!!

Unread 11/12/2009, 09:12 PM   #39
GregC
Registered Member

Any updates? Just wondering how ts going with the old COMAS tank.

Unread 11/12/2009, 10:54 PM   #40
dahenley
Registered Member

http://s938.photobucket.com/albums/a...DSCN6322-1.flv
http://s938.photobucket.com/albums/a...DSCN6322-1.flv
http://s938.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCN6323.flv
http://s938.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCN6323.flv
here are 2 crappy videos that i took.
i have neglected the tank some because of school. i never got around to redoing the sump area, but one day i will and it will look better.
and the front may look a little weird, the molding on the tank let go. (the silicone finally gave up and i havent put it back yet.

let me know if those work.

Unread 11/12/2009, 10:56 PM   #41
dahenley
Registered Member

Unread 11/12/2009, 10:59 PM   #42
dahenley
Registered Member

Unread 11/12/2009, 11:00 PM   #43
dahenley
Registered Member

im still trying to figure out the camera. each shot is different but yet of the same things......
i hope this helps. (it sucks because most of my corals are frags and 55% dont show up good on camera.)

Unread 11/12/2009, 11:03 PM   #44
GregC
Registered Member

Yea I hear ya my camera is not the best as well, good to see the tank getting some good use, thanks for the update.

Unread 11/12/2009, 11:04 PM   #45
GregC
Registered Member

Those pics look good by the way.

Unread 12/06/2009, 08:05 AM   #46
CARDO
Registered Member

I'm glad you saw the diamond in the ruff. Any updates.

Current Tank Info: 150 gallon under construction
CARDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2009, 09:27 AM   #47
dahenley
Registered Member

i will try to get a friend to bring his Digital Camera over and i will get some updates. (my 35mm and I just arnt getting along.) not to mention it takes so long to go through a roll of film and get them developed.

Unread 12/06/2009, 10:58 AM   #48
CARDO
Registered Member

Cool, I look forward to it. Don't let me burden you, it's just that everybody else's tanks fuels my aquarium dream (piecing mine together, piece by piece).

Current Tank Info: 150 gallon under construction
CARDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2009, 01:25 PM   #49
d-man
Registered Member

with those halides are you planning to do sps?

d-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2009, 01:43 PM   #50
dahenley
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-man View Post
with those halides are you planning to do sps?
most of my corals are hard corals. they are mostly starter corals..... lots of 5$ frags. (thats why its hard to see them in the pictures.)
i have a lot of monti's a few birdsnest, some MISC acros and stags. a bonzi and some others that i have no idea what they are.

i do have 2 candycane corals a large xenia rock and zoas are all i have.

i will try to get some close ups of what i have. (other wise you wont see them.)