Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/04/2011, 09:25 PM   #1
fishyman12
Registered Member

Question Hanging light fixture

Any ideas on how to hang my reef tank light fixture Dom the ceiling? Has anyone had any big failures with this?

fishyman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2011, 10:05 PM   #2
mnavick
Registered Member

Toggle bolts/Easy Anchors (Home Depot/Lowe's). Just make sure they are weight appropriate. Maybe you will be lucky enough for the light to line up with the ceiling joists/ferring strips and then you can use straight metal wood screws.

150g Mixed Reef with 90g&55g Sump/Fuge
mnavick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2011, 10:34 PM   #3
cakemanPA
Premium Member

If you can hit the joists, wood screws/drywall screws. If you are just going into drywall, use the toggle bolts.

cakemanPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2011, 10:53 PM   #4
syrinx
Registered Member

If the joists don`t line up in convinient spots- just use a piece of wood that can connect to the joists, then connect the lights to the wood. You can use toggle bolts- and they might work- but if you hired someone to do it- they would not use them.

syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2011, 10:34 AM   #5
fishyman12
Registered Member

Thanks to all, I have my light up and running

fishyman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2011, 11:56 AM   #6
RocketSurgeon
Registered Member

no pics?

RocketSurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2011, 03:09 PM   #7
patmack
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
no pics?
Ya! Its always interesting to see how people mount lights.

patmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2011, 04:58 PM   #8
dumnorix
Registered Member

Quote - "You can use toggle bolts- and they might work- but if you hired someone to do it- they would not use them."

I couldn't help saying something after this one - I have worked for many years doing renovations (and fixing tons of bad handyman-style work) and the idea that someone paid for doing work wouldn't use toggles is absolutely ludicrous. Toggles seem like the go-to solution and they are just sloppy,mis-used and overrated. They are no stronger than the material the toggle holds the bolt against.

Anyway, I wouldn't use drywall screws at all - they rust easily and shear off even easier - they are not rated for holding weight vertically at all and only have the shear strength en-masse when attaching drywall, thus the name. I agree with syrinx in the other respect however, using a piece of wood, or even tube steel, or aluminum between structural members, and you can make it a decorative part of you overall hanging light fixture. Screw or bolt eyes come in various grades, welded or through-bolted U's are awesome and whenever suspending anything, err to the side of overcompensating for weight.

You may also try supports mounted to the walls, which can also be very decorative. Any way you do it, consider trying to conceal any wiring to make the overall look as clean as possible. Tube around whatever suspension method - aircraft cable, chain or whatever give a good run for wires. Look at high end chandeliers and other pendant-style fixtures (i.e. a Google search) to get more ideas.

Good luck!

dumnorix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights hanging diy fail